Wax

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

SkipperJohn

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
What kind of wax do you guys use?
I have tried all sorts of waxes and found Garry's Royal Satin to be the best. It is by far the easiest to apply and take off. It produces the best shine. I guess it could last longer, but every time I venture to something else I regret it. But I'm always open to new ideas.
I get the Garry's by the gallon for around $35
GRYG105_F.jpg

I never found any non-marine wax to hold up to the salt environment. Especially where fishing is involved and diesel.
A gallon lasts me about 2 years. I put on 3 to 5 coats just before launch (sometimes 6 on the transom). I use 3 different machines, one for compound (standard rotary grinder), one for wax on (random orbital) & one for wax off (rotary orbital).

I was thinking the same thing, a gallon of wax would last an awful long time. Something with PTEF in it works good. N

I have really been struggling with the dark green gelcoat on the sides of the boat. We have buffed it four times in two years and wax it regularly. The finish we are using now contains PTEF, and I want to say it is a Starbrite product, but am not sure. We are lucky if it goes 30 days before the oxidation starts to become noticable again.

We poured a slab just for the boat, and will be building a carport to completely cover it in the hopes that it will help. The current full cover only secures below the rubrail.

There has been a lot of talk on the boating boards about Rejex. I am picking some up today and we are going to give it a try.

Wax? I just paint it over with "Safety Red" Rustoleum.

You want a wax that will last I have had excellent luck w/ Collinite's Fleetwax.

fleetwax.jpg

If you want to really go nuts you can finish it off with their Insulator wax which is not quite as durable as the Fleetwax but leaves an awesome shine.

COLLINITE_INSULATOR_WAX.JPG

I was turned on to these waxes years ago by a yacht maintenance company owner and haven't used any other waxes since. Good stuff.

I have tried the liquid Fleetwax 870 and wasn't too impressed. I do like the paste 885 though, probably one of the better I have used, but hard to apply and I am not sure if it has any UV protection.

We applied the Rejex to the dark green hull sides about thirty days ago, and this is by far the best product we have used on the boat. I'll give it a couple more months and report back. We plan on re-coating every thirty days or so, just like we did with the other products we have tried.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom