We're Back (two parter)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

GDI

Artificer of Havoc & Kaos
ScubaBoard Supporter
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
I'm a Fish!
Part 1

Howdy folks just thought I would drop you a line and let the members know how our recent trip to the Cenotes of the Yucatan went. The trip was organized by Advanced Diver Magazine/Curt Bowen and was conducted over the period of January 5-16 2006.

This report is from my perspective and I will leave it up to other members of SB to make their own comments.

I departed Tampa at 0630 hrs on Jan 5 for Miami. Arriving Miami early I made my way to the joining flight gate and decided to have some breakfast. I was happy that the airlines didn't hit me for having a very large case with the new baggage regulations. They did get me for being over 50 lbs though and I had to pay the $25 spendoles which was not to bad.

Enjoying my breakfast members of the team made their way into the same restaurant. I moved over to sit with them and introduced myself and learned a little about who they were. Most of these divers were former expedition members but one our very Own Jeff Toorish was a newbe like me. Leaving the restaurant we made our way to the boarding gate when the waiter from the restaurant came over and thought that I had stiffed them for my meal. Yeah he failed to count the cash on the table and thought we gave him a extra big tip. Was this going to be the start of my trip and a omen as to how things were going to go? Thank God things were going to be better then that, I had only need wait and see.

After a short flight we landed in Cancun. I was very quick to get my baggage and clear customs, I pressed the switch got the green light and was clear to go. Our trip was now ready to start, well almost. The rental car company had some difficulty in getting us the vehicles we wanted. The one van was a sluggish gas eating turtle and as we would latter find out the third veh provided was not the Ford F150 as requested but a Chrysler mini van (Am I the only one to see a difference here?) At any rate all the vehicles were now loaded and we rolled off into the Yucatan's interior to a town called Humon. Enroute we had the pleasure of meeting members of the Mexican military who thought it best to search our vehicles before we ventured into the Yucatan. All set we left our hosts and some 4 hours later made it to a church which was to be our home for the next ten days.

Early the next morning after a wake up call by our Poppa Curt the entire team with translaters and guides set out to discover many of the cenotes and what laid beneath them. Not much turned up in the first few we checked out. My turn came as we were looking at our fourth for the day. Located in the backyard of a local Mayan I was lowered into the Cenote into four feet of water. I remember looking around and was amazed at the beauty of the formations of the stalagtites and the water's clarity. Taking care not to disturb the bottom I placed my mask on and lowered my face into the water. Before me were three distinct passages one to the north, one to the east and one to the south. I called for both my tanks. Once lowered I took care to make sure I had them clipped onto my sidemount. Its hard to control ones excitment at such a time. After all these were virgin caves. I decided to take the south passage first. I entered running my reel from the debris mound wondering what lay before me. I saw some blind shrimp and then entered a dome room with a air filled section. Continuing on I came to another dome that had a Bayan trees roots coming through the ceiling. On the northern side there was a silt filled passage that I believe led to the east cave passage. I decided not to push this route at this time. This dome room was the last section of the passage about 200 feet in. I returned to the cavern zone and on my way out came accross a human skull lightly covered in the black silt of the floor near the base of the debris mound. Making a note of it I continued onward to the East passage after relocating my primary reel. This passage winded in a southern route and had stalagtite formations throughout. It also had a couple of dome rooms as big and bigger then the south passage. About 250-300 feet of penetration this passage would end. In the south corner was the same passage I believed I saw from the South Passage. I would estimate the passage to be about 50 feet long. It was very full of silt and again I didn't push it.
Returning to the cavern zone one more time I entered the North Passage and yet again came accross dome rooms. This passage was a bit narrow compared to the others but the dome rooms were even bigger and much higher.
Leaving the passage I quickly completed the recce around the debris mound to see what else may be left to discover. The deepest point of this cenote was not much more then 25 feet. But it was my first ever vigin cave and my first Yucatan cenote dive. After raising the cylinders I was pulled out and convinced that this trip was worth every moment of preparation for it.

Next the team traveled to a location that took us into the bush to a ranchers cattle pen. The well here offered a little bit more of a challenge for entering. After clearing away some of the bush growth I repelled down into it. Deeper than the first one I remained attached to the repel line and placed my fins on my feet. Here I called for only one tank and once getting it rigged I went about conducting a recce. There were no passsages here that I could penetrate as the debris mound met with the cenotes walls pinching me out of what may lay ahead in a limited passage restriction. I did find several pots of different shapes. The larger ones were shaped like an egg and had handles on the sides, their shape suggested that they could not be self supporting. The others were smaller and more round bottomed. I could see that they could be left standing on their own. No passages found I made my exit from this well climbing or rather frogging my way out about 40 feet straight up and around the protruding lip to the wells walls.

Another team member Rusty conducted the next series of dives. Following the days exploration off we went back to Humon to our church home. A quick meal and then out and about to see the town square and what the local people were doing. Humon is a very active town at night.

end part 1

Part 2
The next day off we went investigating cenotes of very many different shapes and sizes. One land owner even built concrete stairs down into the one on his land, they used it for a swimming area and for their water supply. The Mayan people have a religous relationship with the cenotes even to this day. The cenotes are their only source of water as the Yucatan has no surface rivers or streams.

Before the end of this day I would make another dive into what would be my third cenote. Located in a ranchers yard. We hopped the fence walked through the cattle pen and up some stairs to a square well. I was lowered into a enormous room with the walls having a distance that measured better then 80 -100 feet accross and ran straight down into the water a drop of 60 feet from the well. The ceiling was much more flat then other cenotes yet had a rippling of stalagtites. There was a opening in the south wall in which one of the sherpas entered to watch what I was doing. This cenote was deep. We had plumbed the rope to the debris mound and noted that we had water with a 100 ft deep drop. I was lowered into the water placed on my fins and called for a tank. Once secured on my BCD I quickly tested my reg and followed the rope to the top of the debris mound. At 95 feet of depth I tied off on to the rope and quickly did my secondary tie off on a pipe mired into the mound 5 feet below that. Looking around I took what appeared to be the more promising possibility. Heading west I decended at a 45 degree angle. A straight plumet to a depth of 212 feet (for the record I do deep air dives quite often and do not suffer the impairment affects of narcosis at depths as great as 250-300 feet). At 212 feet this passage was still going and my 21 watt HID was not lighting up any walls or floor I could still only see just the debris mound, this was a big room.
Checking my gas supply for the third time on my descent I turned the dive and started heading back to the surface winding up my reel and scanning the debris mound. There were what I thought to be some pots but I could not take the time to confirm them. (this site was redived using a helium mix which was scrounged up and the pots were noted then). My computer had me in deco starting at 20 feet but I made a short stop at 100 feet and then again at 60 feet. These stops reduced my required stop at 20 feet. Having reached 20 feet I waited out even longer then what was required I had cleared my deco obligation yet I decided to then repeat and double the time first required at 20 feet at 10 feet. This having drained my tank to nearly 200 psi I decide to call for my second tank and once I had that I dropped to 30 feet to do 10 foot ascent intervals at 3, 6 and 12 minutes each as a extra added safety against deco. The team was limited in dealing with any deco emergencies should they present themselves so I wanted to make sure I had that extra bit of insurance.

The rest of our time was spent looking in every well and cenotes we could find. Near the end of the trip I assisted Curt and Thadious Bedford in filming work of some of the cenotes. At one of the video shoots the opening required us to squeeze through a hole of less then 2 feet round to a small ledge and then a 60 foot drop to the water. With a depth of better then 120 feet we filmed a hugh stalagtite and some human and animal remains. On this dive we discovered we are not keen on the new 100 watt HID video lights and the constant wine they produced under water when turned on. BUT they sure are Bright!!!! and I guess that was the trade off in using them. The team made a fun dive in one cenote which I was able to shoot some video of my own and Our own SB member Jeff Torrish took some pictures, unfortunately I did not remove the video tapes from my carry on baggage and the security x-ray machine wiped my video away? (that blows and a few choice other words)

During one of our explorations we came accross a old Mayan temple not yet recorded. We visited another one which they had started excavation but never completed it. Here we explored a opening that took us beneath the temple but came to a dead end and a few Wip Scorpions. We did see some stone carvings on one of the adjoining structures. Many cenotes were not diveable due in part to the hugh bee hives that dwelled within and the danger they possed

The team packed up and departed Humon with many great memories and for those of us who were new to the team some new friends. We were able to tally up some money as a appreciation to the Pastor of the church in which we stayed. Curt presented a equivalent of $1250 US for the church. The Pastor was great, he permitted us to film events in the church and even re-enacted some of his moments in giving his blessings for our cameras. I personally enjoyed praying with him and the assistant Pastor each and every morning before we departed for the day. The Pastor does not speak english.

The flight back to Tampa was uneventful. Its nice to be home and I can say that I am looking forward to next year's expedition. This is my report. Maybe Jeff will post some pics like the one he took here (post #9)

http://www.scubaboard.com/showthread.php?t=126671&highlight=ikelite+housings

End part two

Rick,

Nice job describing the fascinating couple of weeks we spent in Yucatan.

Here are a few photos to illustrate your narrative.

Jeff

Excellent report!! Thanks for sharing! Words from you perspective, Jeff? :D

Excellent write-up. Quick question, Are these cave now considered "de-virginized" or do you need to fully explore them further ? :)

Great report Rick! Thanks for the photos Jeff. Sounds like one heck of an adventure for sure!

Very exciting trip -- thank you for sharing it with us.

ScubaG:
Excellent write-up. Quick question, Are these cave now considered "de-virginized" or do you need to fully explore them further ? :)

I guess you could call them that. Some of the caves do require further exploration

So the human and animal remains and other artifacts that you found in these caves, any idea how they came to be there in the first place? I mean did you think these caves could have been dry caves at some point in time or were these artifacts put/dispossed in the sink/caves by the natives?

Also any idea how old they could be?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom