Wenoka Rubber Straps

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

rogersab1223

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Hey all -

I'm sure this is going to come across like a noob question, but I've recently picked up a Wenoka Big Squeeze knife that came with rubber leg straps.

I can't, for the life of me, figure out how to configure the straps so they don't slip through the clips when you tug on it. Does that make sense?

Anyone experienced this?

Also, they're huge. Way longer than they need to be for a calf mount. I'm assuming it's appropriate to trim them, right?

Thanks,
Andy

I would suggest that you get rid of the straps and replace them with surgical tubing. Once you get the tubing tied right they will hold the knife in place even when your suit contracts from the pressure. There will be a little trial and error to get them just right but once you have done that you will only need to slide the knife up your leg and never have to adjust the tubing ever again. The other thing I would suggest is that you wear the knife on your thigh not your calf so the handle is positioned right where your hand would naturally come to rest. This will make it easier to find/reach and make it easy to get yourself untangled should it get hung up on something like fishing line.

Andy,
Many years ago, I did a bit of diving as a Park Service volunteer. The leader required that knife strap ends be taped down smoothly, with knife on inside of leg. I still do it this way today, after first ascertaining the maximum length I would possibly need and trimming accordingly.

Thanks all. The rubber straps came with a weird coating on them that made them slick. I washed it off and neatly cutting and taping them helped.

I'm going to look into surgical tubing as well.

Surgical tubing is not good. It rots and rolls down your leg and if you are not wearing a wetsuit, it will remove the hair from your leg. flat strips of truck inner tube work much better and will last longer..

Can you always reach your calf in an entanglement?
ie. unable to bend over or move your leg to your chest?
Put it on your thigh, kitty corner to the inside and frontside of your thigh.

How many slots do you have for your clip? If it's 3 then thread the strap as follows. Hold the connection prongs to your right; slot 1-3 is from left to right.
Thread upward into slot 1, down into slot 2, up into slot 3. Then back around going down into slot 1. So now slot 1 has 2 straps going through it in opposite feeds. This should keep the straps held in it's place when worn.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom