Weird compass readings at Gilboa?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Diver Lori

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Has anyone diving at Gilboa had their compass behave oddly?

Hello Diver Lori once while I was in the bus or on top I cant quite remember but it did go whacky for a moment.
I now sport a Sunto SK7 and have not had any issues I remember.
Metal can make a compass do crazy things, in the UP of MI once my compass spun around due tot he iron in the ground.

The real question is did it come back to normal or did it not?
Be sure to check it before booking a wreck dive on the Big Lakes.

CamG Keep Diving....Keep Training....Keep Learning!

None that I've noticed, but there is quite a bit of metal down there with the plane, sikorski, bus, Dr Pepper machine, etc. It's quite possible to have the metal throw off a compass, especially in a very localized spot. We've typically not had a problem with our AOW navigation dives though.

My team was doing a night dive Saturday might and the lead compass did a 180 degree swing and immediately swung back. It was not a case of the compass being off balance either. I am aware of the issues with metal etc being a USCG veteran, but this was weird.

I have dove Gilboa a couple times but do not know the answer to this. Is there any submerged electrical cable there anywhere? Perhaps for a future project or something. Just curious because that would certainly explain this sort of behavior depending on your relative location to the cable.

Lori, really, you shouldn't go off your meds before a night dive; especially when diving with your niece :)

Back
Top Bottom