Well ... this is getting expensive

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Hoag

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
A little over a year ago, I upgraded my underwater camera from an Oly E-PL1 to a Sony A6000 in a Nauticam housing. I also used my A6000 as my "little second body" when shooting above the surface. I was blown away by the A6000 in terms of form factor, image quality, features and ease of use. (I actually like the Fn button and the associated menus. It reminds me of the way I use the Canon "Q Button".)

I was so impressed, in fact that a few weeks ago, when Sony announced the A7iii, and I saw the specs on it I ordered one right away. (Apparently, I am one of the first in Canada to place an order for it.) I will now begin the switch from a Canon 6D and a "bunch" of L Series lenses to a full frame Sony A7iii with Zeiss (16-35mm) and Sony G (70-300mm) lenses (although I did order the A7iii with the kit (28-70mm) lens just to get me started). The one lens that I did keep from the Canon was my Sigma 15mm f2.8 fisheye (with an MC11 adapter) for Milky Way photography.

My A7iii will not be a dive camera, and will remain above the surface. So, in addition to switching out all my gear, it makes sense (to me) to also do a photo trip to check out the new stuff. In the next couple months, I plan to fly into Vegas and pick up a rental car and do a road trip of the US Southwest over roughly the next week. I plan to hit Page AZ (sunset & sunrise @ Horseshoe Bend, Upper Antelope Cyn for the lightbeams), Monument Valley for both sunset & sunrise, then up to Moab to photograph both Arches & Canyonlands National Parks pretty much around the clock. (Sunrise at the Mesa Arch, Sunset at the Green River Overlook and perhaps the Delicate Arch, Milky Way rising behind the Balanced Rock etc.) On the way back to Vegas, if time permits, I might make a stop at Kanneraville Falls. (This is the only part of the trip that I have not already been to.)

What started out a little over a year ago with an upgrade to my dive camera has now become a complete change of my gear and a "shake down trip" to check it out. All this and I haven't even discussed that I will likely need a new computer to process the images from the new camera.

Last edited:
Ouch. This is, indeed, expensive. Have you considered holding off on buying the 16-35mm and 70-300mm until you can test the camera with your Canon L glass and MC-11? As I understand it, A6000's performance with adapted lenses is sub-par, but newer Alpha series cameras are much better in this regard.

What’s that they say about slippery slopes? I cannot WAIT to see photos of your topside trip. That sounds incredible! Please do share if you are comfortable with it, remember to, and have time! :)

Ouch. This is, indeed, expensive. Have you considered holding off on buying the 16-35mm and 70-300mm until you can test the camera with your Canon L glass and MC-11? As I understand it, A6000's performance with adapted lenses is sub-par, but newer Alpha series cameras are much better in this regard.
The new lenses are already sitting in my camera bag waiting for the A7iii to be released. (I can use them on my A6000 as well, so that helps a little.)

What’s that they say about slippery slopes? I cannot WAIT to see photos of your topside trip. That sounds incredible! Please do share if you are comfortable with it, remember to, and have time! :)
I will indeed post some when I get home. Here are a couple that I have shot over the years:
Page AZ 2015-49.jpg

Horseshoe Bend (at Sunrise)

Page AZ 2015-79.jpg

A sunbeam in Upper Antelope Canyon

_MG_3058.jpg

The Mesa Arch at Sunrise

Moab-50lr.jpg

The Milky Way at the Balanced Rock (Arches National Park)

I'm jealous... I want to go! :D :D :D

I don’t say this about places where I can’t splash and dive but ITFA here. :D

I will indeed post some when I get home. Here are a couple that I have shot over the years:
View attachment 452114
Horseshoe Bend (at Sunrise)

View attachment 452113
A sunbeam in Upper Antelope Canyon

View attachment 452115
The Mesa Arch at Sunrise

View attachment 452116
The Milky Way at the Balanced Rock (Arches National Park)

Is there a “LOVE” button I can click? Wow!!!

Oh, and for what it is worth, I hate when people say "Wow! That's a great picture. You must have an amazing camera!"

You would never say to a chef "Wow! That was a great meal. You must have an amazing oven!" :rofl3:

I don’t say this about places where I can’t splash and dive but ITFA here. :D

Is there a “LOVE” button I can click? Wow!!!
Sorry, but I can be a bit clueless at times. ITFA????

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom