Weight plate mounting to backplate

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

elgoog

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Hi -

I mounted the weight plates to my singles rig with the provided 3/8" screws and also used the longer 1/2" screws at the glide adapter attachment point. I noticed that none of the screws go all the way to the end of the threads .i.e. at least 2-3 threads on the plate are unused (attached photos that show this). Has anyone else noticed this? I saw the exact same thing on both rigs we have and I unmounted and remounted all plates tightly to make sure I wasn't making any obvious mistakes.
The entire setup feels pretty secure and I didn't feel any movement or play when I shook it with a fair bit of violence. I'm just trying to make sure I'm not doing anything wrong while attaching the weight plates.

I tried using the 1/2" screw in one of the "normal" mounting holes and it fits perfectly. It doesn't stick out at all (if anything, even the 1/2" screw doesn't go all the way to the end of the weight plate). I'd rather not use longer screws than necessary and risk damaging the wing.
I'm curious what others have done mounting the weight plates.

Thanks in advance,
elgoog

Attachments

• IMG_20140923_223425074_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20140923_223425074_HDR.jpg
    83.8 KB · Views: 236
  • IMG_20140923_223449933.jpg
    IMG_20140923_223449933.jpg
    40.4 KB · Views: 201
Last edited by a moderator:
Just to clarify, all photos are of the recommended setup - all screws used as intended.
1. Both photos are on the tank side of the plate
2. The 1st one is the higher mount point using the 3/8" screw
3. The 2nd photo is of the one using the 1/2" screw on the glide adapter side

Hi -

I mounted the weight plates to my singles rig with the provided 3/8" screws and also used the longer 1/2" screws at the glide adapter attachment point. I noticed that none of the screws go all the way to the end of the threads .i.e. at least 2-3 threads on the plate are unused (attached photos that show this). Has anyone else noticed this? I saw the exact same thing on both rigs we have and I unmounted and remounted all plates tightly to make sure I wasn't making any obvious mistakes.
The entire setup feels pretty secure and I didn't feel any movement or play when I shook it with a fair bit of violence. I'm just trying to make sure I'm not doing anything wrong while attaching the weight plates.

I tried using the 1/2" screw in one of the "normal" mounting holes and it fits perfectly. It doesn't stick out at all (if anything, even the 1/2" screw doesn't go all the way to the end of the weight plate). I'd rather not use longer screws than necessary and risk damaging the wing.
I'm curious what others have done mounting the weight plates.

Thanks in advance,
elgoog

There is zero need for any of the fasteners to project through the weight plates. The fasteners we furnish are *intended* to stop short of the surface of the weight plates. They do offer sufficient thread engagement to secure the parts in question. Keep in mind that stainless thickness of the weight plates can vary slightly from batch to batch, and the finished length of the fasteners can also vary slightly. If we spec'd 1/2" fasteners instead of 3/8 there could be times when a sharp thread might project just beyond the surface of the weight plate. What you have is exactly what we intend.

Tobin

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom