Weird depth reading after battery replacement on Gekko

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

BenZed

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499

A funny thing happened after I replaced the battery on an old Gekko that I wanted to use again for cold water diving.

As you can see in the picture, when I activate dive mode, the Gekko immediately thinks I am at 56.8 meters. After 10 minutes, the computer is getting worried about my health, and I am worried about the computer.

Any known remedies?

Bit of background: Suunto Gekko, SN 936575, not used in several years, battery was dead without signs of leakage, battery replaced using Suunto kit including renata CR2450N battery.

Check the voltage on the battery you installed. It may be low?

Was it fully operational before the battery change? Try a good soak in warm fresh water or send it back to Suunto. Or as first suggested remove the new battery and check the voltage and ensure its good.

My suunto cobra did the same thing after a battery change. Ended up replacing the "new" battery with another new one and same issue. Sent to Suunto and told some part was corroded and not replaceable. It was only a few years old.

My suunto cobra did the same thing after a battery change. Ended up replacing the "new" battery with another new one and same issue. Sent to Suunto and told some part was corroded and not replaceable. It was only a few years old.
Yeah, that would be the depth gauge. :-(
I emailed Suunto support, and they replied I should have a certified shop look at it (to probably get the same end result as you).

Was it fully operational before the battery change? Try a good soak in warm fresh water or send it back to Suunto. Or as first suggested remove the new battery and check the voltage and ensure its good.
No, battery was dead, computer had been dry for years. Soaking it as I write this.
Low voltage would not affect the depth measurement in any logical scenario.
I am not eager to have someone look at it who can't really help me because the warranty expired ages ago - but I probably will.

Check with your service centre, they may offer a replacement for reduced price scheme. My 10 year old Cobra just had the depth sensor problem which I didn't bother fixing (replaced with a Vyper Air instead), but the service centre said Suunto might replace with a working one for approximately half price of a new one.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom