Weighting Paradox

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

This is something I will definitely try! I know I'm not horizontal all the time - I've got heavy feet :) I need to figure out a way to mount some weight on my shoulders.
The easiest thing to move on your BC is your tank... but it's counter intuitive. Moving an aluminum tank underwater means you're moving your center of buoyancy not your of center gravity. The bottom of an aluminum tank is a bubble and not a weight. Not so when it comes to steel tanks. It's hard to get your mind around this, but it's worth it when you do. Now, let's add in a second tank band, and moving that tank becomes even less predictable. So, expect the unexpected. If you really want to figure out front/rear weighting, use some clip on weights. Once you get it right, make it permanent.

This is something I will definitely try! I know I'm not horizontal all the time - I've got heavy feet :) I need to figure out a way to mount some weight on my shoulders.
I have sinky (NOT stinky!) feet, too. 2 to 4 lb on the tank band, with the band in the top position of my BC did the trick.

The easiest thing to move on your BC is your tank...

Off Topic, but this was the key to ridding me of the lower back problems I used to experience after 10-15 minutes into every dive. Due to a less than optimal tank position I was permanently diving with a hollow back. Shifting the tank slightly towards my feet helped tremendously. Definitely nothing to underestimate...

No, it isn't--just the opposite. Students are taught a feet first descent.

I have been a PADI professional for 12 years, and it was never included during that time. I was PADI certified long before that, and it was not taught then.

Re: "duck diving" I learned it in my scuba class in 1982 and it's included in the 1981 PADI Dive Manual. You mean basic snorkeling techniques aren't even taught any more?

Re: "duck diving" I learned it in my scuba class in 1982 and it's included in the 1981 PADI Dive Manual. You mean basic snorkeling techniques aren't even taught any more?
Skin diving is included in the confined water portion of the class. In that session, students are indeed taught to do a head first dive to initiate the descent for breath hold diving.

We are not talking about breath hold diving in this thread. We are talking about scuba diving.

So there is only one way to skin a cat.

Bob
I don't know what you meant by that. The reference was to what PADI teaches for descent on scuba, and the correct answer is that they teach a feet first descent. They do teach a head first descent for skin diving, but that information is not in the manual.

I was taught snorkel and duck dive way back when I started diving. I think Archer1960 is correct and this element is now absent from (at least PADI) training. I did a bit in the pool as part of the Divemaster I think (again a long time ago). Beyond that it has never been of any use to me whatsoever. Feet first descent is the standard and as a drysuit diver is pretty much the only option if you want to get the residual gas out the legs. Scuba diving isn't snorkelling.

Back
Top Bottom