We want your dive profiles!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Duke Dive Medicine

ScubaBoard Supporter
Staff member
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
Divers,

We are developing new training material for our Undersea and Hyperbaric Medicine fellowship and would like to start a database of diving computer depth/time profiles. We plan to run the profiles through probabilistic modeling software to determine the relative risk of decompression illness for each individual profile. If the dive resulted in some form of decompression illness, we'd like to know that as well, and if you're willing, we'll ask you for some more information about your treatment and outcome.

If you'd like to participate, please attach your dive profile(s) to an email and send them to hexda001@mc.duke.edu. It would be very helpful if you could provide the following demographic information with your profile(s):

1. Age, sex, height, and weight.
2. Major medical issues, e.g. diabetes, heart disease, or other illness requiring intervention and/or monitoring by a physician.
3. Type of decompression computer used.
4. Any decompression illness that resulted from the dive.

We may contact you for further information. Thanks very much in advance!

Duke Dive Medicine

In what ways does this differ from DAN's Project Dive Exploration database? Don't mean to sound negative but on the surface, there seems to be a lot similarities between the two efforts.

In what ways does this differ from DAN's Project Dive Exploration database? Don't mean to sound negative but on the surface, there seems to be a lot similarities between the two efforts.

Bleeb, thanks for asking. We're not duplicating PDE, this is for our own internal training use.

Can you take any kind of mass download from a computer database? I have three years of Liquivision files, but honestly, I'm not up for selecting and attaching too many of them to e-mails.

What do you mean by "attach profiles"? What file formats?

Screenshots of a profile? Text/tables of a profile? Suunto dive manager or other format?

Can you take any kind of mass download from a computer database? I have three years of Liquivision files, but honestly, I'm not up for selecting and attaching too many of them to e-mails.

Hi Lynne,
I should be able to take it unless it's so big that it puts me over my personal limit on email storage. Other limiting factors would be how big an email attachment you can make and how long it would take to upload from your end.
Thanks!

What do you mean by "attach profiles"? What file formats?

Screenshots of a profile? Text/tables of a profile? Suunto dive manager or other format?

String,
Nothing in graphic form, just the raw data. Any format is acceptable.
Thanks!

We have been collecting and submitting Project Dive Exploration reports for the past several years. It seems that with the exception of the brand/model of the computer used, the rest of this information is included in those reports and on file at DAN.

Can you not just dip into that pool of data? Seems much easier than sorting through all these incoming emails.

Am I missing something here?

We have been collecting and submitting Project Dive Exploration reports for the past several years. It seems that with the exception of the brand/model of the computer used, the rest of this information is included in those reports and on file at DAN.

Can you not just dip into that pool of data? Seems much easier than sorting through all these incoming emails.

Am I missing something here?

Hi IVS, no, you're not missing anything, this is a separate project that Dr. Vann wants to develop, again for training purposes for our fellows. I've posted this thread at his request.
Thanks,
DDM

OK thanks for the clarification, I think.

Back
Top Bottom