• Welcome to ScubaBoard

1. Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
    • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
    • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Login or Register now by clicking on the button

Ways to cope when diving is not an option

Discussion in 'Introductions and Greets' started by Sam Khaled, Oct 3, 2019.

1. Sam Khaled

Sam Khaled Garibaldi

# of Dives: 0 - 24
    Hello there virtual dive buddies,

I’m a Rescue diver who just found happiness in the deep blue, diving has changed my life to the better, i’ve quit many bad habits including smoking to pursue my passion, i got my certifications from my home country (Kuwait) and i was trained well, i’ve recently moved to the UK to start University and i haven’t dove in awhile, i need to get my Uni stuff together before diving here.

So, enlighten me and those who feel the same with your best ways to cope being out of water for long, also if anyone is from the UK and has good recommendations (dive spots etc) please let me know, i’m in East Sussex, Brighton.

2. Andrew Dawson

Andrew Dawson Barracuda

# of Dives: 500 - 999
    Personally, I enjoy reading about the theory of diving...researching the gear [especially different dive computer algorithms], history of diving, read over my training manuals and visualize the drills [s-drills, gas exchange, diver tows, etc]. I also do gear maintenance [treat rubber parts with 100% silicone, clean BCD, etc].

BTW, welcome!!

Sam Khaled and JMBL like this.
  3. happy-diver

happy-diver Skindiver Just feelin it ScubaBoard Sponsor

# of Dives: 2,500 - 4,999
    you would be better off treating your rubber parts with vaseline

and stay out of the pubs Sam

Sam Khaled, Johnoly and flymolo like this.
  4. jgttrey

jgttrey ScubaBoard Supporter ScubaBoard Supporter

# of Dives: 200 - 499
    Find dive shops you like, find a club, go to meetings & meet some other divers. There are some classes you can take that don't require dives - nitrox, science of diving type stuff - but see if you can find a "diving home" in your new location.

It's all a poor second best, but if you find some folks that you can get to know (and like), you'll pick up a ton of knowledge just hanging around people "talking scuba." You'll also probably find out about a lot diving opportunities you'd otherwise miss.

Sam Khaled likes this.
  5. flyboy08

flyboy08 ScubaBoard Supporter ScubaBoard Supporter

Take a bath.

Sam Khaled likes this.
  6. Andrew Dawson

Andrew Dawson Barracuda

Funny! I actually bathe my 4 and 6yr old every night...and sometimes let them use an AL19 with two 2nd stages on it to practice "Scuba diving" :)

Sam Khaled and flyboy08 like this.
  7. TMHeimer

TMHeimer Divemaster

Winter is rough here (water not much above freezing and I dive wet only). If we don't head South for a month or 3, I dive one dive a day once every 2 weeks. I make it work. If you can't, there is always ScubaBoard, and my recommendation of reviewing all your dive course materials, mimicking skills while dry.

Sam Khaled and Andrew Dawson like this.
  8. JMBL

JMBL Solo Diver

Read about diving and diving history, you'll find tons of books about it. Watch videos : the old classics by Cousteau and Hans Hass, nowadays documentaries... That's how I've been coping while away from the water, since getting certified in 1990.

9. Marie13

Marie13 Great Lakes Mermaid ScubaBoard Supporter

# of Dives: 200 - 499
    Join a local diving club and do some pool dives?

Sam Khaled and Andrew Dawson like this.
  10. Tripp09

Tripp09 Aquanaut Naturalist ScubaBoard Supporter

# of Dives: I'm a Fish!
    Welcome to ScubaBoard, Sam! I visit my dive shop, and think and dream about future dives!

Sam Khaled likes this.