Weight and body image

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

NauticalbutNice:
Does it have an F in it? :wink:

Nauticalbutnice :fruit:

After a thorough investigation, I have made a determination that you are in violation of the Terms of Service (TOS) related to flaming, baiting and harassing members and using disguised profanity.

But not to worry, nothing will be done because the object of your harassment has ideas heterodoxic to the board owners, so your harassment will be affirmatively allowed-that's my hypotheses at least....

Now since I am being victimized here, perhaps I can find a battered mens shelter..oops, I forgot, they don't exist even though men are as likely to be the victims of domestic violence.....

Oh well, back to diving I guess.....

:wink:

DyperBoi:
After a thorough investigation, I have made a determination that you are in violation of the Terms of Service (TOS) related to flaming, baiting and harassing members and using disguised profanity.

Actually not!

I tend not to swear anyway and never really thought how that could be taken. Just chose a random letter to have a laugh with Scubafreak.

Apologies if it upset you.

Must be all the fat, numbing my brain :wink:

Nauticalbutnice :fruit:

I can give some input from both personal and professional experience. Personal first.

I was in great shape in high school, college and out of college. Working out and eating right was always a priority. I never understood why everyone didn't spend 1 1/2 hours a day at the gym and eat properly. I do now. I tend to be an extremist to some extent. I got married, have a wonderful wife and kids and let myself lose my "gym time" in this whole process. Its gotten to the point where its almost depressing. I have workout stuff at the house but its in the den which is the kids room. I can't workout in peace so I don't enjoy it and don't do it. The gym is, I guess you could say, therapeutic for me, working out and socializing in the process. So, instead I sit around the house, drink 3-5 beers every few nights and play on the internet. When I drink a few beers I get the munchies and eat. Not a very good habit. Do you see where the extremism is coming in here. Anyway, my family history is bad, dad died of a heart attack at 35, I'm 35 now. But, even knowing my history I'm not doing great now because I'm not going to the gym. I am a little over 5' 7" and am not really "FAT" but I am starting to look a little "THICK". But, I'm having difficulty losing because I haven't been doing what I truly love, going to the gym. The wife and I talked the other day and I'm going to start back at the gym in about a week. I'm not concerned too much about my "bad habits" now as I'm sure my extremism will kick in when I go back to the gym, it always has in the past. I will tell you I have tons more energy, feel better about myself and have a better overall attitude when I'm in good shape. Theres my personal input. Follow the results under the fitness challenge thread starting the new year. Heck, I may even post a disgusting before picture just for fun.

Now for professional experience. I am a dietitian (so I can't really afford to get too "THICK",lol) and have counseled many people regarding weight loss. No, not all of the obesity is from food intake but I can tell you that a whole heck of a lot of it is. We have people write down what they eat, how much and how it is prepared and have them document it immediately after they eat. They are generally amazed at how much they really eat without realizing it. Another thing they are amazed about is when we show them what a proper serving size is. They dang near fall out of their chairs. Most all of these people can be successful at losing weight. However, they must find something that works for them, a lifestyle-not diet, and live it daily. My lifestyle has changed and it shows in my appearance and fitness level. I am fixing to change my lifestyle again and will be pleased with the results, feelings etc. Just my 2 cents worth. In my experience, my weight and fitness level is important to me and I feel much better the better shape I'm in. Good luck all. Greg

K-Rae:
There is also the issue of a potential increase in risk for DCI, should the glorious day come when your girlfriend decides to get certified.
But DAN says: "There is no strong body of evidence to suggest that overweight individuals have a greater risk of DCI or that they suffer more dive-related injuries than divers who are within 10 percent of their ideal body weight. Obesity by itself does not restrict diving. The best indicator of diving fitness is the individual's general health and level of physical fitness."

knotical:
But DAN says: "There is no strong body of evidence to suggest that overweight individuals have a greater risk of DCI or that they suffer more dive-related injuries than divers who are within 10 percent of their ideal body weight. Obesity by itself does not restrict diving. The best indicator of diving fitness is the individual's general health and level of physical fitness."

I've always been under the understanding the fat tissues take on nitrogen at a faster rate than other tissues and that depending on the amount of nitrogen absorbed may not be able to off gas in the allotted time of the tables that were once built around young, healthy, navy divers. What studies have been done for DAN to say there is no strong evidence to suggest that overweight individuals have a greater risk of DCI. Is there any links you can provide? I'm very interested in why DAN would say this.
Thanks
Jason

And keep to the topic at hand.

It is a sensitive issue for some people; please treat it as such.

We now return you to your regularly scheduled thread, already in progress. :wink:

I'm sorry to bump this thread up after a month, but there's a couple of issues I want to reply to.

I have been overweight most of my life - ever since stopping competitive gymnastics and well, actually being allowed to eat :) But for most of it, I was extremely athletic (playing rugby for England students among other things) and I was perfectly happy with my health and shape, despite being theoretically obese.

However, a few years ago, I had a very nasty injury which resulted in having to give up rugby, and since I was suddenly doing no exercise, I put on 4 stone (er...56lbs). I hated it, I wanted to change it, but there was nothing that anyone could do or say that didn't make me hear "You're far too fat", with a lot of negative connotations.

I have since lost that weight, and am aiming to lose another stone or so, because at the weight I am now (the weight I was playing rugby competitively), I don't feel healthy. Why? Because I am not doing, in fact cannot reasonably do, the amount of exercise I was doing while playing rugby competitively, and am far more unhealthy at that weight than I was then. I could maintain that weight and feel healthy then, I cannot do it now.

One thing that made me start to seriously lose weight was the realisation that I really wasn't happen with my body. Until you get that, I don't think there's any way you can motivate yourself. Having said that, things like inviting your friend to go hiking, to play tennis, hell anything you can think of that is active where the focus is not on weight but on enjoying yourself, can be very beneficial; because the emphasis is on the social rather than the health issue, it's far less confrontational.

Fat has very negative connotations in society today - as evidenced in your posts DyperBoi.

Which brings me onto my next point...

Originally posted by DyperBoi
I have the inclination and the ability to educate you in human anthropology and evolutionary biology, but I have no desire to as you have no foundation for it.

From what I've read of your posts, I don't think you have the ability to educate anyone in anthropology or evolutionary biology. But go ahead, educate me...and I should point out my degree from Cambridge is in Archaeology and Anthropology...I certainly have the foundation, but let me give you a little.

What you have been talking about in your posts is sexual selection. It is a very different thing from natural selection. What is sexual selection? Read Jared Diamond's The Rise and Fall of the Third Chimpanzee for a good general discussion, I really don't ahve the inclination to do it here :p...well maybe just a little.

What you have to remember, DyperBoi, is that people's view of what is attractive varies widely from place to place, from person to person. Your view that fat people are the most unsuited to compete in the gene refinement game is based on no evidence whatsoever. Why do I say this? To take an example, here's a (paraphrased) quote from a Fore man (from Papua New Guinea) on what he finds attractive:

"I don't understand you white men. Your women are all so ugly - too skinny, pale limp hair, noses like axe blades, they smell bad and have big bulging eyes like a fish. When the time comes for you to find a wife, you should look at the Fore women - they are beautiful with their small eyes, thick frizzy hair, big bottoms and wide flat noses. Truly Fore women are the most beautiful in the world"

So what do we find attractive? Well, generally what we find attractive is what is similar to ourselves. Had you grown up with the Fore you would also think that slender blonde women with big eyes were ugly.

It is because of this that attractiveness is not a measureable constituent of natural selection. Your socio-cultural background will change what you view as attractive, and this can vary from person to person. Weight is not a measure of natural selection, precisely because it has very little effect (except in extremis) with child-bearing and child-raising capability. Furthermore, the immensely complicated interactions that make up human societies go well beyond natural selection in selecting for a suitable mate.

Had they, there are multiple well regarded peer reviewed studies showing that newborn infants will have their attention held longer when shown attractive human faces than unattractive ones.

Actually no. If you're referring to the studies I think you are referring to, the conclusion was actually that their attention was held longer by people with more symmetrical faces, which is not the same thing as attractive. Many of the people that would be considered attractive actually have very asymmetrical faces.

it is Mother nature, or more accurately-natural selection that causes the sexes to be more attracted to traits that refines the gene pool than pollutes it. That is why some women who are so skinny they can become amenorrhic-they are not good candidates for perpetuation of the human species and natures tells them so.

Again no. Amenorrhea has nothing to do with not being a good candidate for perpetuation of the human species, at least not in the sense that you are talking about. It is a fairly complex problem, but at its heart is the fact that bearing a child makes demands on the body. If the body is incapable of meeting those demands, and this can be based on a number of things, then ovulation may stop in response as a defence mechanism, more or less. It is rather a survival trait, which if anything, will be naturally selected for - a body that has the resources to cope with child bearing will be far more likely to have a successful childbirth.

I find your posts DyperBoi incredibly patronising. If I have come across the same way, I apologise to everyone.

Ali

Back
Top Bottom