Weigh system for BP/W

Preferred BP/W weight system?

• Total voters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Extreme Exposure on the right side, one of these Extreme Exposure on the left. I also have a pair of the trim weight pockets on the upper camband. I found their ACB system to be unnecessarily bulky for the amount of weight that I usually need.

I am a big fan of integrated weights but could never find a system I liked. So I built my own system using OMS weight pouches (each holds up to 13 pounds) and a VDH backplate. Best system I've ever used!

jQ7Rut.jpg

v1vfqc.jpg

...when using the belt and pockets comb the belt would indeed require unbuckling the harness.

I find that when horosontal, that I can unbuckle the belt and pull down on the buckle and the weight belt slides over my back and off. Of course when vertical its best to undo the harness unless one can pull the weight belt free without. Holding the buckle end reduces any hang ups.

Bob

My wife has industrial grade grommet press. I cut a piece of 2" webbing, put grommets on each end, then fastened it across the bottom of my back plate with book screws. I put a weight pocket on the each side of the tank ridge between the BP and wing. Not sure about the grommets, I bought what seemed like good quality sailing SS version ($1 each!), if they rust I'll throw it away and start over.....

I am a big fan of integrated weights but could never find a system I liked.
View attachment 548074

Can you explain the benefit of crossing the shoulder straps like that? the slots in the plate are angled, so it looks like that was the intended rigging?

I thought I once read that it was advantageous to smaller people? I've never tried a crossing pattern?

v1vfqc-jpg.548074.jpg

Can you explain the benefit of crossing the shoulder straps like that? the slots in the plate are angled, so it looks like that was the intended rigging?

I thought I once read that it was advantageous to smaller people? I've never tried a crossing pattern?

The VDH backplate is designed for optimal placement of double hose regulator cans between the shoulder blades for easiest breathing. The slots are angled to accommodate crossed shoulder straps which places the cans lower on the back than straight straps.

The VDH backplate is designed for optimal placement of double hose regulator cans between the shoulder blades for easiest breathing. The slots are angled to accommodate crossed shoulder straps which places the cans lower on the back than straight straps.

thanks!!

Here's a photo of how I do it.

Attachments

• 20191103_114903.jpg
    20191103_114903.jpg
    46.7 KB · Views: 71
I have switched a marseillaise freediving belt a while ago and love it. HATED wearing a nylon belt, but there is no comparison. Very comfortable. Very safe retention as well compared to the clasp style.
Depending on tanks..anywhere from 4 to 14lbs.

That's all well and good, unless you are in trouble on the surface for whatever reason, lets say a medical issue, and someone helping you tries to ditch your weight. If they are not familiar with a BP&W with crotch strap now you have a weight belt hanging from your crotch strap that they think has gone.

I have used the Buoyancy calculator xls and am working towards a "balanced rig" using that as a guide, but with only 12 dives on BP&W half cold water steel tank, half warm aluminum tank, there is a lot of experimenting to find the preferred set up for each situation IMUneducatedO.
That’s one reason to do a thorough BWRAF (or system go over) before the dive with your buddy so that all these things are covered in the event of an emergency.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom