Weight question. Possible DIY.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

captainhook426

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
So I'm doing som research on soft weights and DIY applications and such. Would I be correct in assuming that a normal 5 pound lea weight is indeed 5 pounds negative? And that a pouch with lead shot is slightly less negative than 5 pounds because of the pouch?

So my DIY thought. I was looking for a way to keep and maintain a soft weight system, but not have to be in contact with lead (especially with my dogs around all the time). I was thinking maybe the use of river rocks or smooth stones of some sort. Most of them are cheap, no corrosion to speak of, and no contamination. I also think I can get them in similar similar sizing to shot.

Anyways just a thought.

Something like $500,000 worth of gold.... Let me get right on that....

I think silver is almost as dense as lead. But seriously, the low cost and density of lead is why it is the standard. Some people put the lead shot into a vacuum seal bag and then put that lead bag into whatever casing material they choose to avoid the leaching. I played with that idea some but vacuuming all the air out makes the weight a hard weight again so what is the point. I just put the lead shot in and didn't worry about it and I don't notice any lead dust on anything after they are used.

You need something dense so they won't have to be so big. Use gold.

Depleted uranium works well also.

I think the objective is to make the pouch contents 5 pounds net weight. The pouch material will be close to water in density and of no measurable buoyancy impact.

The same is true for coated hard weights. The lead is of the stated weight and the coating is in addition.

Stones while heavier than water are a good ways from the density of lead hence you would need a lot more bulk to get the effect. Also consider that any weight displaces water so as the density of your weights decease the amount of material needed by volume increases. Only the density above that of water has value.

Lead is pretty much the universal solution for this and cost reasons.

Pete

Seriously, if this is important to you 316 grade stainless steel pellets are available. If I understand Damselfish's table correctly, lead is about 7/5 heavier than steel by volume so a bag that would hold 5 lbs of lead shot would only hold 3.5 lbs of steel pellets (assuming the same size pellet).

My understanding is that most of the better soft are coated to prevent lead leaching. I am not sure how long the coating lasts but you could probably coat them with some type of sealant to prevent leachin

I've read multiple people saying they've ad leaching problems.. They report a silver-metallic residue when they rinse the pouches.. I'm trying to avoid that.

Back
Top Bottom