Weights

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

JEEP PIRATE 08

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
I spoke with a friend this week who is a muscle diver about weights. He said to cut up old ankle weights and stick them in your BC pockets. In my experience, most ankle weights are sand bags. has anyone tried this and if so, how well do they work?

I spoke with a friend this week who is a muscle diver about weights. He said to cut up old ankle weights and stick them in your BC pockets. In my experience, most ankle weights are sand bags. has anyone tried this and if so, how well do they work?
They are not sand but lead shot. Sand will have limited negative buoyancy in water.

thats what i said, I havnt seen any with lead shot bags in them, all of the ones i have seen were sand or some other material.

In my first trips to Red Sea (when I was not a diver) I used belt with pockets, where I put granite stones.
Scubapro-POCKET-WEIGHT-BELT-Diving-Accessories.jpg

like that.

Problem was a rent of lead weights without certificate. No one LDS was agree to rent it.
This solution was better than without weights, but total underwater weight was near 2-3 kg only.

I just think its ridiculous to pay the prices they charge for weight. it should be the cheapest thing you buy but because it used for Diving the price gets inflated. Im looking for any safe alternative that works. I have sources of lead and a weight mold so i can make my own but its a PIA.

true enough, I have already purchased enough to dive in fresh water, have to get a bit more to dive in salt water. IDK, im just one of those DYI kinda guys that would rather spend money on the good stuff. I have two tens I am cutting in half and they are close/accurate enough I will use them as is if not I will melt them down and re-pour them.

true enough, I have already purchased enough to dive in fresh water, have to get a bit more to dive in salt water. IDK, im just one of those DYI kinda guys that would rather spend money on the good stuff. I have two tens I am cutting in half and they are close/accurate enough I will use them as is if not I will melt them down and re-pour them.

if you're already setup to DIY, just buy some lead shot, or scrap lead from tire balancers.

Do you plan on wearing the same insulation in salt as you do in fresh? In fresh water I wear neoprene that I don't wear in salt. It turns out I need the same weight in salt as in fresh. When I was wearing a lot of neprene I used less in salt.

Are you planning on taking your own weight on trips? I'd only do that in places like GC where they charge you to use their weights. Most places I've been weights are included.

I also spent a few hours pouring weights in half pound increments from 0.5 to 3.0 pounds. I can now adjust my bouyancy perfectly. It really doesn't take much effort if you have access to a Colemen stove. Another alternative would be to get some of those "do your own weight" bags and buy shot from a shotgun re-loading source. I'd bet any gun shop near you would have bulk shot for sale.

Back
Top Bottom