Weight and body image

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I have the inclination and the ability to educate you in human anthropology and evolutionary biology, but I have no desire to as you have no foundation for it.

As to the rubenesque reference, you will find that although human ideology on what constitutes being attractive for the female form has slightly varied throughout time, one of the constants has always been the hips to breasts to waist ratios. As to your unemployed garbage man/lawyer replies and laughable suggestion women find no benefit in men who will fight for their affections, a dissection would waste my time. I won't get into the benefits of higher sex hormones and their resulting influence upon physical appearance and other traits and the evolutionary success they bring, you will just have to do your own research.

I have read the methodology of the human newborn studies I alluded to. Your reply assumes many hypotheticals without supporting substantiation. Yours are discounted when I said WELL REGARDED and PEER REVIEWED studies..

As to "nature", and "natural", your suppositions are defeated by the dictionary definitions.

I know you haven't had any background of study at all in human behavioral anthropology, but if you want to fast track a foundation, try the Discovery Channel's and the Learning Channels "The Science of the Sexes" and "The Human Animal" by zoologist and anthropologist Desmond Morris.

Thank you, sir. I stand utterly defeated. I will also pass along to my gf that she is the scientifically confirmed refuse of natural selection. I guess this case is officially closed, eh gang?

cheers

Billy S.

Actually, on second thought I won't.

cheers

Billy S.

Ok, how about hearing from a women who has been both SKINNY and FAT!!! This is not a scientific research study or anything, but my own personal opinion. As skinny, no let me say thin (I was thin with a nice size chest and hips, size 7-9 during my 20's.) I was active, healthy (so I thought) and guys would line up to see me, as I was told I was easy on the eyes. Then I found out I was sick. In my thirties I gain 60 lbs, some due to hormone loss, some to eating from depression from surgery, etc. Now I was a size 16-18, after recovering from my illness, healthy (normal vitals, etc, other than weight). I did see a difference. I never got the looks, etc and no more lines but I'm I was told I had a pretty face. What mattered most was that I was healthy, my husband still loved me and my true friends were my true friends. I was not happy with myself, so I lost 30 lbs, for me. Today I am a beautiful 40 something women in a size 12-14 who tries hard to eat right, take care of herself and not care about what other people think. Maybe that attitude comes with wisdom. I'm 5'8 and weigh 165 lbs. Tell me, is this considered overweight? For me no...I'm just happy to be me. Beauty is in the eye of the beholder.

DyperBoi:
As to the rubenesque reference, you will find that although human ideology on what constitutes being attractive for the female form has slightly varied throughout time, one of the constants has always been the hips to breasts to waist ratios.

Actually, if you want to go down the anthropology route then surely you are aware that there are some African tribes who like to have really really large women. A husband with a big wife shows that he can feed her and it is a status for wealth.

Romans liked their women to have ginormous bums. For no apparent reason.

There has been a lot of evidence to suggest that Inuit men previously preffered their women to be on the heftier side because it meant they would be able to survive the harsh winters - thinner women might freeze.

The statement you make here seems to suggest that you feel us larger ladies as crashingly unattractive. Fair enough, think what you like. But according to evolutionary biology, men should find someone like me more attractive than, say, Nicole Kidman. Why? I'm sturdilly build and I have wide childbearing hips. Basically that's what it comes down to.

DyperBoi:
It is not society that demands perfection, it is Mother nature, or more accurately-natural selection that causes the sexes to be more attracted to traits that refines the gene pool than pollutes it

Because there has never been an attractive serial killer. Because attractive people don't have genetic diseases. All us plump folk are just abberations right?

Come on, lets get serious. Natural selection is not about attractiveness. It's about the survival of the species. And according to the latest anthropological research, us "fat ones" are the future of the species:

"[Fat] Some researchers propose that it evolved as a sexual signal to attract mates. Others posit that such fat could serve as reserves in times when food is scarce. Yet none of these hypotheses explains why the fat deposits are located where they are. Now a report in the most recent issue of Current Anthropology aims to do just that. According to Polish researcher Boguslaw Pawlowski of the University of Wroclaw, the fat deposits may help to meet the balance requirements of two-legged walking during pregnancy and lactation.

Just a heads up - I'm not flaming you, just setting the record straight.

Nauticalbutnice :fruit:

DyperBoi:
I have the inclination and the ability to bore you...blah blah blah blah As to the rubenesque reference...blah blah blah....Channels "The Science of the Sexes" and "The Human Animal" by zoologist and anthropologist blah blah blah...Desmond Morris.

Can anyone spell l-o-s-e-r ? :10:

I have to say, Who really cares!!! People can use stats and educated theories and all kinds of BS to make their point. You can only believe half of what you read and less of what you are told. I'm sure there is something behind all this. It's not because the magazines tell us that this girl is attractive that makes Guys act like a bunch of animals. There is something behind it so the magazines have used this to sell their magazines. If people are offended by what the magazine promotes than simply stop buying it. I'm one of these guys that carry around an extra few pounds. I'm 5'9", 210lb mostly muscle. According to these shows that I've seen I have the larger frame and have a small fat reserve for those prolonged hunting trips. I should be the ideal candidate for women. I'll tell you something I've never had the problem being surrounded by women. I did find a woman who I found extremely attractive and for some strange reason she finds me attractive.

I think there is a difference between FAT, Overweight, Healthy and Thin
In my opinion only and I have no medical mumbo gumbo to back this.
You can be thin and healthy. You can be thin and Unhealthy. You can be the perfect weight and healthy and also be unhealthy. You can be overweight and healthy as well as unhealthy. Being fat is not healthy period.

The guy who ran the dive shop where I first got my OW is fat. He use to be overweight. He use to run about 250lbs at 5'10". Like me he was shorter but stocky with a heavy frame. He also carried a larger fat storage than I do. He use to be remarkable U/W. You would be amazed on how comfortable he looked there. He now weights my guess well over the 300lb mark. Three years ago he developed asthma. Last year he was diagnosed with diabetes. Last month he took a heart attack. I called him when he got out of the hospital and the first thing he said to me was the heart attack was due to the pills he was taking and not his weight. I told him he was full of sh#$. He always has an excuse. The weight has nothing to do with my breathing problems. The weight has nothing to do with my diabetes. He has stopped diving and took up golf. Sounds good but he uses the damn cart to drag his *** to the ball. I tried to get him out walking but he makes the excuses that it's too hard on his feet. All he does is sit behind the counter eating and sweating like you wouldn't believe and then struggles to get out of his chair when a customer comes in the store.
Now how is that healthy? I dare any "FAT" person to try to convince me that that is healthy.

I've recently start watching this reality show (not my usual choice) only because fat people caused a big stink saying that it wasn't right exploiting fat people. It's called The Biggest Loser and for those unfamiliar with it they have taken two teams of minimal to extreme overweighed individuals and put them in a house and have taught them to eat healthy, exercise. At first it seemed a bit brutal. When you see a grown man crying on TV after losing 70lb and looking a full size cutout of him and saying that his life has changed for the better. Not one person said that they were happier being fat.

Jason

DyperBoi:
I have the inclination and the ability to educate you in human anthropology and evolutionary biology,
but I have no desire to as you have no foundation for it.

you are also exceedingly humble, i see :wink:

Back
Top Bottom