Weird mask leak problem - second dives only

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

flspy

ScubaBoard Supporter
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I have a problem I was wondering if anyone else has.

I have a mask that seals great topside.

First dive- no problems. Even over 100+ feet. if I have to clear more than once it is rare.

Second dive- leaks like a sieve. Total nightmare. Probably lose 300 psi just to clearing. I have had the same issue with multiple masks.

Always wet my hair and smooth it back so it is not under the seal.

Anyone else dealing with this?

Last edited:
Weird. Where do you keep the mask between dives? Do you apply - or wash off - sunscreen between dives?

What are you doing differently on the second dive? If you had zero problems on the first dive that is the way it should work for future dives.
Where is the water leaking in? Top, side, bottom?
Is the mask strap tighter?
Does it seal on the surface before descent but not under water?

I have a problem I was wondering if anyone else has.

I have a mask that seals great topside.

First dive- no problems. Even over 100+ feet. if I have to clear more than once it is rare.

Second dive- leaks like a sieve. Total nightmare. Probably lose 300 psi just to clearing. I have had the same issue with multiple masks.

Always wet my hair and smooth it back so it is not under the seal.

Anyone else dealing with this?

Let's assume -- it's not the mask, because multiple have done so.

Therefore, it must be you. Something is changing by the second dive.

Take a picture, sans mask and then with mask, side angles and front on, just before first dive, after first dive, and same for 2nd dive. It may reveal what changes.

i have had that problem it is a simple fix i noticed that my mustache hair was preventing me from getting a seal so i shaved it off worked like a champ

I have a mask leaking problem. Many times the first dive is great no matter what depth but on the second dive the mask starts leaking. I shave a bit more than an eight inch of mustache away so I thought it might be that but no it's not it is leaking from the sides by the area where the strap connects. I have put lip balm in the areas and that works 90% of the time. If I am doing photography I now use a full face mask and it works great even with a beard.
Oh PS: I have tried several different mask and the leaking happens with all of them.

I can't tell from your photo whether or not you have a mustache, but my wife had a similar problem when she did her first couple of dives (and she does not have a mustache). Her problem was having the mask too tight on the first dive, which left a pretty deep indentation on her face, which in turn degraded a good seal on the second dive. Also, I think she was not staying hydrated enough so her skin was not as resilient. Since she was less than thrilled to have a mask print on her face anyway, it was easy to convince her that she did not have to tighten the mask nearly as much to get a good seal and needed to drink a lot more water, even when not thirsty, to stay hydrated. This may not be your problem because you have a lot more dives under your belt than she did, but it may help another new diver.

Another thing to consider is whether any medications you are taking could be causing edema which also reduces the elasticity and resilience of the skin, especially in areas that have been subjected to tight pressure.

Last edited:
Probably because you are still smiling as a result of your first dive.

LOL- could be

---------- Post added September 8th, 2014 at 08:22 AM ----------

What are you doing differently on the second dive? If you had zero problems on the first dive that is the way it should work for future dives.
Where is the water leaking in? Top, side, bottom?
Is the mask strap tighter?
Does it seal on the surface before descent but not under water?

Yes, mask seals on surface. Mask not tighter. Depth not issue- I can do a deep/shallow, or two shallows- results the same.

---------- Post added September 8th, 2014 at 08:31 AM ----------

I can't tell from your photo whether or not you have a mustache, but my wife had a similar problem when she did her first couple of dives (and she does not have a mustache). Her problem was having the mask too tight on the first dive, which left a pretty deep indentation on her face, which in turn degraded a good seal on the second dive. Also, I think she was not staying hydrated enough so her skin was not as resilient. Since she was less than thrilled to have a mask print on her face anyway, it was easy to convince her that she did not have to tighten the mask nearly as much to get a good seal and needed to drink a lot more water, even when not thirsty, to stay hydrated. This may not be your problem because you have a lot more dives under your belt than she did, but it may help another new diver.

Another thing to consider is whether any medications you are taking could be causing edema which also reduces the elasticity and resilience of the skin, especially in areas that have been subjected to tight pressure.

I did have a full goatee, but now completely shave off all the hair under my nose the day of the dive. I did this just for diving! Cosmetically, having the mustache shaved off is not all the different than having it, so no big deal. I have also snorkeled a lot, and noticed on those weekends when i did not feel like shaving, the mask would leak through the razor stubble.

Mask seal is snug, not tight- no indentation. I drink plenty of water the night before, morning of, and constantly while on boat. Basically, i am peeing at least once underwater! (sorry to be graphic.)

Never thought of the medication thing. That's possible. My doctor does all the physicals for the Fort Lauderdale police divers, so I all ask him. I will also post to DAN. Thanks.

---------- Post added September 8th, 2014 at 08:35 AM ----------

I have a mask leaking problem. Many times the first dive is great no matter what depth but on the second dive the mask starts leaking. I shave a bit more than an eight inch of mustache away so I thought it might be that but no it's not it is leaking from the sides by the area where the strap connects. I have put lip balm in the areas and that works 90% of the time. If I am doing photography I now use a full face mask and it works great even with a beard.
Oh PS: I have tried several different mask and the leaking happens with all of them.

This is the same issue- exactly!!! The water seems to be coming up from under my nose, but it could be leaking in the sides. I had a mustache, but shaved it off completely- just to dive. Before, I had to saturate the mustache with silicone grease or it would leak on first dive too.
I also just invested a lot of money in a good camera/housing combo, so I don't want to be jerking around with a leaking mask. Maybe I need to invest in the full face too.

Back
Top Bottom