Wearing your BP/W on Airplane

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I liked the backpack conversion idea, but I have been reluctant to try it out of concern that some overzealous security agent will consider a steel plate to be usable as a weapon. They generally prohibit heavy objects that can be swung at someone. So far, I have seen no reports of anyone being denied carrying on a steel back plate, but you never know. Freedom Plate looks less threatening. Aluminum might have an easier time getting a pass, too.

I mentioned the same concern here on SB a while back and was re-assured that they won't stop you from bringing a SS backplate on board. Well, at least not if it's in a suitcase. So far I have only used my backpack conversion along with my weighted plastic tank-backpack. So far nobody said anything about the lead shot-filled plastic backpack.

HA!!! theres a way to get your moto gear to a long motorcycle trip start point! Insane and ingenius!

I tried getting through the security check with my carry on in one hand and motorcycle helmet in the other, was told I wasn't allowed to bring two carry ons.
Put the helmet on and said it's not a carry on it's part of my outfit.
He looked a bit pissed but had no other choice but tell me to send it through the x-ray along with my bag and go on through.
If you can wear it, you can travel with it :cool:
At least never been a problem for me in Europe.

Years ago I worked for a tech diving company and we were traveling to an event with checked luggage bursting with tech gear. At check-in, we were 7-8 pounds overweight and they would not let it slide. I had to pull out a tech harness with SS plate and wear it to board the plane. This was a rep sample so it was decked out with techiness.
I thought people would freak out but not one person on the plane gave me a second look as I boarded dressed like some sci-fi warrior.

That was some time before 9/11. I'm not sure how it would go nowadays.

All you guys have to do is just tell them it’s a specially designed back support brace. If they think it’s a medical device they won’t hassle you.
Take the rail off and put it in your carry-on or checked bag.

All you guys have to do is just tell them it’s a specially designed back support brace. If they think it’s a medical device they won’t hassle you.
Take the rail off and put it in your carry-on or checked bag.
I don’t even use the rail when traveling.

I don’t even use the rail when traveling.
I did some experimentation setting up the rig with no rail using the VDH wing.
The wing has those roll control cushions that hold the tank away from the plate just about perfect. I checked the perimiter especially across the bottom and didn’t see anywhere that the plate was cutting into the wing.
I used a couple 1/4” s/s carriage bolts cut off very short and put them into the grommet holes to hold the wing to the plate for set up. I didn’t use any washer in front of the nut, it just gets run in and tightened with a 7/16” end wrench into the grommet hole. You actually wouldn’t even need to secure the wing to the plate, the cam bands will do that.
I’m a fan of simplicity and this is simple and also allows the tank to snuggle down in closer to your back.

I tried getting through the security check with my carry on in one hand and motorcycle helmet in the other, was told I wasn't allowed to bring two carry ons.
Put the helmet on and said it's not a carry on it's part of my outfit.
He looked a bit pissed but had no other choice but tell me to send it through the x-ray along with my bag and go on through.
If you can wear it, you can travel with it :cool:
At least never been a problem for me in Europe.
Silly isn't it. Somewhat like someone having 2 beers over the period of dinner and being allowed to drive because possibly under the limit. But can't have one beer while driving. Can't drive with headphones on even though you can hear the outside world, but legal to crank up the music without headphones even with windows closed and you can't hear a thing. Or my favourite (happened to me 8 days after 9-11)--On plane, matches illegal but cigarette lighters OK. Or (same trip on Alaska cruise), souvenir Oulo knife must be surrendered until leaving ship, but meals served with metal steak knives.

@Bubblesong

What exactly doesn’t fit? I fly Delta not AA but so far no problems with my carry-on (its the weight of the checked that can get me in trouble). I have a Osprey backpack that while it looks large, especially on me, fits perfectly into the overhead. I pack my Freedom Plate and harness, wing, reg set, lights, dsmb and reel, boots, wetsuit, swimsuit and tropical change of clothes into this.

Then a have a typical day back pack that I put other essentials in like batteries, meds, etc. My now near empty handbag also goes into the bottoms of this. This fits in the space at my feet.

I have had a few airline staff marvel at my gear but never any problems.

What size Osprey do you have? 26l?

Its the Farpoint 55, size small. What I don’t like is the detachable daypack, unnecessary and adds bulk and weight. Otherwise, it is almost perfect. Packed to maximum it would be too large but I use it for weighty items not bulk.

Here is how I do it;
Freedom plate works well without any rails or anything else especially when used with a wing like the VDH 18lb, excuse the poor pics but i used my 5s iPhone.
plate on an aluminum 80
39667196613_346d30d24a_b.jpg

as can be seen here its pretty straight and once the wing is there it sits another 1/2" or so away.
39667195813_6744b1f9ed_b.jpg

with VDH 18lb
46632097931_3c53c92d2c_b.jpg

39667194273_d0f400a5ef_b.jpg

32757744458_04ef30c3a9_b.jpg

Here is pretty much everything i need for tropical diving, 1mm suit, Atomic T2, Atomic mask, beanie hood, flashlight, swimsuit and scuba pro GO fins.
39667193703_90737365c2_b.jpg

I pack it into a 20L dry bag, wetsuit, reg, beanie, swimsuit, mask, Teric on my wrist
Shot inside the bag
32757743308_4e27c780a5_b.jpg

45907576724_02db341be7_c.jpg

Close up the bag and strap it to the plate with the tank straps
32757742308_41ec8916ea_b.jpg

the bag comes with shoulder straps, I lock the fin straps to the top of the bag with the bag closer and tie it to the lower strap with the shoulder straps.
32757741998_3cdffe2625_b.jpg

this whole thing weighs 18# with the aluminum FP about 22# with stainless. i can add a second wetsuit 1 or 3mm I also utilize the weight pouches for small stuff. If security complains you can unclip the dry bag and check the plate either by itself or pack it in your luggage but so fat it hasn't been an issue.

Back
Top Bottom