Webbed Gloves

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

JeffG

To the extent you are still looking,
sprint aqatics has a good selection of webbed gloves. I tried to give you the URL but the reply bounced back because I do not submit often enough.....but combine the two words and add .com

I do caution you though that many disabled divers do not like to swim with the gloves because of dexterity reduction. Hope that helps....

sprint aquatics has a good selection but please note that many disabled divers do not use the webbed gloves due to dexterity reduction. as I am unable to post the url, combine the two words and add .com

For what it's worth, I have used a pair of hyperstretch webbed gloves this past week in the keys. My impressions are that:
1. Webbing does help with propulsion
2. The gloves were very difficult to put on- the web is made of thin rubber like the soles of booties while the fingers are a tight fitting hyperstretch material which is extraordinarily difficult to actually wiggle your fingers into.
3. The gloves I wore were not robust enough- they show a lot of holes and tears after just 12 dives.
4. The thin gloves provide virtually no thermal protection; In 50F water my hands were cold, maybe a bit less cold than naked, but not by much.

I am sitting in the airport so can't look at the brand- I will look it up when I get home if you're interested in the specific brand. BTW I am new to the board, but also a paraplegic (T12).

iain53

Just saw this thread, and wonder if a company that custom makes wetsuits couldn't add webs to existing gloves, or make a custom glove for you? Try JMJ Wetsuits or Otter Bay

Last edited:
Just saw this thread, and wonder if a company that custom makes wetsuits couldn't add webs to existing gloves, or make a custom glove for you? Try JMJ Wetsuits or Otter Bay

I am going to ask a few questons of divers with handicaps, as I do not have any, but am very interested in applying what I've learned over the years to these kinds of problems. First a comment on the above post. We (divers who began a long time ago--1959 for myself) used to make our own gloves. It is simple, and straightforward. All you need is sheet neoprene, skin one side (no neoprene on one side), a pair of sissors, a pen and some neoprene cement. We made three-finger mitts for use in cold water (Oregon diving), and used 1/8 inch (3 millimeter) sheet neoprene. We would simply put our hands on the sheet neoprene, with the thumb and forefinger separate, and the last three fingers together, and trace around them. We'd leave about a quarter inch for the depth of the fingers (maybe a little bit more--better too big than too small), and cut them out. We'd then flip each and do another set for the mirror-image other side, and simply glue them together. They would last several years, actually, and keep our hands very nice and warm in cold water. Why couldn't you use this same technique to make webbed customized webbed gloves for yourselves?

My other question has to do with webbed gloves as propulsion underwater. Are they (webbed gloves) actually effective? I say this because you need to recover the arm stroke, and webbed gloves are actually made for the freestyle stroke, where the recovery stroke is above water. If you are swimming underwater, how do you recover your hands/arms for the next stroke? Are you using a modified breast stroke? If so, do you have a technique such as is used by the seals for collapsing the web, or streamlining the hands, so that the webbing doesn't "catch" the water on the recovery?

I have been studying underwater swimming techniques for many years, and have developed my own type of underwater swimming, which may be very applicable to people with double amputations, especially above-the-knee double amputations. Is there an interest in this type of technique?

SeaRat

Ratliff, the stroke commonly used by disabled people in the water involves this, stretching the hands out in front and then sweeping them back to their sides and then repeating the process. This is the simplist most efficent way to swim. I dont use webbed gloves because they dont provide the dexterity that I need when swimming. I use a pair of swimmers paddles used for swimmer training. These paddles and stroke described have helped me out swim even the best divers and pull myself along through stong current.
I'm a t-10 para with one hundred and fifty dives in the last two years. I have some video we shot yesterday that I will get posted so you can see what I do.
My thing with webbed gloves is this:
1. They hurt my hands
2. They dont come in anything other than a skin or reef weight
3. They dont allow for good dexterity underwater
4. They wear out rather quickly
5. They are not as effcient as swimmer paddles

BrokenT10,

First, thanks for your reply. That clarifies a lot. I have two sons who went through swim teams in their younger years, and so we are very familiar with hand paddles. This appears to be a modified breast stroke pull, and you are right it can be very effective especially with hand paddes.

Second, I mentioned in making neoprene gloves above that it has "...(no neoprene on one side)..." Actually, what I meant to say was that there was neoprene skin on one side and nylon on the other (skin one side neoprene). My apologies for mis-stating this.

Finally, I said above that I don't have any handicaps. Well, I'm finding in my later years that everyone has handicaps of some sort, some are just more obvious than others.

I made contact with a gal at the Oregon VA center here in Portland, and may be able to work with some people locally on my concepts for underwater swimming.

I'm very happy that you have found diving, and enjoy it.

SeaRat

Hi Jeff and Scubadude, it's been a while since I checked ScubaBoard so just saw your post and question today. Terrapin Wetsuits can make these for you in 7 mm. If you already have a pair in 2 mm that fit comfortably and can send them, I can use them as a "go by". Otherwise, you can draw the shape of your hand with fingers outstretched and send that. If you want to discuss more, call me at 830-226-5194 or email directly to chris@TerrapinWetsuits.com

I have the only webbed gloves ever designed to be used in all catagories. Surfing, swimming, snorkel, scuba, free dive, and even used in sky diving. You need a glove that has really good dexterity, light weight, won't soak up water and has a very natural design and resistance. Try this glove and let me know what you think. you can only buy them online at darkfingloves

Roy

Back
Top Bottom