Welcome Commercial Divers and those thinking about becoming one...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Amongst the many people who write in here asking about the industry, you are one of the few, I feel, that has good potential. You sound extremely mature and experienced for 23 years. Thats great news. Do a search here and you should find a lot of information. Anything specific we can answer to ?

Hello, my name is TJ and this is my first post on here. I just turned 23 and I am very interested in getting into the marine and commercial diving industry. I have no kids, wife or girlfriend, and there is nothing that ties me down to a particular area. I have been looking into and researching the industry for a number of years now. I came across this thread and figured I would make an account on here and ask for some input from people who are currently in the industry.

I am not new to the technical field. I am a skilled welder, mechanic, fabricator, and machinist, with construction experience. I have worked on and built off road race vehicles and other race cars. Also I worked building the skate parks and gigantic ramps that can be seen during the x-games and other extreme sports competitions. I have experience in the fast paced aerospace industry where I designed, built and assembled tooling to manufacture assemblies and parts that went on commercial and military aircraft and spacecraft. I have a heavy engineering background in the field of manufacturing and mechanical engineering. I was attending Cal Poly for an engineering degree, however I found that it was not for me and I chose not to continue, however, during my studies I have acquired, numerous skills ranging from Foundry engineering, Computer aided design, to CNC programming.

I have been looking into commercial diving training schools for a while now and i am pretty much set on one near my area(SBCC). My diving experience, however is limited to freediving. I spear fish and collect lobsters as a hobby. I was hoping to receive some input and recommendations about getting into this industry and what to expect, and what other skills(besides diving) are currently marketable in the industry today. I am definitely not interested in this field because of money. i want to apply the skills i have learned so far in a different environment.

Thank You very much.

TJ Woodland.

Amongst the many people who write in here asking about the industry, you are one of the few, I feel, that has good potential. You sound extremely mature and experienced for 23 years. Thats great news. Do a search here and you should find a lot of information. Anything specific we can answer to ?

Thank you, that's obviously something that is good to hear. I started in the machine shop at my high school when I was 15 and it progressed from there. I decided to further my knowledge through the means of a diesel technology program. After a healthy amount of research, from reading threads on this board to talking to a couple of commercial divers, and discussion with my parents I have decides to pursue this career. I will start my training this coming August. If I have any specific questions down the road I will be sure to ask.
Thank you,
TJ woodland

Hello there, this new section is a good idea.

I don't have many questions, because, frankly I don't even really know enough to ask anything intelligently. I'm just looking for an over-all realistic expectation of the industry so I can make an intelligent decision if it's something I want to do or not.

Thanks for starting the forum! I look forward to reading everything you guys have to say!

This "new" section is over three years old. Have a look around. Much has already been discussed.

This "new" section is over three years old. Have a look around. Much has already been discussed.
I'm in the same situation as "jimmyjjohn" and I've read a decent amount of this thread, but most of it seems to be outdated, such as the advice on the situation of the industry. Do you have any advice in area? And if not, where should I look?

I'm in the same situation as "jimmyjjohn" and I've read a decent amount of this thread, but most of it seems to be outdated, such as the advice on the situation of the industry. Do you have any advice in area? And if not, where should I look?

I am not a "commercial" diver and therefore unqualified to give advice on the subject. I'm sure others here will chime in.

There are several commercial diving forums. I don't frequent them anymore, but I think one is c-diver, and offshore diver. As far as the info being outdated, nothing has really changed except that in the last several months, the industry has gotten busier. Dive schools are still lying and cheating students out of tens of thousands of dollars. The cheapest place in the USA for school is still the community college in Louisianna. And if I were going to spend 40k on an education, it would probably be a nursing degree.

There are several commercial diving forums. I don't frequent them anymore, but I think one is c-diver, and offshore diver. As far as the info being outdated, nothing has really changed except that in the last several months, the industry has gotten busier. Dive schools are still lying and cheating students out of tens of thousands of dollars. The cheapest place in the USA for school is still the community college in Louisianna. And if I were going to spend 40k on an education, it would probably be a nursing degree.

What if you have someone like myself that is a registered nurse looking for a career in diving hah? I'm just trying to research options within a diving career. After reading this thread I really have no skills in areas like mechanical or welding... I did work at an oil site driving heavy haulers to pay for my nursing education though. I've just been contemplating a career change and I really love diving and curious if both can be combined. I only have 45 dives, AOW/Rescue/EANx (I understand recreation courses mean nothing in commercial). 25/F with no commitments (ex., house, partner) and willing to commute away for work.

hi master,

i would like work offshore and interest to become commercial diver. i'm owd and 20dive , 32/ male.
my background is project engineer and doing installation at site for conveyor line.
so how can i do to become commercial diver?

i,m live in malaysia...

The next time one of you young ones figure to foolishly follow an old timers example please read the attached document. I have been a "Working Diver since the age of 13 ( as illogical and as illegal as it may sound my first job was moving an uncles boat off a sand bar with a shovel and an air line in my mouth - because he weighed 450 and me 80 + at best) back then things had to be done or you lost your boat to the gulf. My reward was $250.00 and a KM 10 ( a dinosaur but still to this day in working condition). SCUBA has no place in the Commercial Industry unless for emergency purposes and we still dawn our hats and comms if possible. It is taught in every school in the US and enforced by the USCG, USN,USACE - and sadly at the discretion of many OSHA inspectors. THe regulation defines the allowed use for them to recieve pay as INSTRUCTIONAL and GUIDE only for pay. No where in the regulation is permission given for recreationally trained SCUBA divers to work as "Commercial Divers". Reason 1 NO respectable agent will write a policy that violates industry standards.
Reason 2. If a SCUBA Master Diver injures anyone in his or her care doing commercial work outside of their credentials allowances they face being stripped of their right to teach and will be criminally charged.
I have over 30 years of honorable service to this industry I am a Marine Corps Vet and as arrogant about safety and the blatant stupidity going on in this industry than even the Military is. I make it my business as part of my business to advertise and expose any SCUBA Master masquerading themselves as what I have earned.
Though OSHA regulations are only guidelines; they will be used against you or any Recreational Diver that injures a diver or damages property to the fullest extent of Maritime, Civil and Criminal Law. If you have not been certified through a commercial course or trained by legitimate Commercial Divers then you are not one. Thus not "entitled" to our wages, reputations, or our status as legitimate working divers.
Back in the day when we were not so full of acceptance There was a thick Black line that neither crossed. Now it is barely invisible as Millennial OSHA inspectors who have no actual experience in either group are "INTERPRETING" the regulations they are required to enforce.
Any Monkey can be taught to turn a wrench but recreational courses do not prepare, train or qualify any SCUBA diver to stand on any worksite next to Carded Working Diver.

Attachments

• SURVEY_AND_ANALYSIS_OF_FATAL_ACCIDENTS_I.pdf
    886.6 KB · Views: 591
Last edited:
https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom