Waterproof W7 vs Bare Reactive 7mm Wetsuit Experience (Sizing and Warmth)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Hi, my recent experience with the Waterproof W7 wetsuit is just the opposite, I and the dive shop from which I purchased the wetsuit both feel the Waterproof sizing charts run small.

I'm 5'9" and weigh approximately 165 lbs. My previous wetsuit was a large size 8/7 mm Aqualung SolAfx, used it for 12 years and was happy with its performance but it (like me) was beginning to show its age. At the time of purchase I had looked at Waterproof wetsuits at that time but was more cost conscious back then.

Now that cost is less of a concern to me, and knowing that this will likely be the last cold water wetsuit I will ever purchase, I splurged on a complete Waterproof outfit; 7 mm W7 wetsuit, 1 mm Neoskin, U1 2/5 mm hooded vest, and 5 mm G1 gloves. I tried all in large size but except for the gloves all other items were too tight, had to go to extra large size for proper fit. This surprised me, as I was swimming in the extra large size Aqualung SolAfx wetsuit I had tried on.

If you're seriously considering a Waterproof wetsuit I strongly urge you to not rely on the Waterproof sizing chart and instead go to dive shop and try one on before making a purchase. I know that's easier said than done, there aren't a great deal of dive shops that carry Waterproof products; the local dive shop I patronize doesn't so I needed to go to a different shop 90 minutes driving time away.
Wow, this is diverges massively from their size chart if you need an XL with those dimensions. I guess I'll have to travel to find a dealer with a few sizes in stock.

A suit that fits properly is going to be much better in almost all regards than one that does not fit well. It may be that you will be better served by visiting local shops and finding a suit that fits well as opposed to selecting a specific make that is not readily available to you. Living in south Florida, I’ve had the advantage of having a large number of shops nearby to choose from and find what I want or need. In fact, I live within just a few miles of a custom wetsuit maker. I would not consider purchasing an off the rack suit without being able to try it on.

Well, I drove an hour and a half to a Waterproof dealer. No Bare dealers within striking distance (that had stock, at least). Here's how it went:

I am 180cm (almost 5'11"). Still need to shed my winter bulk, so weight is currently up to 86.2Kg (~190 lbs). I would call myself muscular with ~10-12lbs to lose on the next cut to reach my ideal weight (trim, but not ripped). I have quite a broad upper back/shoulders and thick (but not speed skater thick) hips/legs.

The Large W7 (7mm) fit like a glove. It was snug everywhere with no room to spare and without feeling like I needed to stretch it super hard to get it on, exactly as wetsuit should fit. Definitely the easiest to don well-fitting suit I've ever tried.

The XL was obviously too big. While very comfortable dry, there were voids that would have led to flushing when wet and the wrist/ankle seals were too loose.

I was actually able to squeeze into the ML as well (a testament to the amount of stretch in the neoprene), although it was very restrictive. If I were at least 20 lbs lighter with low risk of weight gain, it would probably be perfect.

I have been a fan of Bare Wetsuits since 2010, and own both 3 and 5 mm Reactives and Elasteks. I'm 5'9'', 188#, and the XL short is a perfect for me. After trying on many wetsuits I chose Bare because it was the only brand that I found gave me a great fit right off the rack. Admittedly, I was not able to try on every wetsuit on the market, including the Waterproof line. The Reactives definitely feel warmer than my older Elasteks, but that assessment is based on an old man's 13 year old memory of what my older suits were like when new. However, I find I can use my 3mm Reactive in the same water temperature that I needed a 5mm Elastek. All of my wetsuits have held up extremely well, but I do take very good care of them, and have been impressed with the quality from day one. Good luck with your search.

... The Large W7 (7mm) fit like a glove ... The XL was obviously too big ...
Sounds right to me. I was in err when I stated that my 7 mm Waterproof W7 wetsuit is extra large size, it is instead large size as is yours. It is my 1 mm Neoskin and 2/5 mm U1 hooded vest that are extra large size. I understand the hooded vest being extra large size as I wear it over the wetsuit. I can't explain why I need an extra large size Neoskin is as I wear it under the wetsuit, but that's the size that fits me well.

Despite my mixup on wetsuit size I still feel Waterproof's sizing runs small.

I'm 6'1" and have porked up to over 260.

I have a Waterproof W7 5mm that is my everyday suit these days. It is a Large Plus. It has to stretch a fair bit to get around my torso, but it does it and is comfortable. I've been diving it for about a year and a half and have 138 dives on it. The only thing that has "broken" are the little straps near the wrists that you're meant to put your dive computer wrist strap through. Both of mine have recently broken off. Otherwise, the suit is still more or less like new. The Kevlar knee pads have been particularly impressive, as I have definitely been on my knees on some rocks crawling out of some dives, and they don't show any signs of that. I have dived it in water as cold as 59F. I was cold at 59F. At 62F, for a short shallow dive, with a hood, I was adequately warm. At 62F for a 51 minute dive at 127', with a hood and 3mm gloves, I was cold by the end, but not freezing. In other words, I think it's a good, decently warm suit. Also, I'm towards the polar bear end of the spectrum for cold tolerance.

I have a Bare Reactive 3mm and had a 5mm. Both size XL. I sold the Reactive 5mm when I got the W7. I think the Reactive suits are a little bit warmer, but the Waterproof has thigh pockets, which are awesome. For ME, having the sweet thigh pockets trumps having the suit be a little warmer. If it's too cold for the W7, I'll wear a drysuit.

My Bare suits are 3 or 4 years old. The latest version is claimed to be 30% warmer than the version I have. I don't know about that, but I do expect it would be a clear winner in warmth over the W7. The W7 is warm - just not as warm as the Reactive, in my somewhat subjective opinion.

A point about Waterproof wetsuits. The W7 is a totally different neoprene than their older suits, like the W4. The older neoprene is much more stiff and less stretchy. I think that is one reason why they have (or had?) so many different sizes in their size chart. The good thing about those older suits, though, is if it fit you right, then it was even better than the new suits because the neoprene did not compress as much as depth, so they stayed warmer when you're down deep. The newer neoprene is more stretchy and maybe more comfortable. Certainly more comfortable if you're on the cusp between two sizes. But, I think the new suits are not AS warm at, say, 100' or deeper, because they compress more. Maybe they make up for it by sealing better at the openings. I don't know. I never dived one of the old suits. All I'm REALLY trying to say here is, don't judge the W7 based on any of the older WP suits that were made of the older neoprene.

Last point of note, for the really cold-intolerant: Waterproof has just come out with a semi-dry version of the W7, they are calling the SD (or SD Neoflex).

They are not available in the U.S. yet. My GUESS is they will start showing up here in the Nov-Dec timeframe, but I really don't know. That guess is based on when the W7 showed up on the Euro website and then how long it took to be available here.

I only know what I've seen on their website, but it looks like the SD is simply the W7 7mm, but with the back zipper changed to a cross-the-back plastic drysuit zipper, and with the neoprene neck seal built-in, instead of an add-on option. The W7 already has drysuit seals at the wrists and ankles - and they work.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom