Weird LDS servicing policies?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Yes it is weird, you shoult only let your second stage or your first stage to be serviced. That is also normal here. If the air2 needs to be adjusted with the first stage, they also needed to do it when you bought it. :wink:

I still need to verify if the Air2 was simply tested and determined to be acceptable (cracking pressure test I guess) or if it was fully serviced before the sale. I'm trying to be patient and rational but I definitely get a pushy vibe from them when it comes to equipment, rentals and service.

I do plan to learn how to service my own gear. My parents are sending me their old Conshelf 20 regs for me to practice on :)

Sounds like a**holes are running that shop. Find a new shop.

I recall the old days, before the common use of octopuses -- certainly before Air-2s and the like -- when local shops wouldn't dare to charge a customer, to determine whether their Dacor horse collar BC would hold air. At one time, consumer instruction manuals, right from the box, clearly illustrated how to dismantle a regulator for servicing.

The current business model, it would seem, is to perennially service everything at a premium; sell based upon planned obsolescence, to appeal to the itinerant gear-heads; and to nickel and dime. I laughed when a local shop owner inquired as to when my BC was last serviced; and offered to schedule a look-see, for only 60.00, plus any parts.

Inspections of shot bags and gear clips can only be next . . .

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom