Went to Balmorhea this weekend

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Bladesmith

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
I'm a Fish!
Swamp divers if you have not gone to Balmorhea, put it on your list of dive sites. This is a great time of year to go there. Great viz,nice water temp,cool stuff to see above and below water. This time of year if you dont own a drysuit its a great place to practice skills.

There were alot of ow students there this weekend fin blending. Wait an hour and its clear again. Nice thing about 22 million gallons a day of flow.

The park is well maintained and run by a great staff. They like divers there in the winter. Not much economy in Balmorhea during the winter months.

Also stop by the Funky li'l dive shop right outside the state park. Darrel is a great guy, if shop is closed call him and he will open it up.

I liked it enough im going back next month, even with a 8hr drive.

Richard

Yup, some partners and I make an annual pilgrammage there every winter. Certainly is a great way to try to beat those "dry-spell blues" for those of us who simply don't like really cold water.

74@ 21ffw surface temp Satuday morning was 36 when we got in around 9:45am

Saturday warmed up to 58, clear no wind. Nice day to dive

Richard, I have been out there once and enjoyed the trek! Besides the park/diving there is alot to see and do in the area.

The last time I went to Balmorhea was when I was at A&M. I will try to make trip this year for sure.

I gotta get out there again! I enjoyed my last trip out there. It was a lot of fun!

Back
Top Bottom