Wes Skiles' Widow Looking For 25 Million from Lamartek

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

If I die while diving my O2ptima, the only thing I want my wife to say to Lamar Hires is "Thanks for making gear that my husband loved diving!"

Definitely a good day for DiveRite and for diving in general.

I recall that previously in this thread, or on another board, individuals mentioned blood concentrations of narcotics.

Did the jury mention this as any part of their statement. Or what was the basis of their ruling.

justice and common sense prevailed ..............

Recreational diving would have been covered. However, as a tech diver and instructor there was no way to get the significant amount of coverage I wanted at a premium that made sense. To cover the type of diving I do was nearly 3x the cost.

That being said, my trusted dive buddy knows that if I happen to die in a diving accident he is to bring me back to shore, strip me out of my gear, and run me over with his truck.

But I've said too much already...

:D

Since the rest of us are not your trusted buddy does that mean that we can skip the diving bit and just run you over with your truck ? :)

The case is officially over. Nobody 'won', but more importantly, Dive Rite did not lose. Well, they won the case but they lost in other ways. So did we, the community.

First off, we lost Wes. There's nothing we can write or say, no blame to assign, no understanding to gain that will bring him back. Vaya con Dios, mi amigo! You've left us a litany of your work, but we were looking forward to seeing so much more.

Secondly, we somehow lost some integrity. People aren't looking at CCRs like some finicky piece of tech gear that only a few will be diving anymore. No, they are looking at rebreathers as a real liability. The NSS-CDS is doing a discover rebreather day tomorrow at Ginnie. Ginnie is not as happy about this as they once were and in fact, I found out from a trusted source, it almost had to be moved. There have been a number of deaths on rebreathers, but this one was different. Wes was an accomplished rebreather diver. Many of us are still coming to grips with the process and a few have even come up with amazing theories to explain the unthinkable. I'm trying to maintain my grip on reality, but one or two of these whacko theories don't sound so whacko anymore.

Most demonstrably, we've all lost a lot of time and energy agonizing over this, and the good people at Dive Rite have lost a lot of money defending their good name. Those are assets that can't be recovered and could have been used to increase rebreather safety rather than trying to assign blame. No, it's not going to stop rebreathers from gaining market share among Scuba enthusiasts, but it could have been better spent. It should have been better spent. The only real winners, as usual, were the lawyers on both sides. Our loss has always been their gain.

Regrettably, I've also lost some respect for a few drama remoras in our industry. They're the ones using these tragedies and subsequent law suits to try and make a name for themselves. They want you to think that they are "in the know" while you're just an ignorant plebe. They are trying to benefit from having inside knowledge that they really don't have. Don't be fooled by their furrowed brows and conspiratorial language. If they seem unwilling to share information it's probably because they're guessing just like the rest of us. Human nature? Sure, why not? I still don't like it or respect that kind of social manipulation. Say it or don't. Just don't try to impress us with knowledge you can't give us.

Just to clarify things for my eventual survivors and possible litigators. If I should die on Scuba or a rebreather: blame me. Blame only me. It was my decision to dive and it was only my decision to dive. No one forced me to leave the safety of breathing at one atmosphere. The only impetus was my own desire to explore what less than one percent of humanity ever gets to see. Blame my arrogance for thinking I am skillful enough and have the right equipment to do this with impunity. No matter how distraught you might be or how forcefully an attorney makes the case that someone should pay for my death, please leave it alone. I would have already paid the ultimate price for my chutzpah. I personally hold the manufacturers, the property owners, the boat operators and anyone else involved blameless. Obviously, I'm not talking about gross negligence such as being run over by a boat, but for almost all Scuba deaths, this is not the case. Let me truly rest in peace, knowing I'm not causing my friends additional harm and angst due to a law suit concerning my untimely demise.

Do celebrate my life. Talk about the stupid stuff I've done or said. I promise not to respond. Dissect my death till you think you have it figured out. Call me a stroke, an idiot or even an accident waiting to happen. If it helps to promote safer diving, I'm all for it.

Just to clarify things for my eventual survivors and possible litigators. If I should die on Scuba or a rebreather: blame me.

I heartily concur with this. Back when I was doing some potentially dangerous diving, I told my family that should anything happen to me it was my choice and my fault entirely and not to sue anyone for my decisions.

I did not know Wes but extend my condolences to his family and friends. I am glad Dive Rite prevailed in this and, like Pete, am saddened by the fact that money that could have made the dive industry better went to the lawyers instead.

I will probably never dive a rebreather myself. As a videographer focused on my filming, I don't pay enough attention to my gauges to feel comfortable using one. I'm just not worthy.

Amazingly well said, Pete! Bravo!

Just to clarify things for my eventual survivors and possible litigators. If I should die on Scuba or a rebreather: blame me. Blame only me.

This part... right there. My wife and I have had this EXPLICIT conversation (we both dive caves and she's about to learn on her rebreather) and keep meaning to put it down in writing somewhere to avoid even the possibility of some nutjob cousin being able to exploit one of our deaths for gain.

Back
Top Bottom