We did it! 25 logged dives in our first year!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

DukeAMO

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
I've updated my stats - 25 dives in the log book! That was my goal for this year. My husband got a few more dives in than me, because he already took the Rescue class, and I passed on it for now.

We had some divemaster candidates who really wanted to get their tour requirements checked off before the end of the year, so about a dozen people got together for a night dive at Fantasy Lake, and split into two groups. Mr. Sparkle and thebigdiver from scubaboard were there, among others. There was a wide range of experience in the group, from fairly new divers and those on their first night dive, to tech divers and several instructors. Here's my dive log.

Dive 24, November 8, 2012, 6:48 PM
Night Dive, Visibility 3-8 feet
Air temp: 50 degrees F; Surface temp: 65 degrees; Temp at 29 feet: 63 degrees
Max depth: 29 feet, Time: 20 minutes, swimming safety stop
Nitrox 30%, starting PSI 2400 after a free-flow, ending PSI 1500
This was one of the more challenging dives I've been on, because of the cold and dark and low vis. This was a DMC candidate's tour dive, so we had the DMC candidate leading, an instructor to evaluate him and another diver in the middle, myself and my hubby next, and then another instructor in the back as backup. I had my new semi-dry suit on, and swam out to the entry point 4lbs underweighted. (I assumed the weight I used for a 5mm two-piece suit last time would be enough, but it wasn't.) I couldn't sink, so a couple of guys helped me add an extra 4lbs in the water. I had a free flow at the same time and lost about 600 PSI of my air. Rocky start. Once under, we really had to work to stay close enough to see each other without getting kicked. Basically I had to stay 1-3 feet behind the next diver's fins or risk losing the group. We saw a few fish on the bottom and around the bus, but nothing terribly exciting. We also had a diver from another group accidentally join our group when the groups crossed, hehe. I will say, my hubby's buddy skills are getting pretty good, especially helping me with my gear out of the water. :wink:

C-c-cold surface interval and dive debrief. One of the instructors let me borrow his boat coat, which was very helpful.

Dive 25, November 8, 2012, 8:00 PM
Night Dive, Visibility 3-12 feet
Air temp: 40 degrees F; Surface temp: 65 degrees; Temp at 28 feet: 61 degrees
Max depth: 28 feet, Time: 29 minutes, swimming safety stop
Air, starting PSI 3000, ending PSI something over 1500
I did this dive with a different buddy because my husband was shivering too much to get back in the water, and I really really wanted to get dive #25 in (thanks Joe!). The water was actually warmer than the air at this point, so we were able to stay warm as long as we were underwater. We dropped down right from the shore this time, and my weighting was fine with the extra 4lbs still in my pockets. We swam past the airplane (Joe wrote "SILT" on the wing in 1/2" of the stuff), past the school bus, down the road a bit, and back. The visibility was better along the road, probably because there had not been a lot of students there stirring up the silt. A two-foot-long bass kept swimming in Joe's light, probably hunting smaller fish in it, until Joe actually touched its tail and scared it off. I saw some interesting hollow round balls of green algae (golf ball sized). It was much easier to stay with one buddy instead of trying to keep an entire group together. As a result, this dive was much easier, I was able to relax more, and my bouyancy & trim were significantly better.

These dives were definitely "character building", but we still had fun. We had a beer afterward to celebrate the DMCs getting their tours in, my 25th dive, and finding a dozen of us who were crazy enough to do a night dive in those conditions.

congrats on reaching the 25 dive milestone! :cheers: Keep on diving and having fun :D

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm impressed! Especially given the less than ideal conditions as to viz and air temperature. Stay active- active divers are safe divers. BTW, I have a brother (non-diver) who lives in Cary. I understand it is a great place to live.
DivemasterDennis

Way to go, especially in challenging conditions. I think that's about what I did my first year. I'm sure you will do quite a bit more per year if you continue with local diving. Too bad about those darn air temps. this time of year. If it weren't for that, those bottom temps. would tempt me to use the shorty. Our water is still about 53F, but air temps. here in Nov. limit me to one dive in a day. Just too cold to warm up in between dives.

Congratulations!

When you are diving in a silty area, sometimes it's better to try to swim shoulder-to-shoulder than one behind the other. The person behind has the worst viz, and the person in front has no idea if they are still there or not. Just a thought . . .

I'm impressed! Especially given the less than ideal conditions as to viz and air temperature. Stay active- active divers are safe divers. BTW, I have a brother (non-diver) who lives in Cary. I understand it is a great place to live.
DivemasterDennis

Yes, we like Cary. Not much touristy stuff, but it's a comfy place to raise a family. It's an area that's growing very quickly, due to the nice weather and good job market. It's our third time living in the Triangle area -- we keep coming back!

Also, we can be on the coast in 2 1/2 hours. :) We'd head out there more often, except that it's a production to bring the kids along, and we want to have Grandma take them to the beach if we're going to be away from home all day.

Congratulations!

When you are diving in a silty area, sometimes it's better to try to swim shoulder-to-shoulder than one behind the other. The person behind has the worst viz, and the person in front has no idea if they are still there or not. Just a thought . . .

Does that work with a group too?

We definitely swim side by side within buddy teams. I like DH just over my shoulder, where I can check on him and set a nice slow pace. It's actually a little easier with lights, because you can just check for your buddy's light beam and not turn your head!

Good work. For what it's worth we finished up our University student ocean dives today. Of interest to you would be that the Indra had forty plus feet of visibility for the last four days and water temperatures of about 64F on the bottom. Loads of fish including a couple of sand tigers to entertain the student populace....
Mike

Good work. For what it's worth we finished up our University student ocean dives today. Of interest to you would be that the Indra had forty plus feet of visibility for the last four days and water temperatures of about 64F on the bottom. Loads of fish including a couple of sand tigers to entertain the student populace....
Mike

Sooooo jealous of the vis and the sand tigers... I bet the students thought the ocean was easy-peasey after learning in the quarry!

Congratulations!

Setting a goal to dive with some intensity is so so important especially that first year. Otherwise those freshly learned skills never even begin to be habits and you can lack that body of wow factor experiences to bring you back the next year.

Have you folks set an 2013 goals?

Pete

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom