Weight System for BP&W

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I have 4 lbs in weight pockets on the cam band and nothing ditchable for my 3.5mm wetsuit (not that much to compress at depth, so I'm comfortable without ditchable weight). I have weight pockets that mount on the waist strap and are bolted to the plate which I've used and work well for me. Plenty of brands have options, I have a tecline brand set that came with the wing, girlfriend has DTD pockets (small, downward release), all work on a standard hog harnass BP.

I've tried weight belts under a one-piece harnass, and hated it. Not an option for me.

I use a tail weight and v-weight for my doubles. If you're not using doubles you can also strap weights to your tank straps. I use that in single tank diving to ensure I'm in good trim. Would recommend steel tank(s) and of course steel backplate for the diving you're doing as well.

Hello All,
I got to take my new BP&W out for a first test drive on Sunday and it was absolutely awesome. I feel there are some fitment issues I need to address, but overall its much more comfortable than the jacket style BC I am used to. The main issue I had was that the weight belt I was using wouldn't stay on. I dive in Monterey with a 7mm suit. I got a nylon belt with some integrated pouches and while it was marginal on land, It kept working its way down below my butt in the water. I feel this is most likely because of the suit compression at depth. So for those of you using a BP&W, what are you using for a weight belt? I need about 20lbs of weights to get down, after my integrated weight plates. Any help is appreciated!

Ok so I'm 150 pounds. I've tried every weight configuration with bpw possible. Most comfortable is always no weight (steel tank Ss backplate). In a 7mm suit I use 8 pounds of lead shot in 2 out of 6 pockets on a weight belt with pockets. In my trilam drysuit I can get away with zero lead in the summer and 25 pounds in the winter same belt all year.

I have 4 lbs in weight pockets on the cam band and nothing ditchable for my 3.5mm wetsuit (not that much to compress at depth, so I'm comfortable without ditchable weight). I have weight pockets that mount on the waist strap and are bolted to the plate which I've used and work well for me. Plenty of brands have options, I have a tecline brand set that came with the wing, girlfriend has DTD pockets (small, downward release), all work on a standard hog harnass BP.

I've tried weight belts under a one-piece harnass, and hated it. Not an option for me.
Have you ever tried a rubber belt. Their elasticity allows them to be worn low , like a gun slinger holster. LOL.

Wearing it low on the hips means it is not under the waist strap of the harness or bc. A nylon belt will tend to just slide down if worn in that position. I am hesitant to be too specific. Because everyone is different, but for most people, the rubber belt can be worn low.

Have you ever tried a rubber belt. Their elasticity allows them to be worn low , like a gun slinger holster. LOL.

Wearing it low on the hips means it is not under the waist strap of the harness or bc. A nylon belt will tend to just slide down if worn in that position. I am hesitant to be too specific. Because everyone is different, but for most people, the rubber belt can be worn low.

I haven't, but I don't own my own weights (holiday diving here). I also only need about 4lbs total for my 3.5mm full suit, which works perfectly in trim pockets for me, and integrated pockets work fine if I need a bit more.

I use a modular weight system:
V-Weight - BerTec Solutions

It is a thin steel rail that sits on the twin set bolts and accepts anywhere between one and eight one-kilo V-blocks. Being fully modular, the system allows not only to quickly change the amount of lead as needed (thicker vs thinner undergarment, multiple stages etc) but also to move the blocks along the rail to fine-tune the trim.

I am small and have very little room on my waist strap - I use (2) XS Scuba cam band pockets for trim and (2) XS-Scuba QR pockets pushed back on my waist band. Works well for most conditions - tropical I use 4-6#, Drysuit cold water up to 20#.

Back
Top Bottom