http://www.diveheart.org/

Well Wishes for Kimber (TekDiveGirl)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

MaxBottomtime

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
2500 - 4999
I heard that Kimber was involved in a dive accident at the Hogan last weekend and is still unconscious. Does anyone have any news about the accident or her condition?
---------------------------------------------------​
Moderator Note: The following post from Joel Silverstein has just come in today, June 6th, which sheds some light on the situation. It is placed here to make sure you see it first. Kimber needs our support; there is no point at this time trying to guess what the cause of her injury or illness may be.
Rick

June 6, 2006

Kimber’s family understands that you all are her friends and would like some information, to that end I have been given permission by them to make this single statement.

On Saturday June 3rd 2006 Kimber was on our dive charter off the dive boat Lois Ann to the wreck of the Hogan. After her second dive she surfaced, made her way on to the dive platform and informed the crew she was not feeling well.

The crew of the Lois Ann got her onto the deck and began immediate first aid treatment. We then got the boat secured and underway while calling in for assistance from the USCG and other local agencies. She was transferred to primary care within an hour or so of the incident and then taken to a hospital for evaluation, medical care and treatment.

She is still in the hospital and being well cared for. Her family which includes her mother, aunt, and her boyfriend are maintaining constant contact with her care givers, nurses, and physicians. .

Kimber suffered a medical emergency while on a dive boat and was evacuated; this is not a dive accident that needs to be analyzed at this time. It is out of respect for her medical privacy that the family does not wish to discuss her condition. Her family has asked that you keep the chatter on this to a minimum and focus your energies on having good thoughts for her speedy recovery. The community support as demonstrated by the wishes on this board is something simply incredible.

It's natural for all of us who are her friends to want as much information as possible, immediately. However, Kimber's family would appreciate some privacy during this difficult time. They ask that no flowers or gifts be sent to her and that no visitors are to come by. If there is more information that is needed to be released they will do it in due time.

In the meantime, I am focused on helping to properly handle the tremendous amount of administrative effort that follows any evacuation, in order to preserve the critical data.

Thank you for all your support and prayers for her speedy recovery.

Respectfully submitted,

[Edited by Doc to remove names.]

Accident/ Incident Management .

When ever there is an accident or an incident that results in care or evacuation off a dive vessel there are many documents that need to be completed by all the people that were on board, provided care, and helped in any way. These reports are all for Coast Guard, Police, Hospital, Insurance companies, etc. There are certain privacy laws that come in to play that sometimes restrict the information that can be released by parties who were involved. It is common practice that an overall silence be placed on crews and participants while all of this is going on until such time as any particular release is authorized by the patient/victim or their family. While this may not be what is wanted by the “community” this just happens to be the way it is.

I’ve been in the professional end of diving for going on 18 years now. I have seen and been involved in the management of diving accidents and incidents on more than one occasion, I ran an emergency hyperbaric facility in NY for 3 years, I work as an expert witness and consultant evaluating diving accidents and incidents and have a good handle on what goes on here. Suffice to say that Kimber’s first aid, evacuation and transfer to higher medical care was as swift and professional as I have ever been involved in. She is being cared for in the most appropriate place at this time.

I will ask you to respect the wishes of her family, and to appreciate that since this was my charter I am restricted by confidentiality in discussing any particulars. Please find a place in your heart to pray for Kimber’s speedy recovery.

Thank you for your concern.
---end moderator note---

Haven't heard, or seen her posting, thanks for the heads up. I hope she's OK.

I havent heard anything, but will be looking for her closely now. Thoughts and prayers are being sent that direction.. Just in case.

Last I heard, she was doing a memorial dive on the Yukon. Haven't heard from her in close to a week.....

Hadn't heard this, thanks for the update.

In one of my last conversations with Kimber (wed ), she mentioned that she was diving the Hogan on Sat and doing the Yukon memorial dive on Sun. She hasn't checked in since the dives. I hope she's OK.

Wow! I hadn't heard that. Hope she is OK. I have a friend that used to work for her dive op. I'll try giving him a call and see if he knows anything.

Oh no... what details DO YOU KNOW?

Back
Top Bottom