• Welcome to ScubaBoard

1. Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
    • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
    • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Login or Register now by clicking on the button

Weigh system for BP/W

Discussion in 'Buoyancy Compensators (BC's) and Weight Systems' started by Alekath, Oct 30, 2019.

Preferred BP/W weight system?

1. Weight Belt

20.0%
  2. Weigh belt w pockets

10.0%
  3. Integrated weights

70.0%
  1. rongoodman

rongoodman ScubaBoard Supporter ScubaBoard Supporter

# of Dives: 200 - 499
    Extreme Exposure on the right side, one of these Extreme Exposure on the left. I also have a pair of the trim weight pockets on the upper camband. I found their ACB system to be unnecessarily bulky for the amount of weight that I usually need.

2. Scuba Lawyer

Scuba Lawyer Manta Ray

# of Dives: 5,000 - ∞
    I am a big fan of integrated weights but could never find a system I liked. So I built my own system using OMS weight pouches (each holds up to 13 pounds) and a VDH backplate. Best system I've ever used!

jQ7Rut.jpg
    v1vfqc.jpg

AfterDark and Sam Miller III like this.
  3. Bob DBF

Bob DBF Solo Diver

# of Dives: I just don't log dives
    I find that when horosontal, that I can unbuckle the belt and pull down on the buckle and the weight belt slides over my back and off. Of course when vertical its best to undo the harness unless one can pull the weight belt free without. Holding the buckle end reduces any hang ups.

Bob

AfterDark likes this.
  4. greeniguana

greeniguana ScubaBoard Supporter ScubaBoard Supporter

My wife has industrial grade grommet press. I cut a piece of 2" webbing, put grommets on each end, then fastened it across the bottom of my back plate with book screws. I put a weight pocket on the each side of the tank ridge between the BP and wing. Not sure about the grommets, I bought what seemed like good quality sailing SS version ($1 each!), if they rust I'll throw it away and start over.....

AfterDark and FreeFlyFreak like this.
  5. johndiver999

johndiver999 Solo Diver

# of Dives: 500 - 999
    Can you explain the benefit of crossing the shoulder straps like that? the slots in the plate are angled, so it looks like that was the intended rigging?

I thought I once read that it was advantageous to smaller people? I've never tried a crossing pattern?

v1vfqc-jpg.548074.jpg

6. Scuba Lawyer

Scuba Lawyer Manta Ray

# of Dives: 5,000 - ∞
    The VDH backplate is designed for optimal placement of double hose regulator cans between the shoulder blades for easiest breathing. The slots are angled to accommodate crossed shoulder straps which places the cans lower on the back than straight straps.

AfterDark and FreeFlyFreak like this.
  7. johndiver999

johndiver999 Solo Diver

thanks!!

8. greeniguana

greeniguana ScubaBoard Supporter ScubaBoard Supporter

Here's a photo of how I do it.

Attached Files:

9. Ghetto Diver

Ghetto Diver Solo Diver

# of Dives: I just don't log dives
    I have switched a marseillaise freediving belt a while ago and love it. HATED wearing a nylon belt, but there is no comparison. Very comfortable. Very safe retention as well compared to the clasp style.
    Depending on tanks..anywhere from 4 to 14lbs.

10. Eric Sedletzky

Eric Sedletzky Great White

That’s one reason to do a thorough BWRAF (or system go over) before the dive with your buddy so that all these things are covered in the event of an emergency.

Jim Lapenta likes this.