Wear those seatbelts.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Ryan - if Texas is a no-fault state (I think it is) then your insurance should help you out.

BTW - reading this thread, it is interesting to see the difference in attitudes towards seat belts than in this thread: http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/non-diving-related-stuff/363499-boat-seat-belts.html where a couple of folks are very anti-belt.
Yeah, when someone survives a wreck like this because of seatbelts, no one posts how they never wear them because they're too confining.

If Ryan has Collision, Comp, Personal Injury coverage on his car, then his car insurance company pays bills after deductibles then goes after the other party. If not, then he is out the losses until he goes after them. Same with regard to his Medical coverage.

The offending vehicle has to have minimum Liability coverage to obtain annual license tags and inspection; I do not know the recourse if the insurance cancels at some point but they have been getting tougher. That the driver was unlicensed as well as drunk makes it complicated; was he authorized to be driving it? In the family?

I don't carry anything on my old pickup other than Liability, but I carry much more than minimums. Not something I like known around here tho; don't want to be a setup for a wreck scam. It covers my liabilities for any vehicle I drive, friend, family, rental in the US, including the vehicle I'm driving if not mine.

Ryan you can get some info and help at Texas Department of Insurance Consumer Help, Industry News from the Texas Department of Insurance phone numbers at bottom, but at least you are alive and healthy to go after the bad guys. :thumb:

WTH? that bites

Are you talking about the guy that hit you is unlicensed and has no insurance? ... who's car was he driving? ... if not his own car , then the cars owner's insurance might be liable

Yeah he was driving his neighbors vehicle. And just happened to not have a license.

Ryan - if Texas is a no-fault state (I think it is) then your insurance should help you out.

BTW - reading this thread, it is interesting to see the difference in attitudes towards seat belts than in this thread: http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/non-diving-related-stuff/363499-boat-seat-belts.html where a couple of folks are very anti-belt.

My insurance is going to take care of the collision minus the 500 bucks deductible. I however did not have medical on my policy .

Yeah he was driving his neighbors vehicle. And just happened to not have a license.

My insurance is going to take care of the collision minus the 500 bucks deductible. I however did not have medical on my policy .

Ummm, unless the neighbor reported it stolen, there was consent to drive the vehicle. The neighbor and his insurance company are liable. Don't give in. I have played this exact game before. I was hit by a woman driving a friend's car.... They paid up.
They didn't like it, but by law, they had to.

I think you do have a strong case against the car's Liability insurance, unless he stole the car maybe? Maybe ask their insurance claims agent if he wants to be reasonable, or pay more after you get a lawyer - which you don't want to do, but will if you have to? Good luck...!!

Ummm, unless the neighbor reported it stolen, there was consent to drive the vehicle. The neighbor and his insurance company are liable. Don't give in. I have played this exact game before. I was hit by a woman driving a friend's car.... They paid up.
They didn't like it, but by law, they had to.
Yep not stolen and I brought that up, her response was well you don't know its not stolen. Me "Um yeah I do, I am a cop".

I think you do have a strong case against the car's Liability insurance, unless he stole the car maybe? Maybe ask their insurance claims agent if he wants to be reasonable, or pay more after you get a lawyer - which you don't want to do, but will if you have to? Good luck...!!

Well I already contacted a lawyer that is a friend of a friend. Think he is gonna help me out. I am normally totally against law suits, but the way they talked to me on the phone after a drunken idiot could have killed me, it just pissed me off more than I have ever been in my life. What ever I can take from them, I am going to.

I am amazed that they passed on the chance to be decent. Go for losses, all expenses, duress, pain, suffering, whatever. Texas likes big settlements again unfair companies. It may drag on and on but go for it..!!

:mad:
Have your lawyer contact that insurance company and explicitly explain to them just what they ARE going to cover for you
.. I bet their tone changes, especially after they find no stolen car report
(oh, and do you have that insurance persons name that you talked to?.. would be worth letting the company know that the poor way she handled it is why it's now going to probibly cost them more )

Last edited:
Yep not stolen and I brought that up, her response was well you don't know its not stolen. Me "Um yeah I do, I am a cop".

Well I already contacted a lawyer that is a friend of a friend. Think he is gonna help me out. I am normally totally against law suits, but the way they talked to me on the phone after a drunken idiot could have killed me, it just pissed me off more than I have ever been in my life. What ever I can take from them, I am going to.

Sounds like a good news story too. "Cop injured by drunk driver, abused by reluctant insurance company." That would be great publicity..... :D

...you're still gonna get hosed by the insurance, they will reimburse you the used vehicle (today's) price, not the new vehicle replacement price.

Back
Top Bottom