Ways to cope when diving is not an option

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
Hello there virtual dive buddies,

I’m a Rescue diver who just found happiness in the deep blue, diving has changed my life to the better, i’ve quit many bad habits including smoking to pursue my passion, i got my certifications from my home country (Kuwait) and i was trained well, i’ve recently moved to the UK to start University and i haven’t dove in awhile, i need to get my Uni stuff together before diving here.

So, enlighten me and those who feel the same with your best ways to cope being out of water for long, also if anyone is from the UK and has good recommendations (dive spots etc) please let me know, i’m in East Sussex, Brighton.

Personally, I enjoy reading about the theory of diving...researching the gear [especially different dive computer algorithms], history of diving, read over my training manuals and visualize the drills [s-drills, gas exchange, diver tows, etc]. I also do gear maintenance [treat rubber parts with 100% silicone, clean BCD, etc].

BTW, welcome!!

you would be better off treating your rubber parts with vaseline

and stay out of the pubs Sam

Find dive shops you like, find a club, go to meetings & meet some other divers. There are some classes you can take that don't require dives - nitrox, science of diving type stuff - but see if you can find a "diving home" in your new location.

It's all a poor second best, but if you find some folks that you can get to know (and like), you'll pick up a ton of knowledge just hanging around people "talking scuba." You'll also probably find out about a lot diving opportunities you'd otherwise miss.

Take a bath.

Winter is rough here (water not much above freezing and I dive wet only). If we don't head South for a month or 3, I dive one dive a day once every 2 weeks. I make it work. If you can't, there is always ScubaBoard, and my recommendation of reviewing all your dive course materials, mimicking skills while dry.

Read about diving and diving history, you'll find tons of books about it. Watch videos : the old classics by Cousteau and Hans Hass, nowadays documentaries... That's how I've been coping while away from the water, since getting certified in 1990.

Welcome to ScubaBoard, Sam! I visit my dive shop, and think and dream about future dives!

Back
Top Bottom