well, got my first recovery tonight

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

mason

Registered
Reaction score
I've been on the team since April, and tonight got my first recovery. Also was the first callout of the year. Dude tried swimming across the Pecos river (@100 yards), fully clothed.

I was third shift on sweeps, and he was down around an hour when I got him. River temp was 66, so we decided to have him worked anyway. You know the rest.

Wasn't as bad as many of the guys said it would be. Maybe 18 years as a paramedic has cured much of that.

Can you believe it, November, and water still 66? How lucky can divers get?! It was in the upper 70s today, will get to 80 tomorrow. That's why I live here!

--Eddie

Good job on the recovery!
I'm sure the family although distraut, was glad to get their loved one so quickly! did you have a full debreifing with the team after, it helps to get things out on recoveries.
I suppose that recoveries affect everybdoy different, and your years as a paraedic have conditioned you so to speak but to keep it from bugging you later make sure you debreif. And that not might be enough sometimes I'd imagine that things will bug you for yearsif you look back through the posts you will see on from Gary D. that was 20 years ago and still bugs him today.

Good to have you on the board!

Good job.

Some are easy while some are hard beyond belief. Not only physically hard but mentally tough. Sometimes it just isn't possible to not take the job home.

De-briefing is the most important part of a post operation. Make sure to include everyone, PD, Fire, Medical, DISPATCHERS (everyone forgets them), traffic control and anyone involved that might have been affected. At least give them an invite.

66 degrees is considered cold water so working him was a smart thing. We stay in Recovery mode for two hours and work everyone within that frame. Much better to be way long than just a little short.

Again my hats off to you and your team for doing a good job.

Let us know how the de-briefing went. ;^)

Gary D.

PS; Greg, still on for Sat.?

Thanks, gents. We did a debriefing this morning. Unfortunately, only 6 divers were there. No PD or dispatch, and none of the other members of our team, or the department, were there. Some issues were tackled, some beneficial, but as a whole, we lost the input from all parties who were assisting.

I agree that everyone involved needs to be there. We've had debriefings on other things where everyone was invited (except dispatch, and you're right, they're always left out), and it has always worked out well.

Not sure why such a poor turnout, but I'll find out why and make sure we take care of everyone. Like you both said, many people can be affected by these things, and it might not be the people you'd expect. Now, our priority is shifted to our people.

Thanks!
Eddie

mason:
Not sure why such a poor turnout, but I'll find out why and make sure we take care of everyone. Eddie

Eddie:

First, good job on the recovery! I do believe your years as a medic will help with the coping. Unfortunately, individuals tend to get "used" to death in PD, FD, and EMS Services.

Regarding the turnout, we went through critical stress sessions after the death of a fellow firefighter. Remember that it is not considered "manly" to show emotion or anything which could denote weakness. Sometimes it may work better for good friends of the members to approach them on a one on one basis. Talking helps, it is just difficult to get some people to open up. Good luck and make certain to insure personnel are truly able to cope.

Keep up the good work!

Dan

Back
Top Bottom