Weight Distribution

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

waterdogs

Reaction score
Still going through class and have a question regarding "weight distribution". I am currently diving a Zeagle Ranger.

Question: Is having all the weight distributed in the pockets good, bad or indifferent.

Is it better to distribute weight evenly: i.e. trim weights, pockets and belt or again personal preference or doesn't matter.

I just thought that "safety" wise it would be better to have pocket weighting and belt incase or emergency situation.

Any comments, especially geared to the Zeagle.

waterdogs

I don't dive with a Zeagle Ranger but I would suggest putting about 80% of your weights in the weight pockets and the rest as trim weights as needed. For instance maybe 4 or 5 pounds as tank weights (I dive in cold water with at least a 7mm wet suit), maybe 2 or 3 pounds for ankle weights. Safety wouldn't not concern me with weight distribution because if you dump the weights in your weight pockets you are going up no matter where the remaining 5 or 10 pounds are on your body. Up here in the Pacific Northwest I dive with about 30#'s. If I dump 20 of those I would be bouyant. Dumping the other 10 wouldn't make a huge difference.

Scott

I don't dive a Zeagle, but I beleive that anytime you get a new back inflation bc it requires some expermentation to get the best balance between back trim weights and the front ditchable weights. I finally had to split my weight 50/50 back to front in order for the BC to become comfortable while on the surface. Take it to the pool when you have some time to experiment and try some diferent confiurations. So how are the classes? I beleive I remember that you and your buddy are taking classes together? Both doing well I hope.

Probably one of the toughest parts of this is finding the right balance. I was deciding on wether to purchase "trim" weight pouches for the Zeagle but with class can not decide if i need the weight distribution in the back.

Thanks for the info, I may just go ahead and purchase and try them out.

Landlocked. Doing classes with future mrs. waterdogs and they are going good. OWC is April 13th. Look forward to it.

hope all is well

waterdogs

A good rule of thumb (just to start with, you'll change later) is 2/3 weight in pockets (front/side) 1/3 in back (back pockets/ tank) Try to avoid ankle weights (there's a thread in here somewhere regarding their use) I wouldn't get to crazy about trim weights just yet either. You are still new at this and as time passes you will learn to control your buoyancy without relying on different types of weights. Most of my students come back to me later saying "Wow, at OWC I wore 28 lbs. but now I wear only 20!) Buoyancy and weight distribution are learned more through experience (and PADI PPB :wink: ) than anything else. Take your time and don't sweat the details. Remember, in diving, like reef aquaria keeping, the only things that happen fast, are disasters.

Originally posted by Paul168341
Most of my students come back to me later saying "Wow, at OWC I wore 28 lbs. but now I wear only 20.

Really? 28lbs? Ive never worn more than 12 (havent dove salt yet), and have dove as little as only 4lbs (3mm shorty). Im a newbie, but have taken my PPB class.

Yeah, Scuby, sometimes I think that the waters of New England have more salinity. :D You would be amazed at what it takes sometimes. Mostly the reason is that they're nervous and breathing shallow. Also, the cove we do OWCs is rarely is deeper than 30' most depths we test at are unfortuneately at the minimum. It also doesn't help when the water temp is in the 40s and everyone is wearing 7mm 2pc with hoods and gloves. :rolleyes:

Back
Top Bottom