• Welcome to ScubaBoard

  1. Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

    Benefits of registering include

    • Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
    • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
    • You can make this box go away

    Joining is quick and easy. Login or Register now by clicking on the button

Were you able to reschedule your Indo LA due to Covid?

Discussion in 'Indonesia' started by scubaNYC16, May 25, 2020.

  1. scubaNYC16

    scubaNYC16 ScubaBoard Supporter ScubaBoard Supporter

    # of Dives: 200 - 499
    Location: New York, NY
    368
    247
    I'm booked on Blue Manta for Raja Ampat this Xmas. This trip is 7 months out but reached out to LiveAboard.com to find out what the operator's policy is to reschedule in case I can't get there or don't feel safe flying that far. I've been on the boat and love it and would feel totally safe on the boat but traveling all the way from NYC is another story. I am not making any changes now and will wait until the balance is due 60 days out.

    Their Covid policy below is extremely restrictive and not consumer friendly at all. I paid a 50% deposit already and if I can't get their due to a travel ban, flight cancellation or sickness, they want payment in full to be able to reschedule. I find this condition to be very insensitive when having to take 3-4 flights to get there and many divers could be coming from cities or countries that were very hard hit by the virus- "
    anyone choosing simply not to travel due to fear of the outbreak is subject to normal cancellation terms." For the record, Liveaboard.com said they don't agree with their policy and 80% of the boats are letting people reschedule with existing deposits. Have you been able to reschedule with more friendly terms?


    COVID-19 Booking Assurance

    The situation regarding COVID-19 & related travel issues is changing daily. We are doing our best to keep up with the many issues that surround our guest’s ability to travel & join our trips. We understand that this continues to be a concerning time for all & we want to be as flexible as possible for all our guests while still ensuring we are able to support our operation & crew during this incredibly difficult time. For those unable to travel due to COVID-19 related flight / travel bans or who are suffering from related symptoms, if you are not insured for your trip, or your insurance declines coverage for your costs, we can offer to reschedule you to a future KM Blue Manta or New White Manta trip with the following conditions;

    COVID-19 Booking Assurance
    • Trip Credit offer*; valid for 24 months from original trip date, on another KM Blue Manta or New White Manta trip, non-transferable, not to be combined with another offer, subject to availability.
    • New trip price must be less than or equal to original trip booking. If the new trip is of greater value the balance must be collected in full at the time of rescheduling.
    This offer is applicable for those
    • Who have made full balance payment.
    • For whom travel plans have been made impossible due flight ban / cancellation, travel restrictions / or stay home notices.
    • Are unable to travel due to symptoms consistent with COVID-19 or have a travel or contact history which indicates possible exposure within 15 days of departure (Doctors note is required)
    • Note; anyone choosing simply not to travel due to fear of the outbreak is subject to normal cancellation terms.
    • Note; for those who have not made full balance payment our normal booking & cancellation conditions apply.
    • Offer valid for 24 months*, subject to review & depending on continuance of COVID-19 travel issues may be extended.
     
  2. cpace

    cpace Contributor

    # of Dives: 100 - 199
    Location: Seattle
    198
    167
    @scubaNYC16 You are definitely stuck between a rock and hard place. Travel in December may still be disrupted or be less than safe due to the virus. The other issue is what if the boat goes out of business. I typically don't buy trip insurance so can't comment there. If it were me I would probably wait it out as long as possible before canceling then, if necessary, reschedule under the terms you outlined in your post.
     
  3. FishCity

    FishCity Contributor

    155
    58
    I really don't like the "pay in full to get credit toward a later trip" thing. Other operators will let you apply your deposit toward a future if you cancel before payment in full is due.
    And Blue Manta charges a large deposit.
     
  4. scubaNYC16

    scubaNYC16 ScubaBoard Supporter ScubaBoard Supporter

    # of Dives: 200 - 499
    Location: New York, NY
    368
    247
    I hope they come to their senses and become more flexible. Liveaboard.com said that they are advising them to do that.
     
    FishCity likes this.
  5. CWK

    CWK Contributor

    # of Dives: 1,000 - 2,499
    Location: Probably on a LOB somewhere
    1,050
    645
    If you put “Blue Manta” in the thread title you may get more responses.

    I have back to back bookings on Blue Manta and White Manta in September 2020. Balance payment is now due and I don’t see Indonesia sorting out their covid issues within the next 3 months.

    My agent is trying to resolve the issue. I’m sure there are others in the same situation.
     
    scubaNYC16 likes this.
  6. scubaNYC16

    scubaNYC16 ScubaBoard Supporter ScubaBoard Supporter

    # of Dives: 200 - 499
    Location: New York, NY
    368
    247
    Yeah really not cool even more in your situation. To have to lay out all that extra money for a future date with the extra concern that some LA's might go out of business.
     
  7. Jcp2

    Jcp2 Literally virtually diving ScubaBoard Supporter

    1,243
    1,397
    Think of it as a sunk cost.
     
  8. scubaNYC16

    scubaNYC16 ScubaBoard Supporter ScubaBoard Supporter

    # of Dives: 200 - 499
    Location: New York, NY
    368
    247
    Any update on your booking? Was your travel agent able to help?
     
  9. Dan

    Dan ScubaBoard Supporter ScubaBoard Supporter

    # of Dives: 500 - 999
    Location: Lake Jackson, Texas
    7,009
    4,554
    That sucks. I just rescheduled my cancelled July 21, 2020 trip to Guadalupe, Mexico on Nautilus Belle Amie to October 30, 2021. The balance payment is also rescheduled accordingly to later date. So far I only put down $800 out of $3,695.
     
  10. CWK

    CWK Contributor

    # of Dives: 1,000 - 2,499
    Location: Probably on a LOB somewhere
    1,050
    645
    No update. The LOB is probably waiting to be absolutely certain that the trip won’t be able to run before making any decisions.

    My travel agent’s terms and conditions includes a term that allows refund less admin charges for cancellation more than a month ahead. It is one of the reasons that I use them.

    I cancelled more than 3 months ahead, so legally it is my agent’s problem. I think my agent is incentivised to help secure a rescheduling as the alternative is a refund so they will help to the best of their ability.
     

Share This Page