• Welcome to ScubaBoard

1. Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
    • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
    • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Login or Register now by clicking on the button

We did our first cenote dives and we're HOOKED

Discussion in 'Mexico' started by naick, Jan 26, 2019.

1. Rob9876

Rob9876 Barracuda

I haven't been there -- are you saying it is different because there aren't many bats, or that their guano doesn't get into the water you are diving in?

2. Norwegian Cave Diver

Norwegian Cave Diver Barracuda

# of Dives: 200 - 499
    Welcome to the other side! It only gets better! :)

Ontwreckdiver and naick like this.
  3. naick

naick Solo Diver

Hah nice! We have some great wreck diving here in Belgium. I've even been diving an intact U-boat that sits in 40m. Getting tech certified is a great way to lear' more about diving and advance your skills!

4. JohnnyC

JohnnyC PADI Pro

# of Dives: I'm a Fish!
    The number of bats is quite small, and you’re not in contact with guano in any significant amount. You’re not inhaling it like you would when dry caving, trudging and crawling through it.

Yes, there’s bat crap settled on the bottom on a small portion of the dive. I would not suggest eating it. If there is ANY exposure, it is incredibly minimal. The danger driving to the cenote far eclipses the possibility of any bat-borne disease.

I would imagine your friends issue was more related to his roof endeavors. I’m certainly willing to admit I could be wrong, but i’ve never heard, even anecdotally, of someone in Mexico having any issues.

5. kafkaland

kafkaland Manta Ray

Welcome to the dark side - we have cookies! The cavern tours is like getting into drugs: thee first hit is free! In this case, you can do it with your OW cert and gear for the price of a boat dive. And then you're hooked and come back for more. You'll spend a lot of money on cave training and gear. And your mind will revolve around getting the next hit, i.e., another trip to MX... Trust me, I went down that road. And still haven't regretted it!

6. naick

naick Solo Diver

Haha, I love cookies! But I prefer the edible kind.

Most of my gear is pretty cave compliant as I dive a DIR(ish) set-up. I'll have to get bigger doubles though. And a reel. I looked into cave training, but it looks like that is going to cost me and arm and a leg haha.

I'm already trying to figure out when I can return to MX to do the training. Hi I'm Naick and I'm addicted go deep dark and wet holes!

7. naick

naick Solo Diver

I might be returning back to Tulum in a while. Does anyone have any good recommendations for other cenotes to dive or any good operators down there?

8. bamafan

bamafan Manta Ray

Natalie at Under the Jungle, Protec in Tulum or Playa are all excellent.

Norwegian Cave Diver likes this.
  9. Norwegian Cave Diver

Norwegian Cave Diver Barracuda

If your diving XDeep then Protec Tulum or Playa are the premium choice. Patrick from Protec is one of the owners and is the designer of that gear. Doesn't get better.

10. Ontwreckdiver

Ontwreckdiver Solo Diver

# of Dives: 500 - 999