Trip Report West End Trip Report

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Streydog

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Just got back from an awesome week of diving. I did a dive and stay package with West End Divers and the Mariposa Lodge. The dive shop is right on the road facing the water and the hotel is about a 3 minute walk up the hill behind the shop.

Pricing: Base price was $715 for a room with A/C, microwave and fridge. This was for 7 nights and 10 dives. Additional dives were $35 each. I took my own equipment but if you are diving 10 + dives with them there is no charge. My total bill was just under $1200. But that was for single occupancy, 19 dives one being a night dive and 4 using nitrox. They do offer unlimited nitrox at $100 for a week, only 32%. I only did one nitrox tank a day the last 4 days since I was diving so much, I think it is $12 a tank.

Dive shop: Very well run operation. They do 3 trips a day 9AM, 11:30 and 2:30. They have a very nice large dive boat along with a couple smaller boats, similar to the 6 pack boats in Cozumel. All boats have shade. I was only on the big boat, it is the one that served the 3 dive daily schedule. The large boat is a very nice diving platform, not fast but the farthest sight we went to was under 15 minutes from the shop. A dozen or more divers would have plenty of room on the boat, I think once or twice there were 5 or 6 divers, usually 2-4 on the boat. Dive times were limited to 60 minutes, I think their minimum time is 50 minutes as long as you have air. They did have AL100's available to heavy breathers, I don't think there was an upcharge. My shortest dive was 52 minutes, I had a choice to stay down longer but went ahead and surfaced with another diver that was getting low on air. This is full service valet dive shop. You show up, get on the boat and go. The only thing they don't do is wet suits but hey have rinse tubs on their pier and a place to hang them, then when they close they lock them up for you so you really don't have to deal with them. There is a schedule on a dry erase board 4 days out showing what sites the boat would go to and you put your name on any dive you wanted to but since there was only one boat they made sure all divers could handle the site selected, request for certain dive sites were granted.

Hotel: Looks to be a large wood frame house converted to a hotel. My room had a king size bed that was very comfortable firm mattress. Kitchenette, TV with cable that I honestly did not turn on once ( I watch my fair share of TV at home), two chairs and a private porch with a table, two chairs and a hammock. I used the A/C every night and it worked great. It was a little noisy during the day, always hammering going on, but at night once I turned the AC on I didn't here anything. It is Honduras though, yesterday morning walking to the dive shop a German Shepard was chasing a chicken down the road, the chicken nearly hit me in the chest trying to get away.

I will discuss the diving and try to post some pictures in the next couple of days.

The diving was great. Of 19 dives I may have dove the same site two times. My favorites were West End Wall and Half Moon Bay wall but all were very good. Most dives were fairly shallow, average depth was around 40' and I only dove deeper than 75' on a couple dives. The Aguila wreck and Hole in the Wall were a little over 100'. Most safety stops were done in the shallows where there was a lot of scenery to take in.

I saw 3 seahorses, several eels two free swimming ones right under me, plenty of good size groupers, a few eagle rays, and several turtles. I did not see one nurse shark the whole trip, guess they feed them better in Cozumel. There weren't very many lion fish at the depths we were at but I saw a few hiding under ledges. There were plenty of lobster but I didn't see very many large ones. Saw a couple octopus on the night dive. A lot of little things crawling on the soft corals.

The weather was great, most days it was very calm. It rained a little one day not too much though. Lowest water temperature I saw was 82 degrees. I dove in board shorts all but two dives and was very comfortable.

I was expecting to use more air than I do in Cozumel since there was virtually no current but my SAC was lower than my last two Coz trips, I guess when I stop and look at things in current it cost me more gas than I thought.

No issues at the airport, we were the first plane from the US coming in Saturday morning so it was a breeze. I was able to get on the 2:30 dive boat on arrival day.

Right when my ride showed up to take me the airport for departure I received notice that my flight was delayed, from 1:40 to 3:30. I asked the driver to come back at 1 and ate a good meal in West End. When I got to the airport the line at the AA counter was empty, most people didn't get the word on the delay and had already checked in. The waiting area was packed, three planes were leaving in within an hour of each other but once one of the planes left everyone had a place to sit down.

Coming in to DFW was a breeze. There were no lines anywhere. I had downloaded the Mobile Passport AP, got through the immigration faster than the Global Entry people. You just had to show the agent you had the AP and they waved you through. Didn't really matter since I had to wait for a checked bag. Once I got my bag, I had one guy in front of me in customs, I handed my passport to the customs guy, scanned my barcode on my phone, and was done. The customs officer didn't even ask me any question. If I didn't have a checked bag I would have been out the door from landing in 10 minutes.

Nice report, thanks. Another happy diver to Roatan.

On April 10th you began a different thread expressing concern over this upcoming trip. You were inquiring about advanced diving, AOW, Roatan conditions and dive shop rules.

Finish up your report on that first thread by answering the imponderables that you posed previously.

Here is a peacock flounder we came upon that appeared to be hunting.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom