weight pockets

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

cannon fodder

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Hi All,

I posted something similar in the dive rite forum, but I thought I would expand my post. I have a non integrated BCD and had problems with my weight belt slipping. Some of the people on the boat suggested suspenders, so I got a pair. The suspenders make the "quick release" on the belt into more of a "release is possible if you work at it".

I see that there are weight pockets available with quick releases from dive rite, xs scuba, sea soft, manta, and possibly more. I am wondering if these will allow me to turn the suspenders and weight belt into a harness with quick release weights, like a weight integrated BCD? Is this a good idea, or something to be avoided?

Also, how big are the pockets on some of these? They look long and narrow, for example how do two 3.5 inch 8 pound weights (equals 7 inches wide) fit into a pocket that is only 6 inches wide? Is it possible to work with rental hard weights in a set up like this?

Thanks,

Derek

I doubt you will find many of these compatible with a standard jacket type BC. The DR 16/32 QR pockets are intended for wing and backplate systems. The XS Scuba QR pockets, which hold five pounds each, might work with some BC jackets but I doubt it. Either the DR or XS will work with either soft or hard weights. The DR 16 pound pockets will hold two four pound lead weights or soft each.

XS Scuba does make a pocket type weight belt, really, not sure I understand the suspenders plus a jacket but not sure either why you need so much weight unless you are dry. There are weight harnesses made for drysuit diving that will work under a jacket.

N

not sure I understand the suspenders plus a jacket

Thanks Nemrod, let me clarify, suspenders plus a weight belt. The same weight belt that was hanging off of one of my fins with 2 minutes in the water after I jumped off of a boat last Sunday. It had 20 pounds of lead on it. I had 10 pounds in the side pockets of my BCD, Cressi Aquapro 5, 5 per side, the pockets are not quick release.

The pockets I am looking at fit on the weight belt, hense a belt/suspender/pocket system. The idea is that it would be similar to a harness with quick release pockets..

Derek

Thanks Nemrod, let me clarify, suspenders plus a weight belt. The same weight belt that was hanging off of one of my fins with 2 minutes in the water after I jumped off of a boat last Sunday. It had 20 pounds of lead on it. I had 10 pounds in the side pockets of my BCD, Cressi Aquapro 5, 5 per side, the pockets are not quick release.

The pockets I am looking at fit on the weight belt, hense a belt/suspender/pocket system. The idea is that it would be similar to a harness with quick release pockets..

Derek
Derek you are trying to reinvent the wheel. Check out a DUI weight and trim it has two dump able weight pockets for and easy 40 lbs capacity on suspenders and is very easy to use , dump and very secure I use them exclusively and carry a fair amount of weight with my neoprene dry suit

+1 for the DUI harness.

If you have a small butt and/or a gut and the belt slips, thus is the answer. Its also possible to adjust the weight position on your body while diving to get your trim perfect. Lastly, it is easy to release but unlike some WI BC's will not drop by accident. Its really nice for cold water divers.

Hi All,

I posted something similar in the dive rite forum, but I thought I would expand my post. I have a non integrated BCD and had problems with my weight belt slipping. Some of the people on the boat suggested suspenders, so I got a pair. The suspenders make the "quick release" on the belt into more of a "release is possible if you work at it".

I see that there are weight pockets available with quick releases from dive rite, xs scuba, sea soft, manta, and possibly more. I am wondering if these will allow me to turn the suspenders and weight belt into a harness with quick release weights, like a weight integrated BCD? Is this a good idea, or something to be avoided?

Also, how big are the pockets on some of these? They look long and narrow, for example how do two 3.5 inch 8 pound weights (equals 7 inches wide) fit into a pocket that is only 6 inches wide? Is it possible to work with rental hard weights in a set up like this?

Thanks,

Derek

Derek, what's your current bcd and the what sort of suspenders are you talking about as Nemrod is correct in that most of the weight pockets you mentioned are not made for non integrated bcds.

The only suspender type weight pockets that I know of is the DUI weight system:
DUI - Weight & Trim System

Hi All,

The DUI system looks appealing, thanks guys. The only issue I have have is the re-threading if you pull it out.

I have this BCD, Cressi Scuba Diving B.C.D - Aquapro 5, these suspenders, Weight Belt Suspenders , and this belt 60" Weight Belt with Plastic Buckle . The reason I got them were I did, is because LP is 3 stops down the subway line from me.

And yes, I know, if I had waited and bought the BCD after I finished OW and did a few dives I would have bought a weight integrated one and would not be posting here. :blush:

Thanks,

Derek

To be more specific, I was thinking of threading one of these through the weight belt, they all have 2 inch straps on the back,

http://www.diverite.com/products/catalog/pockets/ac3232
http://www.diverite.com/products/catalog/pockets/ac3216
http://www.seasoftscuba.com/quickditch-pocket.html
http://www.xsscuba.com/weight_belts.html
http://www.privateerdivers.com/product/weight-pocket/

Last edited:
Hi All,

The DUI system looks appealing, thanks guys. The only issue I have have is the re-threading if you pull it out.

I have this BCD, Cressi Scuba Diving B.C.D - Aquapro 5, these suspenders, Weight Belt Suspenders , and this belt 60" Weight Belt with Plastic Buckle . The reason I got them were I did, is because LP is 3 stops down the subway line from me.

And yes, I know, if I had waited and bought the BCD after I finished OW and did a few dives I would have bought a weight integrated one and would not be posting here. :blush:

Thanks,

Derek

Ah I see, the cressi was bought after ow... anyhow, the dui system is pretty good however, you could trade in your bcd for something else if you are more interested in a back inflate system etc.
http://www.leisurepro.com/Content/Used.html#!1

Then you can go the bp/w or zeagle express tech route lol!

Hi All,

1) It's easy to rethread
2) Other than a time or 2 for practice how often do you think you will be ditching weights?

Do not try to make you BP&W into weight integrated BC, the harness is the way to go.

Pete

Question for people who use weight suspenders instead of weight belts. If you are using BP/Wing, wouldnt the shoulder and waist straps of your BP wing straps rest in the exact spot as these suspender straps? How do you manage the strap over strap situation?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom