We Need Galapagos Opinions

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

In theory, the new dive permits will be issued in early September and though they will probably get pushed back again, when they are issued, live-aboards with permits will not be allowed to make any land visits. I can't imagine going to the Galapagos without being on land.

Props to you for the great post RoatanMan.

what is the best livaboard company, to dive Galapagos ?
deep blue ?
or peter hughes ?

someone told me deep blue is the same level as peter hughes

I know already dancer fleet

thanks
Stephane

That is a very difficult question and you will hear all sorts of answers,.... I worked onboard the Sky Dancer in 2002 and it was a well run operation with excellent service, some of my friends still work in that boat and apparently the service is still high quality. Basically they follow the standards of the whole fleet and they get quality control reviews every now and then to keep the service as expected.

I also know people that works in the Deep Blue, and I got similar comments that the operation is well run and the service is good, most of the time boats "steal" crewmenbers (the good ones of course) from other well known boats, so their operations can run as well as the competition and usually the service is of the same quality.

There might be some minor details between each operation....like the food in the menu (it is not different in terms of quality, just different in what they serve you). Once they know of a little minor detail that the competition is doing they sometimes try to copy it....like the snacks after every dive.

Most of the time you get the same divemasters working for some time in one boat and them moving to another boat after a few years....the same goes on with the crewmembers and in this bussiness the ones that make things "high qualiy" or excellent are the crewmembers (its service industry after all).

If you check the forum you will read different opinions.....all I can tell you from the guides perpective (well ex-divemaster) is that if you it the right week and see lots of sharks (I mean the biggest shark on earth) you will feel like at the best week of your life and will forget any minor inconvinience.......please LOCK YOUR BAG before you send it as checked-in.......specially at Quito or Guayaquil.

I NEVER GOT BORED although I did it for years...and still miss a lot the diving there.

Good luck..

Well, it's not Wolf or Darwin, but I'm posting this from the Galapagos and in 2 dives at Mosqueras (of all places) saw more than 100 hammerheads. Yesterday, lost count at a group of 35 that I got to see from beside and underneath....passed 3 times. Mantas at N. Seymour today. When we surfaced on Saturday at N. Seymour, there were so many fins in the water, I went back in for a snorkel. Unusual, but right now, Mosqueras is the spot and none are being sighted at Gordon Rocks. I did see a young whale shark at Gordon Rocks last month. Never done Wolf/Darwin. Can't wait to do it. Want to know about Deep Blue, so please come back with a Trip Report LRobbins!

Just a note on the posting above.
Definitely lock your bags if they contain a regulator or dive computers. I would strongly suggest that you take them in your carry on. There have been a rash of disappearances of regulators - normally on flights from Baltra, Galapagos to Guayaquil or Quito. I am not so sure they are going missing on the mainland...
Be careful in Quito airport as well. I lost my backpack last month and it was right next to my leg at check in. I am a seasoned traveller as well.
Really as RoatanMan says dont miss out on the land based diving if you can. Seymour and Mosquera have been great this year. Gordon Rocks is good and Floreana has terrific diversity.
All the liveaboards right now are decent. The key in Galapagos is what you see...The crew on a boat can also make all the difference. It will be interesting to see how many new boats surface in 2010...and how significant the price increases are.
Looks like it is an El Nino year in Galapagos. Water is still warm (75-80) and it is raining quite a bit. The hammerhead sightings at Darwin and Wolf are down in numbers but are still ongoing. Whale shark sightings have been fair the last few weeks.

I know that the boats are not full due to the economy this year. There may be some great deals to be had on the 6 boats with permits for the next few months: Aggressors, Sky Dancer, Deep Blue, Alta, Estrella del Mar.
And FYI the currents the last 2 weeks have been ripping up North at Darwin and Wolf...

Pikeblenny, you are right. The poshest yacht begins at $2800 right now which is about $700 pp less than anyone else and $1300 less than they were. Availability in Sept and Oct...height of the season at Wolf/Darwin. More on my blog..url below.

Last edited:
Thanks again to Roatanman for a well-informed and well-balanced posting. I just got back from 1 week land-based diving out of Puerto Ayora. The liveaboards and land-based diving boats are only allowed to dive (no landings) and the cruise ships have specific permits for specific islands on specific days. However, the main island Santa Cruz has such a lot of great stuff to see (giant tortoises in their natural environment [not the Charles Darwin centre], blue footed boobies, blue herons, tonnes of iguanas). I would seriously recommend spending at least a day, and walking to Turtle Bay (beautiful beach with lots of wildlife).
As for the diving, the current is very strong (especially at Gordon Rocks), the visibility poor and it is tough getting into a boat in 6ft swell. But in terms of the amount of wildlife we saw from just land-based trips (pretty much everything except the whale shark), it more than justified the trip to Galapagos (and was much cheaper than a liveaboard). We went with ScubaIguana, who were very professional and friendly. But from what I understand, when the conditions are better (warmer, less current, better visibility), there's much less wildlife.
Enjoy your trip whatever you decide!

Back
Top Bottom