West Caribbean...Non-Excursion Diving

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

scuba_frog

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I am going on a cruise over Christmas with stops in Belize, Cozumel and Grand Cayman...normally, a plethora of dive opportunities. My dilemma is that the Cruise line, Carnival, either has all their dive excursions booked, or because it is over Christmas and Boxing Day, dive shops are not open and no dives are available. Few questions:

1. Have anyone taken a cruise and booked your own dives independent of the cruise ship.

2. If so, what should I be concerned about besides getting back to the ship on time and equipment rental in super-king-size.

3. If this seems like a viable option, do you have any recommendations in these ports that I can contact.

Carnival does have a dive open in Belize. It's $148 WITHOUT any gear. Seems pretty expensive if I have to schlep my own gear down there. That's another frickin' suitcase just for one dive. I don't think so.

Any help would be appreciated.

You can also look into shore dives in Grand Cayman.Eden Rock is within walking distance from the cruise ship pier.They rent equipment .

I have personally done what you are asking about. Both in Cozumel and St. Maarten. It is very easy and usually cheaper and much more enjoyable. I have gotten to the point where I will actively book all of my own port adventures as opposed to booking through the cruise line. i have frequently found myself having more time to enjoy the same outings as the cruise ship bookings. I had a memorable dive in St. Maarten with a pod of wild dolphins. I booked the trip through research before I left. Got to the pier, caught a cab and had a memorable day. If I can help you at all, please pm me

Booking your own dives is really quite easy, though on Christmas Day you might find a few of the normal options lacking.

In Belize the conventional wisdom is that you should go with the tour operator from the cruise line. The ships tender in much further and it becomes an issue with ensuring that you can return to your ship on time.

In Grand Cayman you can contact some of the smaller operators to see if they can accomodate you. Often they have more flexible schedules.

As to "super-king-size" rental gear.... You should specifically discuss your needs with the dive operation in advance. Often the largest available fins go up to size 13 or 15, largest BCDs up to an XL with a waist expander, and rental masks may not be sitable for your face size.

In Cozumel you can use Dive with Martin. They are right inside the ship terminal!

Back
Top Bottom