We dove the Sheridan yesterday

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Boldido

Registered
Reaction score
We went out to the Sheridan yesterday. It was a rough ride out, but things calmed down around 4:00p.m. There is a lot of whale snot in the water but viz was about 60-70 ft. The ship is listing to starboard and is covered in algae blooms. We didn't see much of anything on the first dive, but that changed on the second dive.

On the way down the anchor line we saw a 6-7 ft. shark. It swam around for a little bit and then disappeared. We are still trying to make our best guess as to identification and are leaning toward a spinner shark but are still checking the books.

There were a lot of jewfish on the wreck itself. Some swimming on the inside other hanging close to the wreck and some off to the side inside schools of baitfish. There were also lots of good size barracuda hanging around.

There was only one fishing boat when we were there and they managed to get their anchor stuck but good. After trying for about 1/2 hour they asked us if we were going back down. We were at the end of our surface interval so we told them we would take a look. Ed was down first and freed them up. Hopefully a good deed will create a new group of fishermen with an increased respect for divers.

All in all, it was a great trip.

Sounds like you had a great trip! That's good viz but the gumbo is only going to get worse. We saw a fair amount of it a couple of weeks ago on the RJ Thompson.

Nice to see divers and fishermen getting along. We've all got to share the water. May as well make it pleasant.

Great report. sounds like everyone had a good time. I was supposed to take the boat out there the same day but I chicken'd out due to the weather (did rainbow river instead). A sunset/night dive on the Sheridan would be cool. I was looking to try night diving.

We are planning on heading back next weekend for a night dive. I"ve only done one night dive so far, but I would imagine that the Sheridan would be great for night diving. Its just the right size that you don't really have to worry about people getting lost but big enough to spread out.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom