We're leaving for Roatan this Saturday!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

TexasTaxi

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
For our first full blown diving vacation! We've dove on a few other vacations, but none have been dedicated to diving and to say I'm excited is an understatement!

We're staying at Anthony's Key ... and I'm looking at the shark dive. Talking to several people that have been there, it seems that there's just one place that does it, daily. Depending on the shop, or resort, you book through, really sets the price. The first price I heard was $80, and that was direct with the operator. Anthony's Key wants $150.

Trying to save a little, does anyone know the name of that operator so that I could just go to them direct?

You might try posting your question in the Bay Islands sub forum of the Central America forum. Roatan is a Bay Island. You’ll probably get some responses there.

Waihuka is the dive op you are looking for. Good luçk finding their website as Roatan is still full of pirates, the Internet is no exception. I found 25 websites that hit on Waihuka Shark Dive, but they were all resellers.

AKR runs their own boat to the Sharky McSharkface dive site, which is my English transaction for its proper name, Cara a Cara (Face to Face) . Waihuka is located at the Eastern tip of the RTB Airport in Coxen Hole, the dive site is directly South just offshore.

I would NOT ride a boat from West zone around the horn to dive it, there's better than a fair chance it will be a rough ride. AKR might have a boat located on the South side, you take a bus or car to get there, about 1/2 hour from AKR during traffic. Others may offer that, prolly not.

For a canned Shark Rodeo, it's pretty good, as its location is perfect. Sandy bottom in about 50fsw (?) and you get to hide from any current behind a curved coral "gallery" you couldn't design a better shelter.

Pay attention to the dive briefing due to the currents. Waihuka boats have nicely rigged lines alongside to boat and behind it trailing in the current. It's really no big deal, but most people suck it dry in 35 minutes, so BTs are dictated by the lowest common denominator.

Doc's FAMOUS SHARK DIVE TIP #3
Overweight yourself by ten pounds. You want to go kerplunk on the bottom and stay there. I know you won't do this, not until the second time you go, then you will believe.

If you're at AKR, I'll throw in my opinion of the Dolphin Pester. Skip the "dive", do the "encounter" (shallow snorkel depth). Much more touchy feely interaction, but it can be murky. On the dive, all nice with standard Roatan viz, but often, quite often, they make one quick pass through your group and then EeEeeeAwwwkEeeeee (Dolphin for "see you later, mouth breather"). On the Dive, you'll get a picture of a Dolphin, maybe with kneeling divers in frame, so no big moment of NatGeo imagery. On the Encounter, you'll get to hold Flipper and stand in 4' of water. I'm no fan, but you should understand that there's no real magic.

I've been on lots of similar pay-per-play dives, but I will assure you that nothing compares to when you have a chance encounter in the wild- not all that rare...if you just go diving...a lot. Check this forum, last month we had a 12' Hammerhead visit on the Coco View Shore dive, over the years on CCV shore dives I've seen Atlantic Mantas, Whale Sharks and Dolphins, even two Killer Whales. Yes, in the realm of the shore dive. The people sitting at the bar did not. AKR easily offers you 21+ dives in your week. Go do them!

Last edited:
Thanks so much for the info, Doc!
After considering all the transfers and extra stuff, it might not come out to much of a savings (time wise as well) to try to go direct.

The +10lbs is something that I would have never considered, as it goes against everything that we've been taught so far in training, but it makes absolute sense, and we will definitely use that to our advantage.

My wife just finished up 10 months of cancer treatment, in May, and she's looking to relax a little ... so she might skip a few dives, but I'll be doing as many as my computer says I can! Diving the mud holes in Texas isn't all that exciting so when I get more than 10' of vis, I get a little giddy! :)

Enjoy! It's a fun island with great restaurants and people.....AKR does it right too....you'll be hooked by weeks end.

For our first full blown diving vacation! We've dove on a few other vacations, but none have been dedicated to diving and to say I'm excited is an understatement!

We're staying at Anthony's Key ... and I'm looking at the shark dive. Talking to several people that have been there, it seems that there's just one place that does it, daily. Depending on the shop, or resort, you book through, really sets the price. The first price I heard was $80, and that was direct with the operator. Anthony's Key wants $150.

Trying to save a little, does anyone know the name of that operator so that I could just go to them direct?
AKR is on the northwest side of the island. Shark dives are all on the south side. There are several shops from the northwest that will take you there. Check with different shops in the West End.

...My wife just finished up 10 months of cancer treatment, in May, and she's looking to relax a little ...

Me too. Roatan was my first return to weightless freedom.

I scaled back, too. Unlike my standard 32 dives per week, I did 27. Got my Oncologist getting certified, he's coming with my Orthopedic cutter next Roatan trip. I'll have my entire medical staff with me except for that cute Nurse.

€¥(|< Cancer.

I did the shark dive with AKR in June 2017. It was a great experience. I don't remember any of the boat rides to any of the sites in Roatan being a big deal.

They took us down the line to a small sandy bottom next to some rocks and planted us for a few minutes while they fed the sharks. Once the food had run out, we were free to swim around with the sharks. The sharks didn't leave until after we got on the boat (if they left at all).

Also, AKR has "guest prices" that I don't recall seeing anywhere except in person at the resort. Apparently there's lots of folks that dive with AKR but don't actually stay at the resort. Those folks get the "normal" price. If you're staying there you get a decent discount. When it came time to pay the bill, I was pleasantly surprised. This might explain the discrepancy you found in price, I'm not sure.

The various dolphin related things that they have there are also awesome. I loved both the shark dive and the dolphin swim that we did there. We tried to do the dolphin dive, but the dolphins had other ideas on that day so we didn't see them. AKR did not charge us for the dive that lacked dolphins.

I believe they do all their stuff daily, but we had to sign up two days in advance to get a spot because we were with the 100+ person scubaboard group and it kept selling out.

Furthermore.

Anthony's key has two properties. The main property where you stay, and another that I believe is mostly to serve cruise ship passengers. On the days when we dived a site far away from the main resort, we stopped at the alternate property afterward. It's got a pool, food, a zoo, some fake Mayan ruins (or some kind of reproduced ruins). The non-divers in our group were bussed from the main resort to the alternate location and met us there. There weren't any cruise ship passengers at the second property on the day we went. I'm not sure if they arranged it that way or if we just got lucky. The resort staff seemed to REALLY be on top of things so I'd bet it was the former.

Here's how they grouped us up:

DSC09497.Vivid.JPG
After they let us go:
DSC09484.Vivid.JPG

]
Anthony's key has two properties. The main property where you stay, and another that I believe is mostly to serve cruise ship passengers.

The guy who owns AKR (Julio Galindo IIRC) owns a lot of properties. The one named AKR is on the Western end of the North side. All diving is done there, cruise ship or weeklong guest. You won't be bothered by the daily trade as they keep them separate by scheduling. Make no mistake, though, their bread and butter is the cruise ship crowd and the Dolphin show. Weeklong AKR guests still exist because they were historically already doing it and it keeps staff busy between cruise ships. This is why that inviting Twofer Deal is never ending.

NCL is hooked up with AKR ownership and they also operate a small cay renamed as Maya Key on the South side. It is located 600' directly off the Western end of RTB runway, that's puts it visible upon most all landings out the left window. Look fast, 140mph at 60' goes by really quickly. It is a neat little sanitized cruise ship day spot, competing with the other cruise ship port they named Mahogany Bay from Dixon Cove (where the wreck of the Alexander is beached in picturesque decay). MK is shuttle boat close to the Coxen Hole cruise ship port, and unlike AKR, there are no 68 steps up and down to the restaurant.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom