Well, it's time!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I feel for ya Pete. When I first started a fitness routine about 2 years ago, the most I could do on the elliptical was 5 minutes before I was winded. I now can do 40 minutes of cardio. I've graduated from weight machines to free weights on the balance ball. I have steadily increased weights and reps. It's a very gradual process, but it is so worth it.

Major update...

Yesterday, I picked up my new bike a Trek 7500 "Hybrid" from Dave's World Cycle here in Altamonte Springs. I rode it home, a mere 2.2 miles and I admit that I was having second thoughts as I got about half way. The weak point in my workout regimen has been my cardio. My achilles tendon flares up if I walk more than a mile and it's just too darn cold to swim! I had about a half hour rest from my "grueling" 2.2 mile trek before my semi weekly date with ChaCha! BTW, now my butt hurts! :D

I have done ten sessions now with ChaCha and I am feeling STRONG. Moose joined me yesterday for a combined workout and he had a tough time. He is in far better overall shape than I am, but has no where near the upper body strength. :D (He's a wimp!)

I feel stronger, and felt that I was able to jump back quickly from the upper respiratory infection (acute bronchitis) that I had earlier this month. In fact, as I had my salad for dinner I told Dan that I felt I could punch through a wall! She did measurements on me today. I only lost a couple of pounds, but I almost lost two inches on my waist. This is a great sign for me, especially since my training has been interupted by this tendon issue. Of great satisfaction for me is maxing out on the "Back Row" machine. I am able to do 10 reps of 200 pounds (their max) on this machine. That was after 15 reps of 160 and 12 reps of 180. I am still struggling doing 3 reps (X10) of the assisted dips, though we are 20 pounds more weight since when I first started. I am compensated for 130 pounds so I am hoisting close to 200 pounds up and down.

Today, I took a minor tour on my bike and got in 5.5 miles. I was significantly faster than yesterday (9.6 mph vs 8.2 mph), and the entire experience was better, even in the bitter bitter cold (it was 42 degrees). OK, so it's only bitter for us Floridians! :D Bwahahahahaha!

The technology available today for cycling is amazing. This bike is SO MUCH easier to operate than any one that I have ridden before. Yeah, you still got to pedal, but it is quieter, easier to shift, lighter, no make that FAR FAR lighter, responsive (it's a hybrid), comfortable (especially if you use the front shocks) and all around more fun. I hope to do another 5 or so this afternoon, time permitting, and start the process to eek out my first century run. THAT will be exciting. It's been nigh on to thirty years since my last one so I will have to toughen up a bit!

Metric century you say.. hmmm when your starting to hit about 20 miles let me know.. I'll start riding more serious and we can do a metric C together.

Hmmm... I was actually thinking of a bike & dive tour on the FL east coast to... I'll have to talk to you about that :)

NetDoc:
Yesterday, I picked up my new bike a Trek 7500 "Hybrid" from Dave's World Cycle here in Altamonte Springs.

Congratulations on the new purchase. That's sure a nice bike. Things must be going well with the board and other businesses.

Marc

one of the ladies i talk to on my fatty site tells me that each day she writes down how many kilometers she rides and collectively her aim is to bike ride around new zealand (well on paper anyways)

i thought this was a very cool thing to do so im now thinking of a place i can 'run/walk' to on my epelliptic machine

just an idea for those that get a bit bored

almitywife:
one of the ladies i talk to on my fatty site tells me that each day she writes down how many kilometers she rides and collectively her aim is to bike ride around new zealand (well on paper anyways)

FATTY site? How brutal and totally demoralizing. How about "getting healthier site," or "healthy lifestyle choice site," or "slimming down site," or "getting to MARVELOUS support group site?"

well as a obese person who is working on slimming down i call myself a member of a fatty site.

your other examples are way too long for me (plus its the aussie way to shorten things/names/places)

personally i 1st need to acknowledge myself as a fatty to recongnize i have a problem

like a alcho (example of above) and booze

Scuba Do:
FATTY site? How brutal and totally demoralizing. How about "getting healthier site," or "healthy lifestyle choice site," or "slimming down site," or "getting to MARVELOUS support group site?"

Have you ever seen an Aussie's writing? they shorten evry bloody thing down!! They have words we have never even heard of!!!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom