Weird battery life differences...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Manatee Diver

Stop throwing lettuce at me!
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
# of dives
None - Not Certified
So I have two Terics, one is a few months old, the other is less than two months old and it came with firmware 12 I updated both to the newest firmware (16 IIRC). I notice a huge difference in battery life while sitting. My newest one is still at 100% battery life, while the older one is at 82% battery life after only about a week sitting.

Anyone else notice a difference in battery usage?

ETA: Wanted to add that IIRC the battery drain on the older Teric while sitting was at least half that, less than 10% per a week.

They should drop 0.5-1%/day when sleeping (naturally). It's not always linear nor consistent.

Perhaps charge them overnight and wear both of them as a watch over a day (or two) and see what happens. Keep in mind to be really accurate you need to wait for the battery % display to drop to avoid a rounding error (and do it over several days).

p.s. just to rule out one thing; the FW update from 12 to 16 didn't have any affect on the battery.

If you really want to get into it there's this earlier thread: The Teric's Battery Performance.

I talked to Shearwater yesterday, he agrees that losing 18% over a week is a bit high.

So to double check I dove with them today, charged them both and I will check what they are at next Saturday.

Reactions: Jay
Well it is going to be serviced.

After I charged both on Saturday, the newer one is still at 100%, while my older one is down to 86%.

Reactions: Jay
Just got my Teric back from Divetronix (the US Shearwater service center). Really quick turn around, same day fix and mail out. Richard replaced the logic board, and the battery seems to be holding since it is at 96% and it was shipped a week ago.

I will charge it, but I don't get to use it for at least a couple of more weeks (or whenever the doctor says I am healed enough). :(

Curious as to whether you have any update on this @Manatee Diver ? I fell like my charge is dropping faster than it should. I do use the highest brightness when diving but when wearing as a watch I always turn it down to the lowest. Have not really sat down and logged battery drop off and certainly do not want to cry wolf to Shearwater until I think there truly is an issue.

@Saniflush I got my Teric back from Dive Tronix about four weeks ago. He replaced the logic board, and now it is at 80% after a 31 days, including it being on a lot as I set it up the way I like it. My other Teric is at 81% with 37 days since the last charge. With it sitting there with the screen off 4-5% a week would be about normal.

No diving since it came back unfortunately, I had a minor surgery and the doc said no water until it is fully healed. But that should be ending in a week or two.

I've also heard reports of rapid battery depletion from other users. I think that there is something in firmware 16 that doesn't play well with the older Terics (ones that didn't come with firmware 12 as they made a hardware change then). Of course this is pure speculation based on a handful of reports, so it is probably totally wrong.

Thanks for the update. We got back from Mexico last night and I charged everything up before putting away. Think I will pull them back out and put a reminder on my phone to look at them once a week and see what the % looks like per week over the next couple since I know it will be a few before I am using it.

I just pulled our Teric's out of storage and both are at zero. I put them away on July 11 with a full charge. I did not plan on being over 80% at the time but we canceled our last day of diving. Normally I check them every three months. The only difference now is we updated to firmware v16, just before the trip. Battery life during the trip was also marginal as I was charging almost every night.

The battery should 'decay' approx only 1%/night.

From previous chats with SW, FW16 didn't have any battery effect.

FYI - post 2 has a link with a tonne if battery detail. An 'easy' way to check if your battery is giving you 30 hours of Dive Mode time is to wear it as a watch and compare the consumption.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom