Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

aquanex

Co-Owner of YourBagTag.com
ScubaBoard Business Sponsor
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
Hello and welcome to the YourBagTag Manufacturers Q&A Forum

We have been serving the SCUBA industry and community for over 10 years now. We are really excited to have a spot on ScubaBoard. We are here to help you with any equipment name & ID tagging questions as well as to hear from you what you would like to see in our products.

We offer tag solutions for individual divers, dive shops, resorts, travel agencies and more. About 30% of our business is custom tag solutions so bring us your ideas!

If you have a question directly related to your specific YourBagTag purchase, please contact us at info@yourbagtatg.com. We will get back to you quickly.

Welcome. Was looking at your site earlier today after another member mentioned ordering from you guys in another thread. A couple of questions occur to me...

1.) Your scuba tags are made of engraved aluminum. I recall aluminum tanks develop a thin layer of external corrosion, which doesn't bore into the tank wall, unlike occurs with unprotected steel tanks. After 2 or 3 years on the job, is the engraved writing on your tags reliably legible?

2.) How well does writing from your oil-based Sharpie paint pens hold up over time if people write on BCDs or their fins?

3.) For a single tag, your prices seem okay, but for a set of scuba gear, I'm thinking one tag each for BCD, reg. and each fin, at least. Might be worth offering '4 for the price of 3' or something like that.

Richard.

Welcome. Was looking at your site earlier today after another member mentioned ordering from you guys in another thread. A couple of questions occur to me...

1.) Your scuba tags are made of engraved aluminum. I recall aluminum tanks develop a thin layer of external corrosion, which doesn't bore into the tank wall, unlike occurs with unprotected steel tanks. After 2 or 3 years on the job, is the engraved writing on your tags reliably legible?

2.) How well does writing from your oil-based Sharpie paint pens hold up over time if people write on BCDs or their fins?

3.) For a single tag, your prices seem okay, but for a set of scuba gear, I'm thinking one tag each for BCD, reg. and each fin, at least. Might be worth offering '4 for the price of 3' or something like that.

Richard.

Hi Richard, thanks for checking out our site. You ask some great questions.

• Our aluminum tags are actually laser marked, not engraved. It may sound like I am splitting hairs but engraving cuts into the surface of the metal, marking comes from the chemical/molecular alteration of the anodized surface. As long as you rinse the tags with fresh water, they should remain legible for many years. If you are concerned with the durability, I would highly recommend going with our plastic tags. The aluminum tags are much more likely to be scratched in the day-to-day rigors of diving. It is for this reason that we put the strong disclaimer in the product description on our website: "The surface of these tags is much more susceptible to scratching than our plastic tags. They are tough but they will and do scratch."
  • I have not tried our oil-based Sharpie Pens on fins or BCDs. We sell them primarily to customers looking to write on the back of their plastic equipment or luggage tags. Most of our plastic engraved tags have a plain white or black back surface. We had a number of resorts/dive boats that wanted to tag the gear of their customers and wanted to write the customer's name or room number on the back. The Sharpie Pen works great for that. I don't know about writing on rubber (fins), it has a much more challenging adhesion surface. When we full-color print on plastic, we use a plastic adhesion promoter on the tags, much like the automotive industry uses to get paint to stick to plastic bumpers. We buy it in a 32 oz bottle which can be a bit pricey for the individual user but you can get a small 4 oz bottle on Amazon. It goes for around $8.00 US.
  • I appreciate your feedback on our pricing. We do offer quantity pricing on many of our products but the break points are typically higher. We calculate our prices based on material costs, time it takes to set up, time it takes to print, mark or engrave on the specialized machines, the capital costs/depreciation of our equipment, etc. You will certainly find cheaper and more expensive alternatives in the marketplace. We pride ourselves on exceptional customer service and think our prices are fair for what we offer.

If you are concerned with the durability, I would highly recommend going with our plastic tags.

Okay, I ordered 4 of the plastic 2" circular blue with white writing tags to try out.

Not sure if this will be other's experience, but a little feedback just in case. Looking at your custom scuba tags page, I saw aluminum tags listed 1st, and the later tags didn't say what they were made of (unless you click on one and check the individual product page), so I unconsciously assumed all your tags were aluminum, and would look similar to dog licenses & I.D. tags.

Is this plastic flexible or rigid?

Richard.

Okay, I ordered 4 of the plastic 2" circular blue with white writing tags to try out.

Not sure if this will be other's experience, but a little feedback just in case. Looking at your custom scuba tags page, I saw aluminum tags listed 1st, and the later tags didn't say what they were made of (unless you click on one and check the individual product page), so I unconsciously assumed all your tags were aluminum, and would look similar to dog licenses & I.D. tags.

Richard.

Thanks for the feedback, good point on identifying the material in the product title - you are the first to bring this up.

The plastic scuba equipment tags are 1/16" thick (about the thickness of a US quarter) so they slightly flexible - not completely rigid. If you are worried about them breaking, we are getting ready to put a 1/8" thick version on the site. They will be slightly more expensive since the material is double the cost of the 1/16th inch. I will send you a sample in your order and you can give me your feedback. We stand behind our products so if there is every any issue, just let us know.

Richard.
Tags are done - going out in the morning mail....

Just looked at the site, some lovely stuff! I may be in touch soon, I've been looking for something personalised to give to my students as a certification gift, the mask straps and tank tags look pretty sweet.

Just looked at the site, some lovely stuff! I may be in touch soon, I've been looking for something personalised to give to my students as a certification gift, the mask straps and tank tags look pretty sweet.

Love it! Let us know how we can help.

Back
Top Bottom