Weather around January-February still good?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

pjones

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
I'm planing to go to Australia for one month. I understand that January is the busy season for tourists but its also the expensive season for flying. I can save a fair chunk of change by waiting until the end of january to start my trip but I wasn't sure if the weather was going to hold up and still give me sunny days throughout the length of my vacation. I was looking for some advice from those with experience or the locals to see if I would be getting too close to the soggy season by waiting that long into january to start the trip. Our plan was to travel along the coast from Melbourne to cairns and do multiple dive locations. We wanted to dive the Great Barrier Reefs when we get up to cairns as well, however, haven't yet figured out our routing or actual destinations yet. Any feedback would be much appreciated.

January will be fine! Hot weather with summer storms a good possibility. At the very north you are into cyclone territory as well at that time of year but you'll be fine!

Sites I know of on the way up:

Fish Rock cave - a must!

Solitary islands

Cook Island

Flinders reef

HMAS Brisbane

Lady Musgrave

GBR

Have fun researching!

I would actually be more accurate to say the month of February is the month that we would be there. What would you say is the best month for a vacationer to travel there?

Thanks for the "Must see" list. The wife and I have always wanted to go but we really are ill educated on the tourism part of it and since diving is a recent interest we haven't much info on good resorts or the such yet (just haven't had a chance yet to hit the search button on that one).

February is pretty warm, probably the most humid month in Sydney.

a few more dive locations

Eden

Jervis Bay

Shellharbour

Sydney - has some pretty good diving

Port Stephens

Forster

Fish Rock cave - a must!

Solitary islands

Byron Bay

Cook Island

Flinders reef

HMAS Brisbane

Lady Elliot Island

Lady Musgrave

GBR

a good site for dive info Michael McFadyen's Scuba Diving Web Site

Here is a link to give you a rough idea of temperature etc in the Cairns area.

Cairns Dive Trips Visitor Information

Its hard to predict exactly what conditions will be during cyclone season, so usually I would just swait until you get here and check weather forcasts.

It is still peak season but you can always change dates if you need too.

Plenty of great suggestions above, but the Reef is a must and an overnight boat the best way to see it.

Plenty of posts here but the Cod Hole / Coral Sea trips (Mike Ball, Spirit of Freedom or Taka) are the best trips and show off the best of the Great Barrier Reef.

If that budget is a bit hight, then look at the over night boats that visit the Outer Reef.

See here for a list of these trips Cairns Live Aboard Over Night Dive Trips To The Outer Barrier Reef, Cod Hole And Coral Sea.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Cairns Discount Dive And Snorkel Trips. Live Aboard And Day Trips To The Great Barrier Reef

I did my first trip to Oz from mid-Jan to mid-March 2006. I was there for 8 weeks and did a mix of diving on non-diving things. My second trip in 2008 was 'only' 5 weeks.

A few thoughts -- Australis is a HUGE country so you may want to think about flying from point to point. With a month, I'm not sure if driving from Melbourne to Cairns is overly ambitious -- it will depend how much time you want to spend on the road versus spending multiple nights in a place and diving multiple days in the same place. I'm sure some of the Aussies on the board will comment.

Also, even though it's Jan/Feb and the height of summer, the water temps on the south coast as well of some of the places on the east coast will be colder than the GBR/Coral Sea. So consider that when planning your dives.

In 2008, I did 2 weeks on liveboards (one out of Port Douglas and another out of Cairns) in March/early April (yes, slightly later than you will be there). Water was lovely and toasty (27/28C). A week later, I went to Forster/Seal Rocks in NSW and it was siginificantly colder (21/22C and a thermoclime on 1st day 17C). I froze on the first day and then borrowed a hooded top for the second day. You go there to dive with the grey nurse sharks and they did not disappoint! Of course you don't have the corals that you have on the GBR but I really enjoyed it.

I'd love to have the time to visit and dive all of the places others have listed. If I were you, I'd pick a handful of places you want to dive and consider flying between places so that you can really enjoy the diving you do. Also there's lots of great non-diving things to do as well. You'll have a great time! I'm jealous!

good point eaugirl, i tend to think people realise how big oz is.

a quick google tells me that Melbourne to Cairns
- the quick route (inland - no diving) is 2,842km (1,776 miles) driving time 1 day 11 hours

- the scenic route (along the coast - lots of diving) is 3,740km (2,338) miles driving time 2 days 3 hours.

The road system in oz is nowhere near as good as in Canada so getting places takes a bit longer.

Similar to driving from Vancouver to Toronto according to the wife (Canuck now living in oz)

January, February are the middle of cyclone season.
Whilst it has been a while since a cyclone hit Cairns,
do suggest you fly as the roads are often cut off around Tully due rain depressions.

I would not suggest you do the long haul from melb to Cairns in two days.
That is crazy. It is a four day trip going via the coast, and even that is pushing it.

A safe driving holiday, would be more like
Melbourne to Sydney, leave early in the morning and you will be in Sydney by dark with some well timed stops. it is a good highway, or alternative to take the coast rd, and stop at Jervis Bay the night, dive Jervis and head for Sydney lunch time.

Shellharbour is two hours sth of sydney and offers good shore diving.

Sydney to Brisbane is a 10/12 hour trip. there is much to dive on the way.
Seal Rocks is a great dive, as well as solitary Islands.
Bryon Bay is 3 hrs south of Brisbane and offers a good diving and great place to check out for a day. The Pacific Hwy from Sydney to Brisbane is good, with only a couple places that are still being worked on. Most of the way is well off the coast, just trees, and trees, and more trees.
You have to turn off to get to see anything.

Brisbane To Airlie Beach is a ten hour drive, most of it is off the coast, and the highway is reasonable but not the best. Airlie Beach is worth the visit even if you don't dive. it is off the main highway turn left at Mackay.

If you were to get to Rockhampton and feel tired, do not go further. It is a long haul tired from Rocky to Mackay, the road, not the best, and very little is open after dark. there is really nothing to see that you have not seen in rest of your trip. Trees, trees, and a kangaroo or two or three.

Mackay to Cairns is a good trip, long day but there is so much to see I break it up into two days.
If the roads are flooded this is were it will happen. there is 200km of pot holes from all the previous flooding. Townsville, is what it is, but the Yongala is a great wreck dive. Magnetic Island is a good place to stay as well.

Also recommend a trip to Port Douglas, most of the diving will happen out of there, and is worth it.

Consider a trip to Mossman and the gorge. There is a coast road which can be used to get to Cooktown, which if you have a 4wd is worth every cent to get across the river at Mossman.
It has some great scenery. Alternatively you can take the highway which is longer, but faster.
Cooktown is the forgotten end of the GBR. The diving is good and best of all, not many tourist.
Just hippy backpackers.

Here is a link to relocator cars and vans.
I have travelled from Cairns to Sydney and back often using them.
It cost me nothing, but food on the way. They once even paid me to all the petrol as well as
an extra $100 bucks for food.

Rental Relocations Australia New Zealand United States Canada - Hire Now at StandByCars

You just have to pay $1000 incase of accident and what ever the hire cost of van is,
often $1 a day. If you decide to use them, be quick to make decisions, because everyone is using them and they go very fast. They do have a waiting list you can join.
That time of year, there will be lots of cars leaving Cairns, and cars traveling from Sydney to Melbourne from memory.

Just another hint if you are going to fly, join up for email from Jetstar and Virgin.
they will send you info when they are having sales. This is when you book. Flights can get as cheap as $39 from Cairns to Brisbane, etc etc.

Late January, lots of students returning interstate for start of Uni. Everyone is waiting on the sales, so book early. The sales for that time will be on in late November/ Early December.

When in Brisbane don't forget the HMAS Brisbane, great dive, and worth every cent.
:)

February is a good time to travel although it will be hot. The water temperature around Coffs Harbour (Solitary Islands) will be around 24 degrees. The suggested dive sites listed here are great but I would also add Narooma where you can dive with seals.

The distance from Melbourne to Cairns via the coast is 3674km. At best this will take you 44 hours of driving time.

Enjoy.

Back
Top Bottom