Wet-Breathing Abyss Regulator

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

DiverDoug

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I have had an MR-22 Abyss regulator since buying it used from my local dive shop owner in 2003. It has consistently had a problem with breathing wet in certain positions. For instance, if I am horizontal and rotate to my left, I will get water in the reg. Same with going head down: water in the reg. When I'm not in these positions, the Abyss is a joy to dive with -- effortless breathing and otherwise relaible. I've dived with it probably 60 times over the last 4 years. I just learned to simultaneously breathe in and spit out. Annoying, but workable. Obviously not optimal, however.

I have had the reg looked at multiple times, and have spent over $500 in efforts to fix this problem. Most recently, in February 2006, we discovered that the cap of the second stage had a crack around the edge. The local dive shop hypothesized that the crack was causing the wet breathing and rebuilt the thing, with new diaphragm and new cap from Mares. It still breathed wet on my August 2006 dive trip. In February 2007, I had it looked at by 2 different dive shops. The first said there was nothing wrong with it and they couldn't understand why it was breathing wet. The second found a hole on the side of the mouthpiece. I bought a new Seacure moldable mouthpiece, and was eager to see if that fixed the frustrating problem.

In Grand Cayman in March 2007, the problem seemed to be even worse! The reg was wet on rotate left, rotate right, AND head down. I tried out the octo [Aqualung -- no problems in the past], and IT breathed wet, too, and in all positions! Fearing an imminent catastrophic failure, and a possible first stage problem [both primary and octo seconds were wet now], I rented a regulator for the rest of the trip. I had it looked at again on my return home, and the dive shop could find no problem with either the first or second stages.

I just got back from a week in Cozumel, and didn't even bother to take the Abyss -- I used an Aeres ATMOS Sport. It was perfectly fine, but I realized how much easier the Abyss breathes in comparison.

While in Cozumel, a diver I met suggested I post to this board, saying he had had a similar wet-breathing issue with his Proton, and Mares stepped up to the plate and came to the rescue. So here's my question: can Mares fix this regulator? I'm prepared -- reluctantly -- to move on, but if I could get the Abyss working properly again, I'd much prefer that than the ATMOS.

This is my last ditch effort to rehabilitate not only my regulator, but also Mares's reputation, at least in my own mind and opinion. What do you think?

I have serviced many Abyss regs, and this is a very unusual problem. I can only assume that the techs have replaced the exhaust valve, and have thoroughly cleaned its sealing surface. One possibility remaining is that the valve supports have been bent by an overzealous removal effort. This, too, is easy to check.

My first guess would have been a diaphragm with a small hole, but the diaphragm has been replaced.

Greg Barlow
Former Science Editor for Rodale's Scuba Diving Magazine

Doug,

This is not typical of the Abyss, there are many comments on the boards regarding the performance of this reg. There is no way to know if it was not serviced correctly, if it is damaged in some way or defective unless we inspect it. It would be best if we inspected this for you, if you PM me your phone number I can arrange for you to send it to our service center for inspection and overhaul.

Note: I am out of the country, so my access is limited each day.

Regards,

Phil

Thanks for the replies, guys. Phil, thanks for the QUICK reply to my PM. Greg, I believe it had an entire overhaul in Feb. 2006 which, if anything, made the wet breathing even worse. I've pulled out what little hair I have left with this issue over the years. I can't believe I never thought to contact Mares directly. Brain freeze, apparently. Or maybe, permanent nitrogen narcosis....

Nah Doug, it's not brain freeze... In general, people regard their dive shops as the experts in the equipment they sell. Especially if they are authorized dealers. Unfortunately, this is too seldom the case! No one knows more about the gear or cares more about their reputation than the manufacturer. And dealing directly with them is the only way of getting competent service/ help.

This said, there are competent shops/dealers out there. They are just hard to find...

Just my 0,.02$

You ain't just whistling "Dixie," pal. My primary LDS is not a Mares dealer, despite my getting the Abyss from the owner's daughter. I've become more concerned as to the level of their expertise because their service techs seem to be part-time, only coming in now and then. And the other dive shop that looked at the reg at least USED to be a Mares dealer, and they signed off on the thing, too. Twice.

BTW, the customer service guy at Mares, Joe Diamantini, was super-nice, helpful, and really impressed me with his can-do attitude. I'm eager to see if the problem will finally get fixed.

DCW

Don't forget to share what the problem is. I dive An abyss regulator and it has always been flawless. Can't imagine what it could be???????????

Zak and Phil here at the board have many times shown their eagerness to give top notch service at Mares USA. This isn't the case for all manufacturers or dealers. You can feel that they genuinely want you to be happy with their product!

I'm sure they will do all they can to fix it. And at least you know they Do know how the reg is supposed to work!!!!!

Cheers!

I'll be sure to let everyone know the problem when I hear about it. It went out UPS on Friday to the Baltimore service center.

Fingers crossed.

Hi Doug,

Our tech has run a number of tests and has found no leaking or malfunctions, based on your enclosed letter it is only breathing wet in certain positions which he cannot duplicate nor see any reason for this. As Greg states above, this is a very unusual problem.
We will do a complete overhaul before shipping this back to you. Hopefully this will solve the issue, please let us know. At least this time it only cost you the shipping charges to send to us:)

Regards,

Phil

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom