Weights

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

dive_lover88

Contributor
Reaction score
Singapore...(A nice city where i'm loving it!!)(".
# of dives
50 - 99
Hi all,

Was just reading through the Encyclopedia of rec diving...

So i have 2 questions to ask:

1. How many weights do you use on the rig you normally dive with?
  2. How long did it take you to reach that no. of weights and your current bouyancy.
Sorry a nosey parker here...just curious about it.

I'm currently using a Deepoutdoors freedom harness setup ,and when i usally dive my exposure suit is the equalivent of a 2mm shortie. I'm using 2lb and diving in 28degree tropical salt water.

Took me about 30-40 dives to drop frm 12lbs to 2lbs of weight. My aim now is to dive with 0lb by the time i complete my DMT.

Thanks and Safe Diving

Darren aka dl_88:D

When I did my OW training in Maui, it took 2 dives to figure out that I only needed 12lbs on a 3 mm shortie wetsuit. I have yet to find out how much I'll need for cold water.

I really can't answer the time question, because over the last three years, I've changed suits and undergarments a bunch of times, and each configuration takes a little time to dial in. It seems as though I can get a close approximation to the correct weight on a single dive, but to get it really right takes several, and I think this has to do with how I check and how much residual gas is in the drysuit at that time. I often take too much weight off and have to put some back on, because I really can't vent the suit as empty while diving as it gets when I stand in the shallows before a weight check.

I use frightening amounts of weight -- 20 lbs, SS BP, 6 on cambands with a single LP95 and my Fusion/MK3; 20 lbs and an Al BP with my double 85s.

Darren- you're going to get great variation in your answers, since the tremendous varioation in equipment will generate equally large swings in required ballast.

I generally use 5-7#s with a 3mm full suit, fairly neutral bouyancy BC and AL80. With, for example a steel 120 and no other changes, I'd be overweighted with 0#s ballast.

As an aid to predicting ballast weight required I divide it into 3 amounts; whats needed for the rig (tank & BC), the exposure suit, and my body. I'm negatively bouyant (over the years many teachers & friends have said I was dense) so I weight for the rig & the suit, less a few pounds.
Using this method allows me to quickly and accurately adjust weight for equipment changes.

My body's bouyancy is fairly constant, but varies seasonally, dropping over the spring & summer as my cycling condition improves, and rising in the off season from good living & no riding. It seems perverse that as I gain weight I have to ADD ballast & as I lose weight I remove ballast.

I was a sinker until I got fat; now my bald spot is still dry when I try to sink in fresh water. That said, I use 12# with a 3mm/AL80 in fresh water and 14# with the same setup in salt water. I go all the way up to 26# with a 7mm/ST120 in fresh water and 30# in salt water.

Meanwhile, my legs are still very negatively buoyant so I can't hover in any position other than vertical. I've toyed with the idea of some sort of floatation devices for my legs, like maybe another layer of 7mm neoprene from the calves down, but I haven't done anything about it yet.

In warm water I wear no weight. When I dived double 120s in a drysuit I needed 13#. With a crushed neoprene drysuit, single tank and very thick undergarments I need about 15#.

Last edited:
i was just curious on how many weight're all of you using to get that "perfect" bouyancy

I can get by with as little as 18# in a dry suit with 200 polortec. For play I use 24# and for work I wear either 30# or 35# depending on what I'm doing. It's a wide range.

Gary D.

Hi all,

Was just reading through the Encyclopedia of rec diving...

So i have 2 questions to ask:

1. How many weights do you use on the rig you normally dive with?
  2. How long did it take you to reach that no. of weights and your current bouyancy.
Sorry a nosey parker here...just curious about it.

I'm currently using a Deepoutdoors freedom harness setup ,and when i usally dive my exposure suit is the equalivent of a 2mm shortie. I'm using 2lb and diving in 28degree tropical salt water.

Took me about 30-40 dives to drop frm 12lbs to 2lbs of weight. My aim now is to dive with 0lb by the time i complete my DMT.

Thanks and Safe Diving

Darren aka dl_88:D

What kind of cylinder do you dive with?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom