Weight System for BP&W

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

crapwheresmyreg

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Hello All,
I got to take my new BP&W out for a first test drive on Sunday and it was absolutely awesome. I feel there are some fitment issues I need to address, but overall its much more comfortable than the jacket style BC I am used to. The main issue I had was that the weight belt I was using wouldn't stay on. I dive in Monterey with a 7mm suit. I got a nylon belt with some integrated pouches and while it was marginal on land, It kept working its way down below my butt in the water. I feel this is most likely because of the suit compression at depth. So for those of you using a BP&W, what are you using for a weight belt? I need about 20lbs of weights to get down, after my integrated weight plates. Any help is appreciated!

Hello All,
I got to take my new BP&W out for a first test drive on Sunday and it was absolutely awesome. I feel there are some fitment issues I need to address, but overall its much more comfortable than the jacket style BC I am used to. The main issue I had was that the weight belt I was using wouldn't stay on. I dive in Monterey with a 7mm suit. I got a nylon belt with some integrated pouches and while it was marginal on land, It kept working its way down below my butt in the water. I feel this is most likely because of the suit compression at depth. So for those of you using a BP&W, what are you using for a weight belt? I need about 20lbs of weights to get down, after my integrated weight plates. Any help is appreciated!

Freedive Weight Belt | MAKO Spearguns

- Which BP/W is it? If it's DSS, the 8lb weight plates are awesome.
- For weight belts, I found that the ones that come with pouches always slip down the way they did for you. I use a simple webbing belt with the weights directly laced on (you can buy webbing by the foot at Anywater or Diver Dan's). Also get a steel buckle for it. If you don't have your own weights, get the XS Scuba weight pockets for the belt. I've seen people use rubber freedive belts as well and have heard good things about them.
- You can put some of the XS Scuba pockets on the cambands of your BP/W as well. 20lb on the waist is pushing it for me.

Edit: @CuzzA posted about the freedive belt at the same time. That particular one is the one I've seen everyone recommend if you go that route.

- Which BP/W is it? If it's DSS, the 8lb weight plates are awesome.
- For weight belts, I found that the ones that come with pouches always slip down the way they did for you. I use a simple webbing belt with the weights directly laced on (you can buy webbing by the foot at Anywater or Diver Dan's). Also get a steel buckle for it. If you don't have your own weights, get the XS Scuba weight pockets for the belt. I've seen people use rubber freedive belts as well and have heard good things about them.
- You can put some of the XS Scuba pockets on the cambands of your BP/W as well. 20lb on the waist is pushing it for me.

Edit: @CuzzA posted about the freedive belt at the same time. That particular one is the one I've seen everyone recommend if you go that route.
It is the DSS plate and yes, the weight plates are awesome. I will have to get myself a standard belt and maybe some rubber coated weights. I just read that the rubber may help to keep the weights from slipping. The rubbber weight belt also sounds like it may be a good idea. Anyone have any experience with the weight harnesses like the DUI?

BLRRWB.jpg

undefined

Last Viewed 2 minutes ago

Sale
Blue Reef 55" Rubber Weight Belt with Marseillaise SS Buckle

SKU: BLRRWB MFR: WB-05A
1 review

2 Questions Answered, 1 Comment
ASK a Question
Live Chat
Your Price
$24.95 You save: $29.00 (54%)
Regular: $53.95

It is the DSS plate and yes, the weight plates are awesome.
Do you already have the weight plates and need 20lb more?

I will have to get myself a standard belt and maybe some rubber coated weights. I just read that the rubber may help to keep the weights from slipping. The rubbber weight belt also sounds like it may be a good idea.
I don't think the rubber coated weights add that much value considering how much more expensive they are. I would recommend get regular lead lace-through weights and start with the webbing belt. The webbing and buckle is going to cost you $10 or so and you can always get the slightly more expensive rubber belt later.

Anyone have any experience with the weight harnesses like the DUI?
Personally, I did not like it. It was not as comfortable as I thought and made me feel like I had a ton of straps and stuff on my chest. Few people I know use and like it so YMMV.
I'm fairly certain that Anywater has one for rent so try it out before buying it.

various styles for various applications, and relatively inexpensive. I've actually made weight belts out of them, putting multiple pockets on some webbing..
upload_2017-6-13_14-16-3.png

the QR ones bottom drop, and the third ones are the "standard" pouch...
the 2nd ones are for webbing you can't thread stuff on..
the 4th one is for cam bands that have velcro to lock the band down (the tail end grips the face of the pouch to keep it secured/closed)...

Attachments

• upload_2017-6-13_14-15-41.png
    upload_2017-6-13_14-15-41.png
    86.8 KB · Views: 45
Do you already have the weight plates and need 20lb more?

Yes, us big guys need a lot unfortunately. I am working on getting that down. I needed 32 lbs when I took my class. I figure the backplate with the plates is about -13, so 20lbs was needed after the fact. I felt I might be a bit heavy, so im going to try to reduce a bit on my next dive, but it wouldn't be substantial.

I don't think the rubber coated weights add that much value considering how much more expensive they are. I would recommend get regular lead lace-through weights and start with the webbing belt. The webbing and buckle is going to cost you $10 or so and you can always get the slightly more expensive rubber belt later.

I think i am going to go this route for the next dive and see what happens. I can always get a rubber belt if needed.

Personally, I did not like it. It was not as comfortable as I thought and made me feel like I had a ton of straps and stuff on my chest. Few people I know use and like it so YMMV.
I'm fairly certain that Anywater has one for rent so try it out before buying it.

That is what I was worried about. I looked at one at Aquarius after our dive and it just seemed like it would be in the way. The only reason I was considering it was that my instructor had one when we were doing our class.

You can balance the ditchable and non-ditchable weight. You only need to ditch enough to gain positive buoyancy - that's only a small proportion of your total weighting requirement.

One strategy is to put 4x trim weight pockets onto your BP&W cambands. This'll swallow maybe 16lbs (4x4lbs).

That'd leave you with just 4lbs needed on your weight belt. Much less antagonising.

You could also fit 2x QR weight pockets at the rear of your waistband. They'd be ditchable. Then you'd need no weight belt at all.

Having those weights on your cambands will also help promote better horizontal trim.

Of course, that'd depend on what you calculated as your minimum ditchable weight...

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom