ways to carry a pony bottle

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

RYCO

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
what are the different ways. ive only seen them hang down from in front of you but i heard that they can be in back too. whats the ways they can be attached?

There are as many ways as you can imagine. On the front clipped to d-rings (stage bottle style), clipped to your back plate, attached to your tank (pony tamer style, though there are several different makers of stuff for this), in a bag attached to your harness somewhere, on your belt, etc.

Depends of the size of the pony and how you plan to used (hand it off to a buddy? use it your self only), and how often you change tanks. I do the stage style i can hand it off easily and change tanks without worrying about it. Others do it differently.

search -- there are many discussions about pony bottles here...

-brian

As this is in the solo forum I would suggest you would want to sling it. That way if it starts to leak you have a chance to see it. Behind you attached to your tank - not so much.

As this is in the solo forum I would suggest you would want to sling it. That way if it starts to leak you have a chance to see it. Behind you attached to your tank - not so much.

true. and im thinking a 13 or 19. i have a spare air on the back (3cft) but i know theyre not much.

true. and im thinking a 13 or 19. i have a spare air on the back (3cft) but i know theyre not much.

so you want to run a primary + pony + spareair?

so you want to run a primary + pony + spareair?

maybe...... im thinking of getting rid of the spare air and would like to have another source for when i dont have a buddy. just looking at the options thats all

no point in carrying 3.

if you're solo, sling a bailout, and ditch the spare-air.

One of the things I like about solo diving is I can do it however I want; no rules. I am wondering how often a first stage o-ring or neck o-ring gives out on your back mounted pony in such a way that it would really make a difference? If it was a blow out behind your ear wouldn't you hear it and unless you had breathed your main tank down to less than ascent pressure when it happened the result would be the same; ascent.

When I use my pony it is back mounted with the pony SPG running down the right side of the in/deflator and the pony second stage is in my left pocket. The second is either a left breather or a swivel breather.

For this dive the attachment is nylon rope at the valves and fairly long bungy below the main tank plate. I carried it around dry by the pony a little to be sure it was secure. A slung pony is not how I want to go on a solo scooter dive, especially when there is 75 yards of 2-4' deep reef with small kine surf at the entry; and I am not afraid of leaks.

Last edited:
I must have missed the joke? that setup looks pretty scary to me. but hey, your life. (I saved the pic for my students, nylon rope? epic)

biggest problem with back mounted pony/bailout bottles is that in the event of an entanglement, you'll have to take off your gear to repair it. something we're all trained to do, but why bother when you can just sling a bottle (just as streamlined, or more-so )

I must have missed the joke? that setup looks pretty scary to me. but hey, your life. (I saved the pic for my students, nylon rope? epic)

Perhaps you missed the OP? :coffee:

what are the different ways. ive only seen them hang down from in front of you but i heard that they can be in back too. whats the ways they can be attached?

The first response seems to fit with mine. :eyebrow:

There are as many ways as you can imagine.

Others do it differently.

If I had been "solo" for dinner tonight my first post would have been a little more complete; my date reached over my shoulder and hit "post" when I went 30 seconds past departure time for our reservation. :shakehead: The final edit is finally done.

The entry for this dive is 2-4' deep for 75 yards through 20 guys long board / paddle board surfing in 2-3' surf and I am holding fins, a camera and a scooter. I am headed 3/4 mile off shore in pretty severe long shore current so I am saving the scooter until after the surf. (Puamana Beach Park)

Max depth 117', over 60 minute total dive time, exit in a boulder rubble field with same 1-3' surf, steep climb to road, and then walk wearing rig 1/4 mile down the highway shoulder back to the parking lot carrying the scooter on my shoulder(s). The pics of rig are taken after showering off and it is still secure. This is Maui; there are no entanglements! :idk:

Last edited:
https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom