Weedy Seadragons

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Thanks for all the advice. It looks as if we will be heading out to Flinders!

MA:
Elmo has covered it perfectly. And aquatic adventures is really easy to get to just off the freeway. They are new owners so the gear should all be in pretty good nick too.

Post here when you’re diving, if I’m around I might join you.
It looks as if it will have to be Saturday 17th November.

We will get in touch with Aquatic Adventures about picking up tanks, weights and wetsuits (I don't think 3mm shorties will be enough!). We have all our own equipment apart from this.

It looks as if it will have to be Saturday 17th November.

I have a wedding that day so won’t be able to join you. You’ll want a 7mm! Hopefully the weather gods will be kind. I’ll try remember to check and post here. But Ollie at aquatic adventures will have you sorted.

If you can try dive around high tide. Incoming tide is usally a bit cleaner too.

Ask aquatic adventures about where to get in or anyone in the car park. Weedies are all over but more generally towards the end of the pier. Always keep looking around you never know what can pop up at flinders. Smooth rays are often there. But I’ve also seen southern eagle rays, and a swell shark seems to come and go. There’s a large octopus usually hiding out.

And keep under the pier, as there’s lots of fishing line around which you can get caught in . It’s generally ok to wander off at the end though.

I’ve just checked the forecast for this Saturday. It is a bit of a sotherky si may not be ideal for flinders. But give it a shot. If it’s too messy, try Portsea pier which is about 20-30 mins away. Usually weedys there too. Just watch the swell there. And I think there is a broken ladder rung making exit a little difficult.

At flinders by the way I normally do a shore exit. But entry off the pier lower landings halfway along.

MA:
I’ve just checked the forecast for this Saturday. It is a bit of a sotherky si may not be ideal for flinders. But give it a shot. If it’s too messy, try Portsea pier which is about 20-30 mins away. Usually weedys there too. Just watch the swell there. And I think there is a broken ladder rung making exit a little difficult.

At flinders by the way I normally do a shore exit. But entry off the pier lower landings halfway along.
Hi,

Thanks again for the info. We have had a slight change in our plans and are hoping to dive Flinders Pier on Friday now. I think high tide is about 6:15 am so we are going to pick up tanks on Thursday from Aquatic Adventures and head down to the pier as early as possible on Friday. I don't know if you would still be interested in joining us at that time?

Reactions: MA
Friday looks a bit better so that should work well you! I have to work unfortunately. Let us know how you go!

MA:
Friday looks a bit better so that should work well you! I have to work unfortunately. Let us know how you go!
Hi,

Had an excellent dive at Flinders Pier today. Due to a few things that went against us time-wise, we were unable to pick up tanks yesterday for an early start. This meant we had to collect tanks this morning at 9:00 before driving to Flinders. This also meant that we were getting into the water about 45 minutes before low tide which we were not that happy about as all the advice had been to go as close as possible to high tide.

However, this really was not an issue. Admittedly we had a max depth of 3.4m and an average depth of 2.4m but this did not matter. For most of the 74 minutes we were (just about) under water, we were looking at weedy sea-dragons. They were easy to find and we reckon that we saw 10 - 12 of them on the dive.

We entered and exited from the beach in front of the car park and had no issues either way. Vis was good enough to find the sea-dragons which was all we wanted. The sea was very calm with not much surge. All in all, a very enjoyable dive and we saw what we set to see.

Thanks again for the recommendation and all the advice!

Dave.

Some pictures:

full.jpg

full.jpg

full.jpg

full.jpg

Glad you enjoyed it!! Were there any smooth rays hanging around?

One of best dives at flinders was actually on low tide.

Nice photos too. They are beautiful.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom