Weather in Morehead City first week of August 2018

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

MikeM_scuba

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Hi all. We are planning trip next week (end of July - beginning of August) to Morehead City to dive with Olympus and Discovery Scuba. Just checked the weather - it doesn't look good for next couple of weeks.
Question. Will they take divers to offshore wracks if weather calls for t-storms? How good is diving in rain over there? Does rain brings low visibility etc? Asking those hard core guys go taking trip there every year or couple times a year, and people who live/work there. Thanks

I will be visiting my family next week in Kill Devil Hills and spoke to Mother
last night . They have been getting some afternoon thunderstorms but that
should not effect your diving . I would worry more about the wind than rain .
I would call the operator you plan on diving with as I am sure they have their
hand on the pulse of where to go or not to . The rain should not effect your
visibility on the deep wrecks . Enjoy your diving and be safe !
Sea Dwellers

This weeken looks good for diving. Looks really good Monday and Tuesday...Wednesday looks decent...

2-4 foot seas is the cutoff for most boats. If the forecast says 3-4’ or 4’...anticipate not going. 4’ doesn’t sound too big for a 65 foot boat, but it’s 4’ at 5 second intervals...that’s a rough ride.

I suggest using the marine forecast from NOAA as a baseline, and using the superforecast on windfinder 1 day out.

Bottom line, right now we are seeing almost 4’ today, tomorrow around 3’...Sunday 3’...Monday 2’...tuesday <2’ until the evening when the wind starts ramping up again.

Disclaimer: I’m usually right about sea states...but the above paragraph could be total garbage.

Keep in mind that a number like 3' is not the highest wave. It is some sort of weighted average. So a 4' day could have a few 5s. Rain by itself is usually not a factor. Rain or more importantly heavily overcast reduces the light so it is like diving at dusk. Bring a couple of lights. Wind direction is important also in terms of the more inshore stuff is divable.

This is NC. I dive out of Wrightsville Beach but I have seen days where the forecast was good and we started out and seas got rough and we went in closer to shore or the boat canceled. I have also seen days where the forecast was very iffy but there was a front passing through and the captain thought we might win and we had 1 ft seas and a gorgeous day diving while the wind shifted direction.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom