weekend weather for FGB not looking good

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Mauifish

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Just checked weather buoy and weather prediction for the FGB, not looking good, cold front expected to come through saturday:(

GMZ080-221530-
NW GULF N OF 25N W OF 90W
INCLUDING FLOWER GARDEN BANKS NATIONAL MARINE SANCTUARY
330 AM CST THU FEB 22 2007

TODAY THROUGH FRI
E TO SE WINDS 10 TO 15 KT. SEAS 3 TO 4 FT.

FRI NIGHT AND SAT
SE TO S WINDS 20 TO 25 KT. SEAS 6 TO 8 FT.

SUN
W OF FRONT NLY WINDS 15 TO 20 KT. SEAS 4 TO 6 FT. E OF FRONT
S TO SW WINDS 10 TO 15 KT. SEAS 4 TO 5 FT.

MON
N OF FRONT N TO NE WINDS 10 KT. SEAS 3 TO 4 FT. S OF FRONT S
TO SW WINDS 10 KT. SEAS 3 TO 4 FT.

I am supposed to be trip leading for this trip. I agree it does not look good, but I will keep checking weather all day today and settle into my "armchair weatherman" chair this afternoon. My stuff is packed from my ice diving trip a few weeks ago so I will need to knock the "cicles" off of my regulator and remove the drysuit hose if this trip makes!

I'm part of crew on this trip. I've been watching it all week.

It looked like a Thursday-Friday trip would have gone. Thats how it goes though.

TwoBit

Debraw:
I am supposed to be trip leading for this trip. I agree it does not look good, but I will keep checking weather all day today and settle into my "armchair weatherman" chair this afternoon. My stuff is packed from my ice diving trip a few weeks ago so I will need to knock the "cicles" off of my regulator and remove the drysuit hose if this trip makes!
Lets hope for a weather prediction change, I have been doing the sun dance in the backyard all morning, calm the winds, calm the winds!!

I am already making other plans, but will still keep my hopes up until I get the phone call.

The website is updated with the cancellation. I think this makes fifteen cancellations in a row for me over three years. Kind of ironic after my first three went without a hitch. Now I know what everyone was complaining about.

Well, it's volatile in the Gulf. Cancellations are high during the Spring. It's always good to have a back up plan. It might cancel a lot but it's worth the risk.

I do have a backup plan, I leave for Coz in a week. My futility is in its third year now though. I'll try again in July or August. Maybe the Labor Day trip.

Dee had a similar experience with cancellations. So did I.

It happens. Like Debra said, it comes with the territory, especially the spring trips.

Welcome to the boards.

TwoBit

Dabaras:
I do have a backup plan, I leave for Coz in a week. My futility is in its third year now though. I'll try again in July or August. Maybe the Labor Day trip.

Please let us know when you are scheduled to go. With your luck, I want to make sure I schedule a different date. Unless you go with an August trip. Then I'll know when to get the hurricane shutters out.:D

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom