Western New York Snorkeling Sites???

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Fanatic5

New
Reaction score
I am an avid snorkeler and have enjoyed the sport around Western New York for many years at a couple different locations on Lake Erie. However, these spots are no longer available to the public. Are there any secluded, easy access points to Lake Erie for snorkeling, from Buffalo to Erie (PA)?

This may be a bit far for you, but the 1000 Islands are about 4 hours east from Buffalo. Cape Vincent has a great park for snorkeling and scuba.

I've seen gobbies, yellow perch, white perch, black crappie, dogfish, channel catfish, little and big mouth bass and zebra mussles. Lots of plants as well.

Her's the big bonus -a ship wreck!! This wreck is about 60 - 80 feet long and you can clearly see the ribs of the fish. It's off the end of a now submerged pier. The whhole thing is maybe 30 ft from land and the wall is very shallow in places and swarming with fish.

The water is crystal clear, (thanks to invasive zebra mussels) so visibilty is great. I also like Cedar Point State Park. Same fisk essentially but more boat traffic. Go around the bend away from the beach to snorkel. Extra bonus is showers and changing rooms are available in the park. I think most NYS parks are 7$ to get in.

Back
Top Bottom