Welcome to Sidemount Diving...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Jimi,

You will NOT be disappointed with side mount if you have any back issues. I fractured my L1 in Oct. 09. I dive open water and cave in side mount now with NO problems or pain. You have much more freedom of motion and less arching. I am fortunate that my husband carries my tanks to water's edge. I walk down, clip in while in the water and go. I highly encourage anyone with back issues to go SM. It takes a little adjustment transitioning from doubles backmount meaning the set up and config is different, but I went from double LP 95's to sidemount LP 95's or HP 100's and LOVE it.

Hope this helps!

Liz

i am looking into getting into either the halcyon eclipse or the sollis sms 100 i am a fairly new diver and like the backplate harness system but i want to eventually get into technical diving and cave diving when i am old enough to do so i was wondering if there were any cheaper options as i pay for all of my gear and i am still in school so i have to save up for all of my gear thanks for any help
and ps what do people think of diving the hollis in open water such as hood canal and puget sound

Jimi,

You will NOT be disappointed with side mount if you have any back issues. I fractured my L1 in Oct. 09. I dive open water and cave in side mount now with NO problems or pain. You have much more freedom of motion and less arching. I am fortunate that my husband carries my tanks to water's edge. I walk down, clip in while in the water and go. I highly encourage anyone with back issues to go SM. It takes a little adjustment transitioning from doubles backmount meaning the set up and config is different, but I went from double LP 95's to sidemount LP 95's or HP 100's and LOVE it.

Hope this helps!

Liz
I was working toward a doubles setup, but; I have an annoying repeat of strained back muscles lately and I AM getting older and don't expect these danged strains to let up, so SM is my choice. What's weird is, I almost NEVER strain my back when in the gym (and I lift heavy weight). It's always the most innocuous simple household task; take out the trash, pick up a cup of coffee from the table, tie my boots, etc...:shakehead:

nice vid,, was hard at beginning because of angles of shot to see your trim but later in the vid showed it nicely, are you diving the razor with al80s?

I'm much closer to getting in the water with SM. I got my Razor Harness at Christmas, 2 new Hog regs in January, Highland cam bands for my tanks, and should get my Hollis SMS100 wing next week. I'll get my SPGs and hoses in a few weeks. Don't know if I can stand the anxiousness much longer. Dang, I want to get this stuff in the water... NOW! :dork2::dork2::D

I am going to consider sidemount diving for several reasons that you all have long since discovered. But the main reason is being able to dive doubles or share a tank with my son and daughter when they dive as my buddy. I have 2 steel HP 100's and have avoided pairing with manifold BM due to inconvience in breaking apart. Add that to the weight factor ( Im 57 with tweeky back) and its a new skill that looks like it would be fun to develope. I plan to read all your prev posts and then start asking questions. Thanks in advance, Andy

Share one of my two tanks with him. Sorry....not very clear. We can both dive a single.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom